Other Amps

Vintage Grill Cloth Installed On My Deluxe

Oooo, That vintage look! Cool!

Cheers, took 2 turns to get it spot on !

Wouldn't oxblood grille cloth be proper vintage on blonde Tolex? That's what my old early '60s Dual Showman had on it.

Every time I see the title of this thread I see Vince Gill cloth.
Very nice job, by the way,

Was that originally a BlackFace? I think either of those vintage grills could have been stock on a Blonde Fender. The After picture looks more 1960-'61. The solid Oxblood Before looks more like 1962.

Please don't flame me if I'm wrong. I'm not a collector...I'm just working from memory.

Wouldn't oxblood grille cloth be proper vintage on blonde Tolex? That's what my old early '60s Dual Showman had on it.

– wabash slim

Seltzer Fan, looking for that '61 Bassman look for stage

It's a Re-Issue Deluxe Reverb

– wabash slim

Rough blond Tolex with wheat grillcloth is period-correct for "piggy-back" Fender amps built approximately fall 1962 through spring 1963.Before that they were blond-/oxblood like Slim's Dual Showman.

Please can someone tell me where to get proper ox blood grill cloth. Patterns ive found are different than what's on my speaker cab. Past owner installed yellow w gold strips and pattern vertical on my 6g6a Bassman head. Looks awful.

Please can someone tell me where to get proper ox blood grill cloth. Patterns ive found are different than what's on my speaker cab. Past owner installed yellow w gold strips and pattern vertical on my 6g6a Bassman head. Looks awful.

– SLICKFASTER

I took a quick look at what Mojotone.com has.Seems like a pretty complete(and period-correct) selection.I agree with you about the consequences of installing grillcloth ninety degrees off,or wrong side out,or if you don't line up the little ribs.It just takes a little patience getting it right.

I have a tougher time on my old vintage Magnatone amps. Not just the grill cloth but the tolex.

I usually just find something close and go with it.

I’m about to attempt to install new grill cloth on a 69 Princeton Reverb, but I’ve never done it before. I’ve got the proper cloth but have been holding off because I didn’t want to screw it up but I figure it’s a small enough job so I should be able to do it..... I’d really appreciate any tips— thanks in advance

Norm, Get it all lined up squarely - don't worry if it's a little bit sagging. A little (very) gentle heat from a hair dryer or heat lamp at a distance will tighten it right up.

See, I always thought the stretching was done prior to the Stapeling or tacking. Thanks

See, I always thought the stretching was done prior to the Stapeling or tacking. Thanks

– 949Norm

You get it as tight as you can without distorting the geometry of the little squares. THEN, do the heat thing.

Speaking of vintage grill cloth, anyone know which colour ox blood is correct for a 1955 tweed twin? There are 2 , one with the gold and one without. I’m guessing it’s the one without because that’s what is on my 1959 Bassman cabinet. Sorry for the thread hijack..

Speaking of vintage grill cloth, anyone know which colour ox blood is correct for a 1955 tweed twin? There are 2 , one with the gold and one without. I’m guessing it’s the one without because that’s what is on my 1959 Bassman cabinet. Sorry for the thread hijack..

– GaryE

This Guy generally knows his stuff

Link

Great! I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Register Sign in to join the conversation