Other Amps

Who makes a good PR clone?

Well you see the pedals up for sale.

That's it.. I'm out...I"m done... I ave been an Old Crank for some time now and I hate Too Many Wires. Going back to an amp with onboard trem and reverb. Delay might be my only other pedal.

So for my 2 electric guitars, a six and a 12 one into each input of a PR is what I need/all I need.

Didn't silver panel PRs start to move a way from black panel spec around 1972 or so? I don't need black panel mojo... just good onboard verb and trem.

Wast thinking a clone since as cool as PRs are they are just not enough bottom end thru a 10. Thought of Mojo doing a cab where I could honk a 15 in there.

I know there are new supros that might fit the billl but think I will stick with the PR scene.

Check with Toxophilite as he built a Princeton Deluxe Reverb as he calls it. I had a '63 6150T and as fun as it was the Supro circuits are a different animal than a PR. I have '70 PR now and it seems to sound like what I remember the '73-ish PR I had.

Lotsa guys building these.

Lotsa guys building these.

– Powdog

Hmm maybe it is time to talk.

I've long been tempted to try my PR chassis in a 4x10 cabinet.

I’d say look at Lil’ Dawg Amps and our own Cave Valley Amps

Based on my experience with Ethan at Cave Valley, I wouldn't hesitate having him build me an amp.

Delisle, maybe a good name to throw into the ring maybe?

Jer and Ethan need to collaborate on a GDP amp. Low wattage, supports a 12 or 15, maybe switchable voicing to cover the essential colors.

One feels disloyal recommending one or another.

But that leaves out Josh, Tavo, and Winnie.

Maybe they could ALL put their heads together on a GDP amp: The Committee.

We're cursed with the blessing of a surfeit of great GDP-associated amp builders.

"One feels disloyal recommending one or another."

IMO, not really. I think folks "recommend" builders that they have dealt with, and have a good experience with.

I think that most people haven't had the luxury of dealing with each great builder for an amp. So, we have folks making good comments/recommendations about the experiences that they did have. No disloyalty there, just sharing their experience.

We are fortunate to have so many good folks on the GDP that offer amp building, amp hot rodding, and amp servicing.

Each has their way of doing things, and this may or may not work as a builder collaboration for a "special GDP" amp.

Kind of like Tru-Arc and Comptom joining up for the ulimate "GDP Bridge."

Probably won't happen I'm guessing. Nice thought? Maybe, maybe not.

Thanks for recommendation, guys! There's also the "Baxter" amp.... Princeton Reverb, 5E3 Deluxe, 5F11 Vibrolux, and a variation of our Rutgers in one amp. This one was paired with a Weber 12F250 and 12A125A for blackface and tweed tones. Individually selectable or paralleled. It could be made in a combo too.

"One feels disloyal recommending one or another."

IMO, not really. I think folks "recommend" builders that they have dealt with, and have a good experience with.

I think that most people haven't had the luxury of dealing with each great builder for an amp. So, we have folks making good comments/recommendations about the experiences that they did have. No disloyalty there, just sharing their experience.

We are fortunate to have so many good folks on the GDP that offer amp building, amp hot rodding, and amp servicing.

Each has their way of doing things, and this may or may not work as a builder collaboration for a "special GDP" amp.

Kind of like Tru-Arc and Comptom joining up for the ulimate "GDP Bridge."

Probably won't happen I'm guessing. Nice thought? Maybe, maybe not.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Exactly. I suggested Lil' Dawg purely because I've had great experiences in working with Jim N. I also suggested Ethan at Cave Valley because, from everything I've seen by him, he can build dang near anything someone could dream up!

If you can find one, Gomez made a PR clone with a 15, the G-Reverb.

If you can find one, Gomez made a PR clone with a 15, the G-Reverb.

– FritzTheCat

Oh man, if only I had "discovered" Gomez before he shuttered the shop! The G-Reverb is awesome!

Headstrong amps build a killer Princeton Reverb - with a 10 or with a 12, check out their "Little King Reverb"

I have a BF chassis and face plates from Nujwut sitting on the shelf. I plan on building a BF clone when I get around to it. Being a Yankee means everything is for sale

Based on my experience with Ethan at Cave Valley, I wouldn't hesitate having him build me an amp.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Dang that means I'd have to sell the brown VibroChamp

The PR circuit changed very little from BF to SF. I dropped a good 12" speaker into my 1972 PR and use it for almost everything. It is not necessary to cut a larger hole for the 12", the little bit of overhang around the edge of the cone does not at all affect the sound. The sound guys always love it.

An amp by committee would be fun! As we found out on the Lawrenceville, a 25K midrange pot makes that platform really versatile.

Well will modify my rant... besides our many fine builders, is there one that has just onboard reverb, no trem? I have come to prefer Boss trem over conventional tube trem... maybe heresy to some but it's just kind of long term relationship

Register Sign in to join the conversation