Other Amps

Wondering About a Swart

For the past 20 years I’ve played Fender amps, but mine are simply too big for me needs. I’ve got a SF Super Reverb and a black faced 68 Bandmaster Reverb. I play them clean (never past 3 or maybe 4 if gigging) and sometimes add a bit of dirt. I like a big warm sound and both get me there.

Tried a PRRI this year and it was too weak by comparison. Much better through a 1x12 cab.

I now have a 15 watt 1x12 Dr Z (no reverb) on the way. Got a deal on it and am looking forward to trying something a bit different in the small amp category.

I’ve always wondered, though, what if I could take my two-channel Fenders and turn them into a stereo amp. I know this isn’t possible, but then I found out Swart makes a 2x5w stereo head. I could run this through my 15 and 12 cabs as well as use all of my stereo pedals.

Wondering what you Swart experts think? I understand they sound quite different from the Fender BF and SF tones. Some say they are more like a Tweed, so are these only good if breaking up? Would I have manageable cleans compared to a 40w Fender on 3?

Very different but very good. I have a mod84 and love it. Don’t try to make it into something it’s not. Enjoy it for what it is!

Very few 5W amps are clean like a 40W Fender. If stereo is what you want, try daisy chaining the Super and the Bandmaster, or better yet, get a stereo delay pedal.

http://gretschpages.com/for...

I posted this thread a while back and may find it interesting. Don't know it it will work as I've never done it before.

To have a 5 watt amp run all out and clean is a reach as Otter says. I had a Swart MK2 with a 12 " Celestion Gold (20 Watts) and the clean channel broke up when pushed. I also have a Fender CVRR and even on 3 it's loud. So to answer your question, I doubt it.

As Paul says it's a great amp. Sorry I let mine go.

The appeal of a stereo amp has been to have a manageable and somewhat portable stereo setup. I got the BR because the Super Reverb is too much of a pain to carry around. So the Bandmaster Reverb goes into a 1x15 Standel cab.

With the Dr Z and my stereo pedals I can use that and the BR for a stereo rig. (I also have a 1x12 extension cab so the Dr Z can be run as a 1x12 or 2x12). If I’m really ambitious at home I can use the Super as well for a wet-dry-wet setup.

I’m thinking of selling the BR to partially fund the Swart. That way the Swart would be my main “out of the house” rig, and I can use that and the Dr Z around the house, but still have the Super when I want that Fender sound.

Very few 5W amps are clean like a 40W Fender. If stereo is what you want, try daisy chaining the Super and the Bandmaster, or better yet, get a stereo delay pedal.

– Otter

I had a Space Tone Reverb (Swart). 5 watts, lush reverb, clean all the way up the dial. Was a bummer because I really wanted it to be like the rest of the Space Tone series. I have a 1964 Princeton (non reverb). 14 or so watts. Clean all the way. I had a Champ that a guy modded with a bigger output transfomer, 10" speaker and 6L6 instead of 6V6. That thing as a monster and not clean by any measure.

I had a Space Tone Reverb (Swart). 5 watts, lush reverb, clean all the way up the dial. Was a bummer because I really wanted it to be like the rest of the Space Tone series. I have a 1964 Princeton (non reverb). 14 or so watts. Clean all the way. I had a Champ that a guy modded with a bigger output transfomer, 10" speaker and 6L6 instead of 6V6. That thing as a monster and not clean by any measure.

– Bonedaddy

How did that STR differ from other Space Tones? And how did it compare to your Princeton?

I can't really compare it to other Space Tones, as I can only go by video demos; but net net it didn't get dirty at all. With regard to the Princeton, the Princeton didn't have reverb, so there's that. Both were clean, but Swart does its own thing; not really a Fender sound.

Very different but very good. I have a mod84 and love it. Don’t try to make it into something it’s not. Enjoy it for what it is!

– paul pigat

That's how I feel about my Supro TremoVerb. I love my PRRI, but they are different- the high end is different.

I am getting a Swart AST MkII, hoping this year. I fell in love with the AST several years ago when I played one, and it's been on my bucket list ever since.

One thing to think about:
Since getting my Supro... which is comparable to the PRRI in size and volume... it's different enough that the PRRI can't sound like a Supro (unless you mod it with a mid control or something), and the Supro can't sound like the PRRI. They are voiced to do different things.

If I play the PRRI first, then plug into the Supro, it sounds a bit overbearing, and mid-honky. Not as refined as the PRRI. For gorgeous clean tones, it's hard to beat a PRRI.

But if I plug into the Supro first, I have this wonderful, old-school tone... with more mids and a rounded high end... it's a "big" tone, even with only a 10" speaker. Then I plug into the PRRI, and it sounds anemic by comparison.

My point is, neither observation is true. It's all what your ear has just gotten used to hearing, then the comparison makes #2 sound "too different" (i.e., "not as good").

FWIW, the Swart AST is more in the "old school" camp... most people describe it as someplace between blackface and tweed, however I believe an old Gibson Falcon was it's inspiration. They are fantastic, somewhat unique amps.

I've sold every stereo combo amp I purchased. What I discovered is when you have two 12" or 10" speakers right next to each other, you really don't get the stereo effect your pedals or amp are producing. Those speakers have to be farther apart.

Some amps have a side firing speaker, or angled speakers, in an attempt to widen the sound, and my Yamaha THR does some sort of magic that makes it sound wider than it really is (but that only works when it's pointed directly at your head). The laws of physics are extremely difficult to overcome.

Seems like running two amps in stereo, or hooking up an extension cab (where the combo can be right and extension cab can be left channel, for example) would work better.

One of the best tones I've ever heard was a Gibson ES330 reissue into Swart STR. It was just a killer combo!

Register Sign in to join the conversation