Other Amps

Vox AC4C1-Opinions?

Just wondering if anyone has one of these, or has demoed one? It has Top Boost features, volume, gain, treble and bass controls. I tried the cream colored AC4TV with the 10 inch speaker, but it was too boxy and not bright enough for my tastes. Vox AC4C1

Just wondering if anyone has one of these, or has demoed one? It has Top Boost features, volume, gain, treble and bass controls. I tried the cream colored AC4TV with the 10 inch speaker, but it was too boxy and not bright enough for my tastes. Vox AC4C1

– Rockabillybob

– Rockabillybob

personnaly i think than this kind of amps (4 or 5 watts) are too small to have a real tube amp sound. A few years ago i've buy a fender champion 600 and i wasn't impressed by the sound

Has anyone tried one of these new Vox amps? I'm looking for hands on experience opinions. Thanks.

i've tried the blue tolex version..same innards..it's kinda pitched toward being a bit modern sounding...gain & volume knobs....a friend has a vintage ac-4 and they don't sound remotely similar....

having said that, i'd think a tube change to even some jj's and maybe even a speaker change to an alnico 10 would help...but ultimately it is a modern single el84 amp and its clean headroom is very limited

the original ac-4 you couldnt get dirty even dimed!!

guess it depends what you want it to do

heres a decent vid from vox

Link...

cheers

Are you asking about the blue ones?

I've had mine for close to a year now. Hardly use it. It no doubt delivers perfect Vox tone. If you don't want to crank up a big Vox, just want to sit around and noodle on your guitar and get a Vox sound, then this little blue guy is perfect for that. The tone is pure Vox Top Boost. Like they bottled the Top Boost tone and put it all in this little blue amp.

However, if you are thinking of using this amp to practice, small jam with friends...forget it. The amp is way too small in sound, too boxey (lacks any bass presence), and is very dry in its sound (it plays a heck of a lot better with a reverb pedal or chorus pedal added to it).

It is way overpriced for what you can do with it. I can see this being a great recording amp. It can get a fantastic Vox cranked tone at volumes that will not shatter windows. Other than recording and some noodling, the amp does not offer much...especially at $300 a pop. Much better to save another $250 and get the very professional and iconic AC15.

Like most Vox amps, single coils sound better in it than humbuckers. My Rics sound better in the blue guy than my Falcon. With a Ric or a Fender the blue amp sounds very nice. Just small.

I will give full praise to the look of the amp. It is stunning. It is also far better than the recent cream AC4 Vox released.

neatone and Thunderball, thanks for your insights. That's just the sort of honest feedback I'm looking for. I have a fondness for small tube amps, but a silverface Fender Vibro Champ has made me very particular. :) I have one of the Gretsch G5222 amps too. I bought it used. It came with a Jensen Mod speaker. I replaced the spongey grill cloth with some nice oxblood cloth Paul (frequentflyer909) sent me. Some inexpensive tubes improved it a lot. As T-ball mentioned, it too sounds best with single coils, in particular a Squier CV Thinline Tele. So,again, thanks for the feedback on the Vox fellas.

Register Sign in to join the conversation