Other Amps

What Fender amp?

O.K. sumpthin' happened and you don't have ANY amps any more, not one! Still have all you guitars but no amps. And somebody made the silly rule that you can only have ONE amp and it's gotta be a Fender!! Which one is it gonna be? I'll wait a while before I post my pick! Thanks, Steve

If it fits within your power demands, then a Deluxe Reverb. If you need something more powerful then a Deluxe Reverb and a good mike.

I think a 6g9b tremolux. Low plate v - you can run with 6v6 at 8ohm or 6l6 at 4ohm. Can have diff cab combos and an ext verb or echo.

And those great thick blonde/brownface tones

So many to chose from... I'm posting a 1981 Champ II here in a little white. If you are into the Modern World Fender amps a tweaked /modded Blues Jr. is a good bet.

narrow panel tweed deluxe.

Does it all and boy they smell good after being played a few hours...

This one particular blonde/brown Bandmaster head I heard at Roadworthy Music in Bloomington, IN 10-15 years ago. The amp is long-gone, and so is Roadworthy - but that was a honey.

Then I could use choice of cabinet for the purpose.

Otherwise, a blackface/silverface Deluxe Reverb. I have a nice one, so I'm probably good.

Deluxe Reverb for most uses. Probably the best all around Fender amp you can find.

Princeton Reverb.

For me it's a toss up. I have an old Princeton Reverb with a 12 inch JBL D120 and it's a killer! But I also have a Fender Bassman 20 with a 15 inch speaker and no reverb or tremolo. And it too is mighty fine. Like a Champ on steroids! With an Aphex pedal, and/or a good reverb pedal, and/or a good tremolo pedal combined with that big ol' 15 inch speaker you can really get some nice fingerstyle "Chet" tones! Purdy good just "as is" too! Nothing like a Standel or clone but nice for a Fender! Not too big or heavy either! Try one out if you ever get a chance!! Steve

Princeton does it for me.

I haven't had the breadth of experience with Fender amps that most have. I've got a DRRI and just picked up a '65 Princeton Reverb RI. Between the two I'd go with the DRRI.

I'm gonna derail on a separate thread about a 12" into a PRRI.

This 5e7 BandMonster 310 when Powdog and I get done with it

At this juncture, I’m gonna throw my own hat into the Deluxe Reverb ring, although I do also see the merits of a CVR with hiss modded out, personally, or a Super Reverb.

Vibrolux reverb, probably silverface, with efficient speakers Plenty of clean volume for any sized venue Not too big and heavy. Nice 2 x 10 sound.

Although I like the DRRI and think that the best amp I every heard a few Gretsches out of was a Super Reverb, my recommendation here is a Super Champ X2 head and cabinet combination. If you are limited to one amp, why limit yourself to just one when you can get a modeling amp that will imitate several that you might like? I’m not debating that they sound identical to the real deal, but close enough to get a bang for your buck.

Tweed Bassman 5F6A!!! Next best thing (and about $10k cheaper) is a Super Reverb. Never a better time to buy one. Prices are in the basement.

Find a 1964 or 1965 Deluxe (non reverb). Best amp I ever heard. Got one. I’m done.

BF Vibrolux reverb is the best all around amp Fender ever made. Having said that, I use my BF Deluxe Reverb and Princeton Reverb more just for the weight savings.

Although I like the DRRI and think that the best amp I every heard a few Gretsches out of was a Super Reverb, my recommendation here is a Super Champ X2 head and cabinet combination. If you are limited to one amp, why limit yourself to just one when you can get a modeling amp that will imitate several that you might like? I’m not debating that they sound identical to the real deal, but close enough to get a bang for your buck.

– Baba Joe

Thanks Baba, this is the amp I always tout as tremendous bang for the buck! I'll just add that there's a combo version of this amp that while having the same head, has an anemic 10" speaker. Don't touch it!

A few years ago while looking for a smaller amp, I played the combo in a store and it wasn't worth a pinch of coon shit. A month later the stack was for sale privately, new and never played and the difference was day 'n night. I took my modded SC along to try it and the seller was astounded at the sounds coming out of that amp!....and from my guitar! He'd bought the amp and then had to move and to smaller digs so couldn't keep it. I paid half price. It's really a very versatile amp with many usable voices and the usual effects. It will give a DRRI a run for it's money plus goodies it doesn't have for much less.

There's good deals to be had on many SF models that are cheaper than reissues and better built. For a small amp, there's always the DR, but as Toxo mentioned, the VR (2x10") is a real sleeper! I have a mint '71.

This Bassman:

It Would help to be able to play like Mark (the fella demoing it) as well but that's another issue altogether.

Though I'd love a Deluxe Reverb some day, if I would be limited to one amp that has to be a Fender, I'd choose a Supersonic.

BF Vibrolux reverb is the best all around amp Fender ever made. Having said that, I use my BF Deluxe Reverb and Princeton Reverb more just for the weight savings.

– spike

+1 in all aspects. For gigging my brother's BFVR was simply the best I've heard. But I also used his BFDR for recording live tracks in the studio and it was everything and anything I've ever needed.

This one particular blonde/brown Bandmaster head I heard at Roadworthy Music in Bloomington, IN 10-15 years ago. The amp is long-gone, and so is Roadworthy - but that was a honey.

My brother has a 61 Bandmaster back in the USA that we bought off of the original owner. I played it a few years ago and I've really heard anything like it. Another amp he has that is mind blowing is a late 50s tweed Fender Harvard.

These days it comes down to weight/portability/versatility and hence the BF Princeton/Deluxe widespread general preference.

Princeton Chorus.

The greatest little secret in music. That amp is the best piece of musical equipment ever made.

Vibrolux reverb, probably silverface, with efficient speakers Plenty of clean volume for any sized venue Not too big and heavy. Nice 2 x 10 sound.

– Toxophilite

The Vibrolux really is the sweet spot

Register Sign in to join the conversation