Other Amps

Vintage Valco Supreme or Vintage47?

Quick opinion, which would you choose? The old Valco Supreme for under $600 or a Vintage47 National 10 Supreme circuit for over $700?

I think the deciding factor has to do with the user. I have almost no electronic tinkering talent or ability, so I would go with the new repro from vintage47. But if I were interested in playing with how it works, working on it, restoring it etc., I'd get the vintage one. I wouldn't always choose a repro, but vintage47 seems a superlatively convincing operation.

+1. The V47's are made exactly the same way the vintage ones are. The only differences are age & possible collectability (which I NEVER worry about with gear. I buy gear to USE it, not to collect it or make a profit off it.)

David goes into production with field coil speaker loaded amps in April. That may be what tips the scale.

I'd also go with one of David's amps, especially on the reliability issue.

So I just looked up "field coil speakers" and mostly got explanations of the mechanism, but little about its effects. What are the attributes and benefits of a return to these, beyond vintage correctness?

I have been using Vintage 47 Bronson for a few years now. I love it. I'd buy another without a second thought.

Strum, did you come across this guy's speaker?

killmanjaro

8 pound magnets... 8-o 8-o

I can't claim to know anything about field coil speakers other than all the old Supreme circuit McKinneys and Supros had them and it was one of the things that gave those amps their tone. I received an email from David Barnes and he seems very pleased with the results from the proto-type speakers he has tested. He basically said the Weber's made his amps very close to the original Valco sound but that the field coil speakers gave the amp that exact sound. Strummerson, while Barnes does feel the FC speaker nails the vintage Valco tone, I think his goal is kinda like you implied, to make his amps more period correct. The speaker is after all an option.

killmanjaro

– Hermitt

killmanjaro

– Hermitt

Yep. Looks really cool. Still don't quite know what it DOES. Is it an issue of headroom, frequencies (i.e. warmth/brightness)? I guess, never having heard a vintage valco in person, I'm wondering what its particular magic is. I've been looking at those vintage47s for a few months. Not really in the market for an amp. But I'm fascinated by the look, the vibe, the craftsmanship. Just beautiful in design. Love the rigorous retro commitment. And the sound clips sound wonderful. Warm and smooth, even when gritty. But I'm not clear on what this kind of speaker adds in terms of tone...

Register Sign in to join the conversation