Other Amps

Will playing a guitar amp through a bass speaker result in a substa…

I have a 1X12 ported cab with an Eminence Delta 12LFA in it, which is a low-frequency driver and is commonly used as a bass guitar speaker (or a woofer in conjunction with a high-end driver in a full-range speaker).

I know very little about this, but I know that low-frequency drivers have a lot more cone movement than regular guitar speakers, and this one is rated at 400W, 8 Ohms. I played two of my guitar amps through it, a 15W tube amp, and a 100W solid state amp; both were far quieter than they seemed through a standard 12" Celestion guitar speaker. What's up with this?

Likely it's just a less efficient speaker. Like Hammerhands said, it's the sensitivity. Not a problem. As it's rated at 400 watts, it takes far more juice to move the cone.

You may also lose high end since the speaker is designed for low end.

Likely it's just a less efficient speaker. Like Hammerhands said, it's the sensitivity. Not a problem. As it's rated at 400 watts, it takes far more juice to move the cone.

– wabash slim

Okay, that makes sense. Along with the previous comment ^ about it tapering off more high-end than a normal guitar speaker - it does. That isn't a problem for me, but I was really wondering about the substantial volume drop. Thanks y'all!

I have a make-shift Fender "stack" using a closed-back 15" Bass Speaker extension cabinet for the low end, and with a 15" Guitar Speaker in the open-back CVR combo amp on top. The 2 speakers are close in SPL rating, albeit the Bass 15" is a just bit louder when in parallel. The Ohms favor the Bass Speaker...

Sounds great as a team...

If I jack just to the extension cab, it's a "60's Jazz" guitar tone. The Bass speaker only goes to ~3k Hz, the Guitar speaker a little over 7k Hz.

It kinda works for my Super 400, which has a bright overall tone, but not any other guitar in my herd.

Bass speakers don't have more cone movement....Bass NOTES produce more cone excursion, and need a speaker that can handle it. Speaker efficiency is stated a db/1W/1M, which means how many db of sound the speaker produces at a distance of one meter from the cone with one watt of power. Replacing a 95db speaker with a 98db speaker is the same as doubling the power of your amp. Your Eminence Delta 12LFA has an efficiency rating of 94.6db, which is not very loud. Bass speakers are typically lower in efficiency because making the VC gap bigger makes them harder to blow up...they can handle more power, but also require a lot more to get the same volume. The higher power rating makes them easier to sell. It's smoke vs mirrors. Your speaker also has a stated high frequency limit of 3000hz which is pretty dark for guitar, but use your ears. That may be enough for you. If you're using smaller amps, you're going to want something with closer to 98db efficiency, like a Vintage 30, or Jensen C12N.

I converted my Peavey TNT 130 bass amp with a 15" Black Widow speaker into just a cabinet - just took out the amp part and left the speaker. I play it with a Blackstar HT 5R and it sounds tremendous. Great tone and louder than I can stand.

Register Sign in to join the conversation