Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Phase question

I recently acquired a 1966 country gentleman. The middle position seems out. Is that normal? Does fliping the kill switch make a difference in polarity? Thanks

Congratulations on the Country Gent!

The kill switch shouldn't affect polarity (or I've never noticed it doing it on my older Gretsch's with Kill switches), It's usually on/off/on

Do you mean out of phase when you say 'out'

Super quiet and REALLY thin and trebly?

If so and you feel comfortable with the idea, loosen your strings and take out the pickups (2 screws each) and check how they're wired.

The middle position shouldn't be out of phase unless someone wired it that way on purpose. It should be a little quieter and have that nice combined pickup sound Does flipping your kill switch change anything?? They are good candidates for mods as there's essentially an unused side to the switch

Congratulations on the Country Gent!

The kill switch shouldn't affect polarity (or I've never noticed it doing it on my older Gretsch's with Kill switches), It's usually on/off/on

Do you mean out of phase when you say 'out'

Super quiet and REALLY thin and trebly?

If so and you feel comfortable with the idea, loosen your strings and take out the pickups (2 screws each) and check how they're wired.

The middle position shouldn't be out of phase unless someone wired it that way on purpose. It should be a little quieter and have that nice combined pickup sound Does flipping your kill switch change anything?? They are good candidates for mods as there's essentially an unused side to the switch

– Toxophilite

Yes , thin and quiet. That's right on. Thanks for the input I will check it out asap. Flipping the kill switch doesn't seem to do anything. But I wish it did.

If the kill switch is wired properly it should be on/off/on like I said. Useful for any future mods. If the pickups sound good by themselves then it's just one pickup wired backwards somewhere in the wiring harness. If not the pickups, then the volume pots, or the selector switch.

When I am in the middle position and the bridge volume is all the way up they are out of phase. But I back off the volume a bit it goes back to normal. It must have been something they where doing in 1966. The original owner was my Grandpa and he didn't have it modded. Funky I like it. Anyone here of this?

I don't thin that's stock It could be a factory mistake, and they were making a fair amount of 'mistakes' in those days.

i wouldn't at all be surprised Open it up and see Very little work to do and easily reversible .Doesn't damage vthe instruments value or any of that stuff.

Register Sign in to join the conversation