Other Amps

who’s eaten up w/ white/oxblood Bandmasters?

Oh, I would be if there were any earthly justification.

An earthly justification? What about a message from God? HE just told me to let you know you should buy it!

That's all well and good, but he'll have to produce a signed note of permission from my wife.

And to think that 19 years ago, I paid around $450 for my '65 Blackface Bandmaster head - nah, not for $3500. My old Blackface Bandmaster sounded kind of choked when you drove it hard. I'm not sure if a '62 blonde is different enough, from my old '65, to make it worth spending that kind of coin.

My first Fender amp was a Blonde/Oxblood Dual Showman.

Still kicking myself for not hanging on to that one. It did help fund a B-3 so...

Does blonde/gold (not quite) sparkle count?

I've got the 1961 -- when they still had the tone ring.

I have a Bandmaster 1 x 12 tone ring cabinet from 1961 that I am restoring.

Beautiful! I wish my '64 Bandmaster looked like that!

But at least my '90s Tonemaster does look like that.

I know that when the Tremolux piggyback went into the blackface era, the size of its cabinet increased. Maybe it's just the angle but the Gruhn one in the OP looks like when Bandmaster went from tonering 1x12 (my one above) to 2x12 the cabinet grew lengthwise. Anybody know for sure?

I know a number of guys who use brownface Bandmasters in surf bands. My bandmate Shecky has one, been modded with a Bassman OT, and it's nearly as loud as my brownface Showman.

The brownface amps are beefy, sort of a mid point in the evolution from tweed to blackface. The harmonic vibrato is really cool, and I find the presence control essential for dialing in with hotter single coils like DeArmonds or Mosrites.

The price on this one is in cork sniffing territory, everything better be exactly right. Also, the tone ring cabinets are rare so the collectability skyrockets. A quick search shows there are a couple of "regular" 2x12" 6G7a Bandmasters in the $1200-$2500 range, depending on whether it's the full amp or just the head.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're right about the speaker cabinet dimensions, Knavel.

I was just posting on the looks of course, not the great deal of a price.

I liked the rough white tolex/oxblood scene a bit more than the blond/wheat setup.

In my day a black pane Bandmaster was the hippest things any one could have short of a super Beatle.

I've always liked the tan tolex, but in my rather limited experience, unless you cover them up when not in use, especially if you're gigging, they mark up very easily and are not anywhere near as easy to keep in good-looking condition.

That said, if I was in the market and it was going to stay in my music room, something like that might be easier on the eyes than another black/dark grey/etc face in the crowd.

Does blonde/gold (not quite) sparkle count?

– Jeff H

Nice Tele. What year is it? Looks like the one Bill Frisell plays.

Nice Tele. What year is it? Looks like the one Bill Frisell plays.

– Enis Penvy

That’s my Schoolhoused Tele by Curt Wilson. I found the TK Smith pickguard to add. The guitar is a 2017 but the body is from about 700 year old wood from his 200 year old schoolhouse.

My first amp ,well after my Peavey 120V/12v . It sounds very Fenderish .Tremolux , 2 x 10 speakers. Still have it.

That's all well and good, but he'll have to produce a signed note of permission from my wife.

– Proteus

Sorry pal, even he can't pull that one off.

My maintained ‘64 Bandmaster is quite wonderful. The 212 Cab is retired, but a Tremolux 210 cab is a great substitute.

Maybe the better question is, "Who isn't?"

Or a Bassman or Tremolux or Showman.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're right about the speaker cabinet dimensions, Knavel.

I looked at the "Fender Field Amp Guide" site and it looks like I'm right: The cabinet size increased by 2 inches in length when Fender moved to the 2x12 speaker configuration:

Cabinet: 61: Ported "tone ring", 21" x 30" x 11½" (53.3 x 76.2 x 29.2 cm)

62-63: Sealed, 21" x 32" 11½" (53.3 x 81.3 x 29.2 cm)

My first amp ,well after my Peavey 120V/12v . It sounds very Fenderish .Tremolux , 2 x 10 speakers. Still have it.

– archtopisking

I had a that exact same amp and speaker setup for a few months back in 1990. It was kind of cool sounding in a garage rock way. I kind wish nowadays, that I hadn't gotten rid of it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation