Other Amps

Vox” style amps

In another thread I mentioned that I've been playing deluxe reverbs since i pretty much started playing guitar.

my new band is going for a bigger gain-ier sound and some folks have told me to give vox amps a go.

I absolutely have an affinity for older amps and older vox's sell for pretty high prices and i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for older wierd and wonderful amps to look at.

I've managed to find some older amps from danelectro and airline that i think are awesome, but i worry they're just deluxe circuits in different boxes.

hit me with some ideas!

Alamo, Traynor, Ampeg, Silvertone, just to name a few.

Bigger? Gainier? Do you mean louder...?

Music Man are pretty big/loud.

Here is a demo of the Vox AC10 Custom. It’s not vintage but no one will know that but you. This thing is loud, don’t let 10 watts fool ya..... and the guy doing the demo is a “wierd dude” too, check out the mullet! It really is a great amp. I will mic mine for larger shows, but most times it’s just this little monster hypnotizing the crowd with sonic goodness.

I would recommend talking to Jer DeLisle (Mugsy) over at De Lisle Amps. I know you like older amps, but he has some Vox inspired models based upon the vintage circuits with the EF86 preamp. Jer can also modify an existing model to your preferences. His prices are very good for handbuilt pt to pt. You can get your cake and eat it too.......vintage tones with bullet proof reliability at a very reasonable price point.

I have an Ampeg V2 head that I am running through a cheap Crate 4x12 cab for the time being. If you look at the "leftover amps" thread I think the third one down in the pic might be a V2. Everybody thinks ampeg=bass, and even though its supposed to be a guitar amp, it does kick out a ton of bass. Its a 60 watt monster, it actually shakes my house. Mine breaks up pretty easily and its got a pretty good snarl. Not to mention nice sounding reverb. Plus its got an early 70's cool to it. Something to look into.

Never played one myself but every Selmer amp I heard sounded great. U.K. vintage. No idea if U.S. versions are available. And they look so cool.

Tavo makes an amp or two.

Good luck finding a Selmer here in the US.

Tavo makes an amp or two.

Good luck finding a Selmer here in the US.

– wabash slim

Re: Selmer: I‘m sure Buddy wants anything but ordinary. Is there a 120V version?

These old Selmers sound nothing like a Vox from that period, especially the later "croc skin" models like the one in the pic.

Believe me, I was there. As soon as you could afford an AC30 the Selmer was gone.

That studio in- B-more has a snakeskin Selmer but it's stupid hi - $.

I say a tweaked T-Vox Royal Guardsman head in to a compact 2-12 cab.

Any early-mid 60s Ampeg combo amp will sound great - though neither particularly Voxlike nor Fenderlike. They were designed and intended for clean playing, no distortion allowed - but get a low-wattage one and, cranked, they give up the goods in their own pleasing way.

And I second the Silvertone notion - if you play loud enough, even the Twin Twelve piggyback will grunt admirably (and it was the Jack White amp back when started out, so there's that reputation). At full roar, I'd characterize it as a nasty barking snarl. At lower volumes, it has a pleasant (though a little spongy) clean tone. The combos sound similar - but the Twin Twelve is both light and pretty portable for a 2-12 combo, and isn't stupid (read Fender-Twin) loud, so might still be clubbable when dialed pretty flat-out.

If you find old Ampegs, you probably want to stick with combos and stay away from the Portaflex 1-12 combo, though, as it has enormous headroom, and doesn't really want to get dirty. (Though when it does - really LOUD - it's not as raspy and spiky as a Fender Twin.) It's a gorgeous clean amp, though.

Also, I know it's not at ALL what you're looking for - but Hotone has a 5-watt solid-state kinda-Vox-emulator in its tiny Nano Legacy series, and it's been a more pleasing Vox for me than the AC-15 I had for a couple of years. You can connect to any cab from 4-16 ohms, and the more speakers in the cab, the bigger it sounds. It's quite loud for 5 watts, easily making do for home and even a small club (if they band isn't very loud), especially when cranked for that tone you might be seeking. I find it entertainingly juicy and responsive. But it doesn't look terribly impressive (unless you like jewel-like and cute), and it's definitely not rockabilly-gig loud.

But it's piles of cheap (under 100.00 used), and a fine way to learn your way around Voxy tone, response, and tweakery. It would also line-out to your existing amp, and thus be usable as a sort of character pedal.

These old Selmers sound nothing like a Vox from that period, especially the later "croc skin" models like the one in the pic.

Believe me, I was there. As soon as you could afford an AC30 the Selmer was gone.

– Mojave

The „Zodiac Twin 30“ sounds a lot like an AC 30.

