Other Amps

Victoria Champ

Found one around here for $700... wondering if a 10 could be stuffed in it. Ahh, probably would not make much of a difference.

I would think that you, as much as anybody, would know if swapping an 8" with a 10" speaker makes a difference.

Well, was thinking it's such a small cab might cut down on the difference. Can that no-tone control-circuit be modded to hack some of hi-end off?

Sure. Permanently, switchable or replace the volume pot with one of these and add a tone control.

I guess you could add a tone control in the 2nd input? Oh wait it's concentric scene Cool if it could be honked up to 10 watts..but then ya might as well just get a tweed Princeton

Or have some random amp guy build one for you.

Mark Baier uses orange drops in his amps, which sound bright to my old ears. You can really warm up an amp by using Jupiter red caps. Emulate the wax caps from the 50's.

I once had a 5112 = 5 watts 1x12" speaker. It was not bright at all with my filter 6120. I actually found it too dark, and I don't even like too much top end in my sound

I don't buy into that whole "caps sound different" philosophy.

Swap out the speaker, try different tubes. If a cap sounds bright to you, change the value...not the label.

I feel the same way about pastrami. It all tastes the same to me. If I feel like a change, different bread, different mustard, different pickle. But the pastrami? I can't tell the difference so there must not be any.

Threw together a 5F1 Champ this afternoon.

That looks pretty....do you build and sell? Any website? I'd like to know "more"....

Build and sell. What are you looking for?

Google "Cave Valley Amps"

Swap out the speaker, try different tubes. If a cap sounds bright to you, change the value...not the label.

– guitarcapo

Maybe not the filter caps, so much... But some of those little buggers are called "tone caps" for a reason. Hanging off your guitar's tone pot handling virtually no voltage....yeah...you're right...but there are some spots along the amp's circuit where you want to avoid Radio Shack. ;)

– guitarcapo

They really do sound different, even in a guitar circuit. It is the construction that makes difference, not the brand name.

There is a listing difference between Orange Drops vs Mallory 150s vs Ceramic vs wax/paper etc in the same exact value.

Paper in oil caps are the most linear, have the least "flavor". The fav of Hi-Fi guys. Ceramic are the least linear. The polyester and polypropylene fall in between.

Mark Baier says his orange drops are custom made for him so don't sound as bright as regular ODs. I can't really say as the only times I have played Victoria amps they have had such different speakers to what I am used to that I couldn't tell. I have a lot of respect for Mark but haven't played a Victoria I liked.

The first or second Marshall-style amp I built was based on a 2204 circuit. I built it with all Mallory 150s as coupling caps and it sounded great. Then when Sozo caps came along I was extremely sceptical, but all the Marshall style builders raved about them. So I thought it was worth a try and not so hard to replace the Mallorys with Sozos. And sure enough, the amp sounded clearer and a touch more muscular.

So as an experiment I built my next one with orange drops. They lasted a day in there! Out they came to be replaced with Sozos. Way too harsh.

Now i am sure that some guys wouldn't hear the difference - I struggle to hear the difference with caps in guitars. But an amp full of Sozos sounds different from an amp full of orange drops. I have done the experiment. To me there is a noticeable difference.

I used to use the blue Sozos in my Fender builds. The yellow ones just took too long to burn in. I hate waiting!

Tried the Jupiters when they first came out...too high failure rate. But something must have changed at Jupiter, they're great now. I like the red ones in my 50's era Valco builds and the yellow ones in my Fenders. I seek out old stashes of ceramic caps for my 60's Valco builds. I love the grittiness.

Still use 150's in a lot of stuff. Personal preference over orange drops. Tried the paper in oil ones, Russian and Jensen, just didn't do anything for me.

Yeah I would use Mallory 150s over ODs too. And i know it shouldn't matter but ODs are ugly. And FWIW I like the sound of the Sozo yellows almost immediately. Still better than most others I've tried. The blues are great in Fender builds but I still like the yellows.

Register Sign in to join the conversation