Other Amps

vox pathfinder 15 mods

Anyone do that LED mod? How is it better? Does anyone like the amp stock?

Would be great if it didn't have that awful distorto-button. You can get a better sound like with the volume / gain c ontrols. Also better if you put a 10 in them. Early ones had no reverb. Will have to look up the LED mod.

I’m not a solid state expert by any means, but I think the LED’s are part of that distorto-button. They form a clipping circuit which adds distortion but also robs the amp of clean volume. If you only play cleanly, it might be a good mod to try.

Yeah, the "distortion" on those sound awful. You can carefully snip the LEDs out and that channel will be louder and cleaner. You can still get some hair, and it sounds better than that splatty LED tone.

You don’t even need to remove them. The LED’s go to ground, so sniping either leg will disable them.

You could then use the distortion-button as a tone stack bypass for more organic distortion.

I gotta try that!

I clipped the LEDs out when I first got mine, way more usable volume and OD. And FWIW, I think the stock speaker sounds great, better than any "upgrades" I've tested with it.

The LED's are usually soldered very tightly against the board on these, and they are cheap, tiny ones. So you'll probably end up breaking them in the process of trying to snip one lead. Just tip the chassis and shake all the little pieces out.

I clipped the LEDs out when I first got mine, way more usable volume and OD. And FWIW, I think the stock speaker sounds great, better than any "upgrades" I've tested with it.

– michael fried

I've tried other speakers and the 8" bulldog sounds the thickest to me. to clip the leds, do i need to "drain the caps"? could I just unplug and snip?

I have had a Pathfinder for years. Bought it new for $79.99. Great SS amp! Wish they still made them. Recently I've been playing mine through a 2x12 cab, and it sounds great clean or over driven.

I also use it for my acoustic amp. Perfect for that too.

I've never considered any mods. I didn't think it needed any since they are so good stock.

It is a great sounding amp, stock or modded. It's hard to not try to make a good thing even better though. I do think it has a fuller, more "natural" sound after the mod. Sometimes I miss the little top end fizz that it had originally, but I do prefer it after surgery.

So the mod gets rid of the hiss? That would actually be my only thing I'd like to change.

Is there another SS amp that you can get for less than $100 that is as good as the Pathfinder?

Not really a "hiss" it's more of that fuzzy/fizzy distortion in the upper mids and highs. The mod turns the fuzzy distortion into more of an overdrive.

I really like the sound of my solid state Peavey that I've had since high school, but I think this little pathfinder is the best little solid state I've heard.

Register Sign in to join the conversation