Other Amps

Vox” style amps

I had a Selmer Zodiac combo with the neon blinking light on the front, and put a pair of ATC 12"s in it. It was the most amazing amp I ever had and would blow my AC30 with back boost away.

Take a look at an 80s KMD GV60 tube amp.

I've got one, my first amplifier ever, and it's great, loUDDDD, and clean.

If you find one, they never caught on, and they are cheap.

...------

I had a Selmer Zodiac combo with the neon blinking light on the front, and put a pair of ATC 12"s in it. It was the most amazing amp I ever had and would blow my AC30 with back boost away.

– richie...

Yeaaaah! I had a Seller Zodiac twin 50. Bought it for 10 quid when I was a kid in the 70s. Sold it to Boz Boorer who past it on. I still search the web for it.

Could never get it to break up, guess I never had it up full though. Beautiful tremolo

My mate had a croc covered Selmer Treble & Bass head back in the early 80s but he traded it in for a Marshall. I simply couldn't fathom why he thought the Marshall sounded better, but I don't recall the Selmer sounding particularly Vox-like.

Personally I think 50s Gibson amps are undervalued and if you pair up a GA40 or a GA20 with a Celestion Blue or a Weber equivalent, you may be surprised how Vox-like they can sound - particularly the tremolo channels.

Traynors are killer amps, but i'm not sure they qualify as "Vox-like." my secret weapon amp is a Laney VC30 212, which is more or less a Vox power stage with a Marshall-esque tone stack. it's loud as hell, and you can find them for relatively cheap.

Traynors are killer amps, but i'm not sure they qualify as "Vox-like." my secret weapon amp is a Laney VC30 212, which is more or less a Vox power stage with a Marshall-esque tone stack. it's loud as hell, and you can find them for relatively cheap.

– macphisto

First time I see a VC30 mention here that’s not mine. I have a mid ’90s 210 version. Very underrated amp.

while not exactly old and weird, as a person who voxes, i'd be remiss if i didn't mention vox. they vox fairly well. unlike fender or marshall, i don't think the clones do a better job. I'm partial to the handwired line, myself. i get all the volume, power and tone from the 15 but the ac4hw is a neat little secret weapon, provided you have a nice eq in front like i do. don't love it nearly as much without one, and with a pedal in front, i get a really neat exploding small box sound out of it. its underrated with that (fairly huge) caveat.

First time I see a VC30 mention here that’s not mine. I have a mid ’90s 210 version. Very underrated amp.

– sascha

210 you say? hmmmm I've always been a fan of 210s

Peavey Delta Blues of course. EL34's and I like the 2x10 version. Good mid range punch without the big 15" boots on! But most seem to prefer the Delta Blues with the 15" speaker

while not exactly old and weird, as a person who voxes, i'd be remiss if i didn't mention vox. they vox fairly well. unlike fender or marshall, i don't think the clones do a better job. I'm partial to the handwired line, myself. i get all the volume, power and tone from the 15 but the ac4hw is a neat little secret weapon, provided you have a nice eq in front like i do. don't love it nearly as much without one, and with a pedal in front, i get a really neat exploding small box sound out of it. its underrated with that (fairly huge) caveat.

– feet

Have to agree. There is a pretty good variety of new Vox amps that "Vox well"

I don't necessarily buy into the " It has to be vintage to be good," or "Anything new is junk." There's both, in both.

Obviously the budget usually helps dictate what can be obtainable, but for myself, I don't overlook new or newer products.

There's some real gems in the current Vox line up.

I am totally in to Ampeg and Vox amps. If you want that sweet chimey Vox clean and rocking crunch get an AC10. It is not as heavy as a 15 or 30. But I will also tell (ala Tim) you the HoTone British Invasion (Vox) is quite nice too. Another consideration might be (I have one) the new Vox Super Mini Beetle. It is very Voxxy and loud for a little amp plus it comes with reverb and trem.

Have to say that the little AC10C1VR that I recently picked up is just a real treat to play through.

Just a fun amp to have for that Vox tone. It's sticking around my old barn.

Register Sign in to join the conversation