Other Amps

Vibro Champ trem scene

Well Atomic has a super clean mid 70s Vibro Champ ... spotless w/ original footswitch and speaker. I know I have talked a lot of trash on 8's but with full bass/no treble for our lo-volume un amped rehearsals, maybe I could live with an 8.

Trem has a prob never seen by me - sounds fine but when turned off at the footswitch, when you turn intensity control the volume dips down to about what it would be on the lowest amplitude part of when the trem is really on. Really both knobs should have no effect.

Also dig this killer clean early 60s Ampeg reverbrocket -- nice panel (usually they got worn/faded silkscreen)

The other day in my studio, we were auditioning amps for a tremolo part and of many amps; Victoria Regal, 64 Deluxe Reverb, Marshall 18 Watt, Dirty Girl Reverb (Supro Type), my '69 Vibro Champ won out. I would post the part, but the record is not done yet, but here's a song I recorded the electric and lap steel parts with the Vibrochamp...

https://soundcloud.com/dani...

Eaten up w/ that Musicmaster (!) That simple VC trem circuit does have something.

If you don’t like 8” speakers, a Vibro Champ chassis fits perfectly in a MusicMaster Bass cabinet and sounds great with a 12” speaker.

That Reverberocket looks really clean! Where was that for sale (unless you’re planning on buying it)?

When the lockdown kicked off I set up three amps for recording, (1) BF VibroChamp; (2) BF Princeton Reverb; and (3) 1965 Valco (Gretsch) Playboy (6973 power tubes; 12'' speaker).

10 songs or so later, I've used the Gretsch-Valco a few times and I put the Princeton Reverb back in the attic. I can pretty much do anything with that VibroChamp.

The Fender 8" speakers pretty much always sucked, but there are good alternatives. One of my Champs has a 4 ohm speaker from a Peavey Keyboard amp, and it sounds amazing.

So some dudes are telling that is normal for VC .. you don't get actually full operating volume with trem off - - weird.

So some dudes are telling that is normal for VC .. you don't get actually full operating volume with trem off - - weird.

– DCBirdMan

Replace the intensity pot with a switched one, that truly disconnects the trem. You get about 6db.

If you can unscrew the speaker baffle, why not replace it with a 10" speaker baffle?

You can buy them, although this seems a bit expensive.

https://reverb.com/item/341...

Or get a cabinet builder to make you one.

I made my own 10" baffle for my Champ many years ago and recently installed a Jensen C10. Absolutely delighted with that speaker.

Replace the intensity pot with a switched one, that truly disconnects the trem. You get about 6db.

– JBGretschGuy

Thanks for this info. I guess I never noticed but to have an amp that operates @ reduced volume with trem switched off doesn't cut it. So if this fixes that I am all for it.

If you don’t like 8” speakers, a Vibro Champ chassis fits perfectly in a MusicMaster Bass cabinet and sounds great with a 12” speaker.

That Reverberocket looks really clean! Where was that for sale (unless you’re planning on buying it)?

– Jeff H

I have done a bunch with Champs thru 12s... it's better for sure but there just isn't much lo-end @ all from 6 watts. Killer clean Reverbrocket at Atomic Music, Beltsville MD

Intensity pot with switch only works with optical Tremolo. Vibro Champs have Bias Tremolo. Get your amp serviced!

Register Sign in to join the conversation