Selmer built various models that sounded different. The „Treble ’n Bass 60“ is more like a Plexi Marshall. But they all sound what we know today as „British“. The croc-skin amps are mid 60s. That’s not late for Selmer. 70s units look as ugly like this:

I have a Vox Valvetronix whose circuitry allows you to play as though you have 11 different amp. I have previously owned a big ass Marshall Mosfet whose volume used to shake the window panes, a small Fender, and a Dean Markley -- and I absolutely swear by the Vox Valvetronix. I would never own any other amp

Hey Buddy, I've got a Valvtech Hayseed 30 (Hand made AC-30 clone)

and an actual Vox AC50 from the 60's. Reach out to me on FB, and I'm sure we could make a deal

Hey Buddy, I've got a Valvtech Hayseed 30 (Hand made AC-30 clone)... Reach out to me on FB, and I'm sure we could make a deal

That sounds like something to consider seriously.

The Carr Artemus will take you there.

My wife & I were asked to supply amps for the Baseball Project at a house concert a few weeks ago. Peter Buck chose the Carr over a '64 Bandmaster in excellent shape. Then they asked to use the Carr for an outdoor show the next night even though there was a full backline.

Artemus is just what you're looking for. It's discontinued, so it's almost vintage.

Another vote for DeLisle (Jer/Mugsy). Great service and craftsmanship at a really reasonable price. Huge bang for buck. Still miss my 15P that I had to sell when I was downsizing for the move across hemispheres.

I would recommend talking to Jer DeLisle (Mugsy) over at De Lisle Amps. I know you like older amps, but he has some Vox inspired models based upon the vintage circuits with the EF86 preamp. Jer can also modify an existing model to your preferences. His prices are very good for handbuilt pt to pt. You can get your cake and eat it too.......vintage tones with bullet proof reliability at a very reasonable price point.

– Gretschadelphia

nice! got a link? cause im thinking of grabbing a silvertone, but then having it modded and fixed up.

Any early-mid 60s Ampeg combo amp will sound great - though neither particularly Voxlike nor Fenderlike. They were designed and intended for clean playing, no distortion allowed - but get a low-wattage one and, cranked, they give up the goods in their own pleasing way.

And I second the Silvertone notion - if you play loud enough, even the Twin Twelve piggyback will grunt admirably (and it was the Jack White amp back when started out, so there's that reputation). At full roar, I'd characterize it as a nasty barking snarl. At lower volumes, it has a pleasant (though a little spongy) clean tone. The combos sound similar - but the Twin Twelve is both light and pretty portable for a 2-12 combo, and isn't stupid (read Fender-Twin) loud, so might still be clubbable when dialed pretty flat-out.

If you find old Ampegs, you probably want to stick with combos and stay away from the Portaflex 1-12 combo, though, as it has enormous headroom, and doesn't really want to get dirty. (Though when it does - really LOUD - it's not as raspy and spiky as a Fender Twin.) It's a gorgeous clean amp, though.

Also, I know it's not at ALL what you're looking for - but Hotone has a 5-watt solid-state kinda-Vox-emulator in its tiny Nano Legacy series, and it's been a more pleasing Vox for me than the AC-15 I had for a couple of years. You can connect to any cab from 4-16 ohms, and the more speakers in the cab, the bigger it sounds. It's quite loud for 5 watts, easily making do for home and even a small club (if they band isn't very loud), especially when cranked for that tone you might be seeking. I find it entertainingly juicy and responsive. But it doesn't look terribly impressive (unless you like jewel-like and cute), and it's definitely not rockabilly-gig loud.

But it's piles of cheap (under 100.00 used), and a fine way to learn your way around Voxy tone, response, and tweakery. It would also line-out to your existing amp, and thus be usable as a sort of character pedal.

– Proteus

ahhhhh! the hotone really is in the affordable range, and i am frugal!

Another option would be a new/used Vox AC15C2 2x12. The two 12" speakers really makes them sound big and it's plenty loud in a club setting, especially miked up and it gets some really nice break-up. Of course it is a Chinese made PCB amp with an MDF cab. The trem sounds pretty good on them too and it has a fullsize 17" spring reverb pan.

A killer brand that stole an awful lot of Fender sales back in the mid '60's - mid '70's, particularly in Ontario, is Traynor. Built like a tank! and great sound! They had their own speakers too, Yorkville. One of the best was the YBA-3 head. Power for days, all of it clean, so needs a pedal for distortion [and reverb]. Just add your favorite speaker(s). These heads can be had at reasonable prices and never fail to impress.

Play through one local to you then look for one in Southern Ontario or have someone do it for you, as there's a big discount available by virtue of the exchange rate.

Here's an eBay listing with terrific pics of a very clean looking YBA-3. At ~$900 US (plus shipping/ins, etc) I'd say it's a decent deal. Only 3 days left to bid and no bids so far so if it doesn't sell, you could contact the seller direct and save at least the commission fee. Rough copies are obviously cheaper, but I don't know what you can buy new today for this price at anything near the quality of these old Traynors.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rar...

Register Sign in to join the conversation