Other Amps

Vintage 47 Suitcase amp

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these?

Our old friend Strummerson loves his. Octal tubes, low wattage, great sound. No negatives that I've ever heard about.

I have one similar to the pictured one I’ve been thinking of selling.

I bought it here in the gdp and it’s only been in the house since.

Lmk if you’ve any interest

I have one similar to the pictured one I’ve been thinking of selling.

I bought it here in the gdp and it’s only been in the house since.

Lmk if you’ve any interest

– Gasmoney

Pics?

Super Cool Looking!

Here is my vintage one

Super Cool Looking!

Here is my vintage one

– 57Chet

That’s the original right? Not the modern version

I've got one (the suitcase amp). Built it years ago during one of their amp classes. Mine is a little older than the current ones. The differences being - the newer ones have a bright switch and maybe a boost switch. The speaker is also different. The stock speaker used to be a hemp cone from Tone Tubby. Now it looks like they are using Webber speakers. BTW - I love Webber and use them in other amps - but I'd expect the speaker will change the sound pretty drastically.

I'd describe my suitcase as follows - WARM. early easy breakup. Like a hot 40's amp. It has a tone knob - which goes from warm to warmer I usually play a tele through it, so it's not a problem but Im not sure I'd pair it with a warm guitar. I can see why they added a bright/presence switch to newer ones. I remember in the class he walked us through modding the amp to revoice it/add bright switch/add boost...but we built them as stock.

In my opnion, this amp sounds WAY bigger than other 8" amps. Fuller. Not boxy like you'd expect. When I first heard it, I couldn't believe a small amp with an 8" speaker could fill a room with depth like this. I don't know if there's magic in that original Tone Tubby Hemp speaker, or if it's in the amp design.... again the newer ones have moved away from that speaker.

Mr_Christopher,

I wouldn't say "the original" but that is a vintage Oahu lap steel/amp combo from the era that I am proud to have in my collection...

The amp sings as pretty she looks.

Really!

Thanks guys, I really like this amp it seems perfect for in the living room. Ive developed a thing for small amps lately.

A new one is way out of my price range and the only used one on Reverb is more expensive than a new one, so it might be a long spell before I find a used one at a price I can live with

But I sure like it

You could probably find someone to build one for less. It’s not the same circuit as the original Oahu anyway, more like a Supro Spectator.

Dave Barnes made some really cool reproductions, but I think the aesthetic missed the mark a little on this one. The cabinet dimensions and large radius on the speaker side made the original look less like a shoebox.

You're not wrong Powdog. That Spectator that you made sounded really similar to the Vintage 47 suitcase that I played through.

Maybe there's a case (sorry!) for making a real reproduction of the Oahu suitcase amp

Register Sign in to join the conversation