Other Amps

What is the State of Solid State Amps?

I've been intrigued with some modern SS offerings since purchasing my Quilter Micro Block 45 a few years back and being really impressed with the tonal quality. Obviously considerations of weight and cost factor into why these are becoming more and more intriguing to me.

I've seen several reviews from GDP members on various models, but I was hoping to maybe consolidate some of the experiences/ opinions into one thread.

So I'm curious about several makes and models , some being just straight-up solid state amps; while others have some modeling features, but wouldn't necessarily be considered "modeling amps" per se.

So here is the list of the more intriguing offerings as of late:

1. Fender's Tone Master Deluxe

2. Boss Katana 100 MKII

3. Roland JC-22

4. Roland Blues Cube

5. Quilter Mach 2

If you have any experience with the above, feel free to chime in or add any other models you deem worthy.

Had a Blues Cube and JC-22 ... they didn't have enough lo-end for me.

Had a Blues Cube and JC-22 ... they didn't have enough lo-end for me.

– DCBirdMan

Are we just talking a lack of bass response here, or are we talking about the amps being over all thin and toppy?

what's the speaker in a JC-22?

and here i was hoping i was going to be able to come in, say "solid," and make a funny. sigh.

Many people who usually play through tubes have been very impressed with Fender's Tone Master amps.

what's the speaker in a JC-22?

– macphisto

2 x 6.5" of no specific brand, according to MF's specs. Now that I see the size, dcbm's comment makes sense.

i've also heard good things about them. if i was looking for a new Fender amp i might check one out.

Many people who usually play through tubes have been very impressed with Fender's Tone Master amps.

– Bob Howard

That's what I've seen as well, Bob. That might be why it's top of the list.

Line 6 should be added, the Katana and Fender Deluxe seem to have gotten high marks around here in past threads.

I've been intrigued with some modern SS offerings since purchasing my Quilter Micro Block 45 a few years back and being really impressed with the tonal quality. Obviously considerations of weight and cost factor into why these are becoming more and more intriguing to me.

I've seen several reviews from GDP members on various models, but I was hoping to maybe consolidate some of the experiences/ opinions into one thread.

So I'm curious about several makes and models , some being just straight-up solid state amps; while others have some modeling features, but wouldn't necessarily be considered "modeling amps" per se.

So here is the list of the more intriguing offerings as of late:

1. Fender's Tone Master Deluxe

2. Boss Katana 100 MKII

3. Roland JC-22

4. Roland Blues Cube

5. Quilter Mach 2

If you have any experience with the above, feel free to chime in or add any other models you deem worthy.

– AndyJ

I have a 100w Katana head (Mk I version) and 2x12 cabinet. Excellent amp. Does a lot of things very well. And it is ridiculously loud. I can get nice and gritty and back off the volume of my guitar and it cleans up like you'd expect. Plenty of low end. All the built in Boss pedals is a bonus, but I don't fidaddle with that too much. Lots of good just tweaking presets. I'm not much of a tinkerer.

I have a 100w Katana head (Mk I version) and 2x12 cabinet. Excellent amp. Does a lot of things very well. And it is ridiculously loud. I can get nice and gritty and back off the volume of my guitar and it cleans up like you'd expect. Plenty of low end. All the built in Boss pedals is a bonus, but I don't fidaddle with that too much. Lots of good just tweaking presets. I'm not much of a tinkerer.

– Bonedaddy

That is good to hear. Does yours have the acoustic channel/setting ?

That is good to hear. Does yours have the acoustic channel/setting ?

– AndyJ

Yes. It's very usable, as it's not modeling an acoustic sound it's just amplifying one.

I have the original Boss Katana 100 watt 2x12", and it is a very nice amplifier. It does everything I can imagine a modern amplifier should do, and then some. You need to hook it up to a computer to get the best tweeks out of it, or your phone with the Katana Librarian app. The Tone Studio software (PC) and the Katana Librarian (Android/iOS) are very easy and intuitive to use. Boss gives you access to over sixty different downloadable effects, and fifteen can be in the amp simultaneously. Do yourself a big favor and buy the optional six button Boss GA-FC footswitch when you buy the amp. It will give you complete control of your amp via the footswitch. It shouldn't be an optional component, but they sting you for an extra hundred dollars for the footswitch controller.

Second Wade H's suggestion about the footswitch. Also get an expression pedal as you can program that for lots of stuff, for example wah or volume.

Second Wade H's suggestion about the footswitch. Also get an expression pedal as you can program that for lots of stuff, for example wah or volume.

– Bonedaddy

@Wade & bonedaddy: Good reviews and tips regarding the Boss Katana , fellers!

I always felt that the Behringer GM110 amps were highly underrated. Solid state but all analog and a hell of a great home practice amp.

I can talk about the Katana and the Quilter

Having a Twin Reverb, a Bassman 59 LTD and a Marshall Origin 50H, (witch I do) they have no point

The Katana has lots of noises, sorry, sounds and none good. None volume, none tone, lack of dynamics and low end. Sounds thin.

The Quilter may have a good clean but I don't play clean

The problem of those two is the lack of dynamics and if you put a TS808 in front of the amp, it is converted in a tremendous fuzz box

I wanted to like them, I was looking for a cheap and light gigging amp to move everywhere and leave the TR and the Bassman at the studio... I ended buying another Marshall Origin50, the combo this time. No regrets at all

I have limited experience with a Quilter Tone Block 202 and it blew me away in the little time I had with it. It sounds just like a real amp!

I’m not a fan of the Katana, I’ve played one a few times and just found it a bit flat. I don’t like anything that has too many options really. Maybe I’m just an idiot though.

Quilter Micro Pro user here for the last 4 years. Love it to no end as a pedal platform,not to crazy about it's boost channel. I have several new and vintage tube amps,but this one is on 90% of the time.

Hotone makes some kick a$$ little 5 watters in boutique modes to blast thru a cab.

This is a great topic. I am curious about the Fender Tone Master Deluxe and am specifically interested in how it sounds when using the built-in attenuator.

I currently have a solid state stock Fender Champion 100. It has a good clean blackface channel and a good modding platform if you have the patience to adjust the analog knobs to your liking. I also have a modded hybrid Fender Super Champ XD in a mahogany (I think) cabinet with a birch baffle and a Celestion G12H 30 Watt Vintage Series speaker. It gets used the most. Neither amp gets played above 3 on the volume dial.

Both amps are “good for the money” amps. I am curious as to whether or not anyone thinks that a Tone Master is a worthwhile upgrade. I think that solid state is the way of the future and like a couple of other models as well.

I have limited experience with a Quilter Tone Block 202 and it blew me away in the little time I had with it. It sounds just like a real amp!

I’m not a fan of the Katana, I’ve played one a few times and just found it a bit flat. I don’t like anything that has too many options really. Maybe I’m just an idiot though.

– Tsar Nicholas

I'm not a huge fan of knob turning and tweaking either. I actually went in to the Katana knowing I wouldn't use all that tone studio stuff and tweak it and fiddle with minutia. I haven't had any issue finding sounds that work for me. And the post above talking about it not being loud? Um, no. It is insanely loud. Maybe his is defective or he's got it set on the 0.5 watt setting.

Great stuff. Very useful.

AFAIK, only Randall & Quilter have figured out how to make a Solid-State guitar amp sound good. It's not that hard, but you have to understand tube amps first.

Register Sign in to join the conversation