Other Amps

vox pathfinder 15 mod HELP!!

So I easily removed the 2 LEDs from my Pathfinder, but now I have no guitar sound! I hear the hiss coming through the speaker if I turn it up, but no guitar. What could I have done wrong?

If you post a couple of pictures, We should be able to help you sort it out.

Think I'd need to take the board out to get underneath for a photo?

No, we should be able to tell. We'll start with the front side.

Photos coming! Nothing seems loose.... could mine have been different? It's not thr "R" model. No verb, only trem.

Nope, they are the same. Did you pull on the leads, or just snip the LEDs off flush?

All you do is cut the four leads that hold these in. You don't wanna pull them out, unless you take the board out and do it from the back side with a soldering iron.

I tried to clip them, but they pulled out in the process! AH, did I break it? Could I have messed something up on the back of the board? Should I remove board and solder in where the LEDs were?

Mine looks different.....

It's OK that yours looks different. They all work the same. Yeah, if the adjacent components are still OK, you might have pulled something loose on the back of the board.

If you can't track it down, you could mail me the chassis and I'll fix it for you, no charge.

If you pulled a loose trace off the board you might have created a short. No way to know without flipping the board over.

It's OK that yours looks different. They all work the same. Yeah, if the adjacent components are still OK, you might have pulled something loose on the back of the board.

If you can't track it down, you could mail me the chassis and I'll fix it for you, no charge.

– JBGretschGuy

Wow, thanks! I'll try flipping the board over and see what I did to it.

So I see what happened. One of the solder joints pushed in when clipping the LED and pulled off of the circuit board (guessing) causing a short. I tried to solder it down and it looks okay. but still not working. Is there a way to be sure that the board is contacting with solder?

the back of this one pulled away. i tried to solder it back to no avail.

That solder point that your pencil points to was connected, via a copper trace, to the one right below it. When you tore loose the pad, it broke that connection. If you look using a magnifying glass, I'll bet you can see the torn trace. The schematic clearly shows that the top legs and bottom legs of the two LEDs were connected to each other. To fix it, you can bridge the two blobs of solder with a tiny amount of solder, or use a very short piece of bare wire. You should only do it is you feel confident in doing it.

What were you trying to do, remove the diode clipper?

You have to keep R15 connected to R16, or actually, you can just go from C11 to R16. You just need a jumper wire.

That solder point that your pencil points to was connected, via a copper trace, to the one right below it. When you tore loose the pad, it broke that connection. If you look using a magnifying glass, I'll bet you can see the torn trace. The schematic clearly shows that the top legs and bottom legs of the two LEDs were connected to each other. To fix it, you can bridge the two blobs of solder with a tiny amount of solder, or use a very short piece of bare wire. You should only do it is you feel confident in doing it.

– JBGretschGuy

Looks like I broke the copper on top of the solder joint I'm pointing at. What if I were to jump from the bottom one to the 3rd one from the broken one? Looks like it's the next in line????

As long as it’s part of the same trace, it will work.

As long as it’s part of the same trace, it will work.

– JBGretschGuy

Can you tell from the photo if I'm right about the trace? Confidence is wavering....

I can clearly see the start and end point of that trace. Connect those two points with a wire, and you’re done.

What were you trying to do, remove the diode clipper?

– Billy Zoom

Yes. First guy to ever screw up the "easiest mod ever"! I feel like Charlie Brown.

I can clearly see the start and end point of that trace. Connect those two points with a wire, and you’re done.

– JBGretschGuy

Thank you so much for the walk-through and your patience! I wouldn't have done it without your help! I (thank god) have to say that the mod was worth the stress and foul language! IT WORKED!!!! SOUNDS GREAT!!!

Awesome! I did this mod to my Cambridge 30 twin and it does sound great! Enjoy the mod, and your accomplishment!

Register Sign in to join the conversation