Other Amps

What does a “blackface preamp + tweed power amp” combo sound like?

Hi guys.

I'm asking myself (and now I'd like to ask you): If you combine a full blackface preamp stage with a tweed power amp stage... What would it sound like? What would be the dominant part? Is there a known amp on the market that is like this? Let's say around 20 watts, full eq, reverb.

It probably won't sound in-between as the brownface amps do. But what to expect? Any ideas?

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Tweed circuits changed a lot over their 10-12 year run while Blackface preamps changed very little. I think the overall stink would be created by the preamp. Very lossy compared to a Tweed. You could get 20 watts with a cathode biased 6L6 tweed power section. Earlier power tube distortion, less clean headroom. With the standard bypass cap, the bottom end would be looser than a BF fixed bias power section.

Have you ever played a low-power Tweed Twin? I would think that’s a pretty sweet middle ground.

Thanks, Powdog. I haven’t played a low-power tweed Twin so far. Still I‘m vaguely looking for an amp that has more warmth and woodiness than my Deluxe Reverb but keeps some sparkle. And I do love tube driven spring reverb. A German company offers a handwired 12“ combo with said features in a slightly bigger (almost square) cab. I have no chance to test it locally, though.

Sounds like you should try a brown face amp. I have a 1962 Fender Pro and It may fit your requirements. Thanks John

Hi John. I‘d love to check out some brownface amps but they are very hard to come by and expensive here in Europe. I’m sure a 63 Vibroverb would be a perfect match for me but that’s so out of reach on many levels.

Which Tweed amp?...they're all different.

Assuming something like a tweed Deluxe vs. a blackface Deluxe I'm guessing you might mean a blackface tone stack and a cathode biased power amp section? An Egnater Tweaker can be like that. You can switch between Marshall, Fender and Vox preamp/tone stack sections with a cathode biased power stage (6L6 or 6V6 friendly)

Assuming something like a tweed Deluxe vs. a blackface Deluxe I'm guessing you might mean a blackface tone stack and a cathode biased power amp section? An Egnater Tweaker can be like that. You can switch between Marshall, Fender and Vox preamp/tone stack sections with a cathode biased power stage (6L6 or 6V6 friendly)

– guitarcapo

Yes, something like that. Blackface tone stack with 6L6 equipped cathode biased power amp (ca. 20 watts).

Have you tried this? What does it sound like?

Carr Rambler is like what you are describing. Sounds great, portable and very well built!

Blackface pre with mid knob, trem and reverb; Cathode biased 6L6 (like a tweed) power section (no biasing when changing tubes); and Pentode-Triode switch for 28 or 14 watts.

http://carramps.com/product...

You can use any octal power tube (that will fit) in an Egnater Tweaker and it has a selector switch for either a Vox, Marshall or Blackface preamp.

In my experience, a 6L6 has a bit more of a "mid scooped" quality compared to a 6V6. The blackface tone stack is in that same direction...so the sound might be bright with a lot of defined bass for great cleans...but the overdrive might be kind of fizzy. The speaker might have a lot to do with the sound as will the pickups and tone settings.

I love the Egnater head because it has a lot of tone shaping features in a small inexpensive package. I'd suggest picking one up and trying all the different settings with different tubes and speakers. My favorite so far has been the Fender blackface with 6V6 tubes into a nice Jensen C12N.

Register Sign in to join the conversation