Other Amps

WTF - My amps are beeping

Plugged into my 5222 and I get a high pitched beep. About a beep per second.

Tried another guitar...same thing.

Unplugged from the Monster power strip and plug into two different wall sockets...same thing.

Change amps to my Blues Jr...same thing

Change the guitar cord...same thing

Help is appreciated.

Plugged into my 5222 and I get a high pitched beep. About a beep per second.

Tried another guitar...same thing.

Unplugged from the Monster power strip and plug into two different wall sockets...same thing.

Change amps to my Blues Jr...same thing

Change the guitar cord...same thing

Help is appreciated.

– NJBob

My cel phone causes beeping in my amps when it is fairly close to them.

Mystery solved - my wife was wearing her spinal electrical gizmo that creates an electromagnetic field that stimulates bone- disk healing.

I asked her to switch it off and the beeping stopped.

That’s kind of funny Except for the back issues.

When we lived in Lower Manhattan, there would be the occasional "ConEd whatever" combined with the Building Systems cycling.

After I figured it out, when I was playing I would take it in stride and ponder about being part of a Pink Floyd recording session...

It would go through my Amps, the Land Line, not so much the TV.

I bought a PS Audio Duet Power Center, works great to knock that kinda stuff down...

That’s kind of funny Except for the back issues.

– GaryE

Yeah. I told her: Heal on your own time, not mine.

Electronic devices used to be sheilded from rf interferance. The manufactures lobbyed to lessen the shielding, siting that not all consumers would be affected by interferance. If you look at the back of most electronics, or read the paper that comes with them, youll see a label that states you acept the interferance. Im a ham radio geek, try explaining to your neibor that their brand new tv is a piece of crap! you wouldnt belive what interferes with other devices. Faa has one hell of a time keeping the airports running.

Spurious emissions! Aside from being an electrical nightmare, it's also a great band name.

Electronics pick up stray signals from the oddest places. When I was a kid, our TV was affected by the heater in our fish tank. A guy here in town drove his neighbor's crazy because he hooked a 2KW linear amplifier (for HAM use only) to his CB and the signal beld over into everything with an rf circuit. Another idiot did the same, got routinely drunk and played music and sang and ranted and raved on CB wiping out three channels either side of ch19, so the truckers were more than perturbed. The FCC will find them eventually.

The FCC forced all of the radio and TV stations into going to digital so they could allocate the frequencies to the celphone companies. The FAA has trouble with drones at airports. The FCC could alleviate that by requiring drone ops to have licenses, just like RC airplane's must have. The FCC can also require licenses for wireless mikes as well. It's our government---they don't care. The lobbyists paid for it.

Spurious emissions! Aside from being an electrical nightmare, it's also a great band name.

Electronics pick up stray signals from the oddest places. When I was a kid, our TV was affected by the heater in our fish tank. A guy here in town drove his neighbor's crazy because he hooked a 2KW linear amplifier (for HAM use only) to his CB and the signal beld over into everything with an rf circuit. Another idiot did the same, got routinely drunk and played music and sang and ranted and raved on CB wiping out three channels either side of ch19, so the truckers were more than perturbed. The FCC will find them eventually.

The FCC forced all of the radio and TV stations into going to digital so they could allocate the frequencies to the celphone companies. The FAA has trouble with drones at airports. The FCC could alleviate that by requiring drone ops to have licenses, just like RC airplane's must have. The FCC can also require licenses for wireless mikes as well. It's our government---they don't care. The lobbyists paid for it.

– wabash slim

I guess it was my guitar pickup that picked up the beeping. The beep volume was changed by the guitar volume. Turning the tone knob to 'mud' also killed it.

In the 80's I played the organ in a church not far from a highway. CB conversations frequently were broadcast through the church's cheap PA system at the most inappropriate times!

We'd get taxi cab and construction crews' radio calls over out theaters' wireless mike systems. They were using frequencies that were supposed to be for theater use only. The "colorful language" didn't go over too well during church conventions.

– wabash slim

No license for rc aircraft. (In the states). The only time the gov cares is when interferance bothers airports. They went digital on tv to charge tax on rf bandwith.

Another excellent example of why you should never wear a TENS unit while playing electric guitar.

No license for rc aircraft. (In the states). The only time the gov cares is when interferance bothers airports. They went digital on tv to charge tax on rf bandwith.

– munman

Years ago, you had to have a license for RC aircraft---you needed it to get the crystals for your transmitter and receiver. They required licenses for CB as well, but the explosion of CBers in the '70s overwhelmed the FCC, and, as no one actually complied with that, the FCC essentially gave up trying to enforce it. The only time they got involved is when idiots tried to go from 4-5 watts to a thousand and caused problems for others.

Turn your phone off.

– Billy Zoom

I had this happen to me. I was setting up an acoustic amp for a gig when I noticed some weird static coming through the speaker. I checked everything - my cord, the preamp on my guitar, the outlet I was plugged into - nothing helped. Then I realized I had my phone in my shirt pocket and on a hunch turned it off. Problem solved - and lesson learned!!

In the 80's I played the organ in a church not far from a highway. CB conversations frequently were broadcast through the church's cheap PA system at the most inappropriate times!

– Mark G

In the 70’s my grandparents had neighbor with a CB so powerful it would come through the toaster. Seriously. It would also come through the TV with the TV turned off.

Odd thing, I guess kind of related. I was at band practice last night and kept getting feedback in my monitors. I couldn't make it feedback with my hand over any mic but when I would go to the P.A. to adjust it would stop. Then I'd get up and walk back to my mic and halfway there it would do it again. So, I turned my phone off. It went away. After we had a break, I turned it back on and put it back in my pocket and it didn't do it again. Really weird, eh?

Turn your phone off.

– Billy Zoom

Great advice for many situations.

Register Sign in to join the conversation