Other Amps

Vox AC4TV

I've heard a lot of good things about this little amp. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one for "bedroom" use. I already have a Fender Blues Deluxe and a Blues Jr, but even the Jr is too loud for the room. The AC4 really appeals to me because of the variable power settings.

Anyway, this little bugger can be bought as a combo with a 10" speaker, or as a head and cab with a 12" speaker. I like combo amps for convenience, but I also like 12" speakers, so I'm in a quandary. There isn't any store nearby that would allow me to A/B, so I'll need to make up my mind and just order on-line.

Has anyone had a chance to play through both versions? Curious if the 12" speaker cab makes a noticeable improvement.

Thanks,

Curt.

I own the 10" combo, and think it's a really great amp. I have not played the 12" head/cab, but have read on here and elsewhere that a lot of people think the larger speaker gives a slightly more powerful sound, and in general many agree this amp (whether the head or the combo) sounds incredible through a larger cab (e.g. 2 x 12). If you intend to play through a larger cab, I would recommend getting the head. If not, and unless you really need the extra power a 12" speaker would give you, I would save a little money and just get the 10" combo.

I have the 10" , haven't played the 12" though. I can only recommend the 10"!!

I'd go back to the first sentence of your post "get one for bedroom use". The 10" will be more than adequate for bedroom use and I don't think you'll see a big difference in the larger speaker of the half stack at lower volume.

I have the AC4TV8 (combo with 8" speaker) and it's great for bedroom use. Like the AC4TV it has the built-in attenuator - I keep mine in the middle 1W position most of the time and it's still pretty loud.

Overall, you'll love the AC4TV whichever you choose. It's got really nice cleans and takes pedals very well. It does get nice breakup at a moderate volume (compared to the amps you mention). Of course, if you're looking for more gain, and don't need much headroom, the other option to explore is the Vox Lil Night Train. But if you want nice cleans with a little breakup, the AC4TV combo will definitely get you there.

I have the head plus the closed 12" cab and I'm not impressed. I haven't tried different tubes but the cleans are no more than okay and overdriven it sounds lame with very few bass. My 8" Vibro Champ XD has better lows. I kept the AC4 for the looks and maybe I should tinker a little or sell it. I never tried it with another cab and I've got some old 12AX7s and EL84s laying around. Is it worth the effort?

Interesting point about the lows. The biggest reason that I was looking at the 12" is because I play a lot of Baritone Guitar and I thought the 12" might be better for that. But if it's lacking in lows all together I might just need to pass on the whole idea...

I have the head plus the closed 12" cab and I'm not impressed. I haven't tried different tubes but the cleans are no more than okay and overdriven it sounds lame with very few bass. My 8" Vibro Champ XD has better lows. I kept the AC4 for the looks and maybe I should tinker a little or sell it. I never tried it with another cab and I've got some old 12AX7s and EL84s laying around. Is it worth the effort?

– sascha

– sascha

Don't own one (tried a few). But, I have read a LOT of comments by owners. Most have swapped out the stock tubes, and it has made a huge difference.

I had an AC4TV combo for a short time. I really tried to bond with it, but traded it off. My perception was that it sounded pretty good with single coil Teles. I didn't like the sound of it with any of my Gretsch guitars. There was a "boxy" tone that I just couldn't get past. I thought about porting the back to see if that would open it up, but decided it might be more trouble than it was worth. I have a SF Fender Vibro Champ and I have yet to find a guitar that it didn't match up well with.

I've got one of the 10" AC4TV combos. Killer little amp. Yeah, it sounds a little 'boxy' but not really surprised by that with a 10" closed back cabinet, really. I would warn you that it's going to be much louder than you expect it to be, even on the .25 watt setting. I don't know what your definition of "bedroom" volume is, but don't expect it to be a really low level if you intend on cranking it to get some good tone. It will be loud. Surprisingly loud for how small it is.

Amazing recording amp with a Telecaster. Crank it up and suddenly it's 1964 and you are Dave Davies. It's raspy and obnoxious on its own but wonderful in a mix.

I'm curious about the new blue model and the handwired AC4:D

AC4 reissue records well with everything -- check out http://www.nodepression.com...

4 tracks on lower right of page -- lots of guitars I recorded with nothing but AC4

I highly recommend this amp. It do what it do, baby.

I just got the 10" combo used from GC. Look for one used you can get them used for half the price of a new one. It is well worth that. I'm tempted to buy the 12" cabinet to go with it, but I think I'd prefer the new handwired AC4. I dont guess anyone has gotten their hands on a handwired yet??

Register Sign in to join the conversation