Other Amps

Tweed Super speaker reommendations 12’s

Can you guys help me with a speaker recommendation. I have a tweed hydbrid; super power section with a bassman pre section 25 watt OT and I am going to run it at 2x12. I was thinking either the Weber 12A125 or 12A125A. I like a smoother drive but brighter snap in my cleans and punchy response from my speakers, but I generally dial in a warmer tone from my amp circuit and pickups. I am thinking P12Q type speaker to keep it lighter. Either of these or other options welcome. Thanks

dang I thought the Super was 2-10... but yours is a mongrel/mutt- sometimes those are best ones! Plus too many dudes talker about 'Supers' when they really mean Super Reverbs, a later, and different amp

WGS have an affordable C12Q equivalent out - if they're anywhere near as good as their Veteran 10's, they should be great speakers.

Thanks, we are calling it the super mutt, pun intended. I saw the warehouse and I like the 20oz magnet, kind of somewhere between a Q and N. I am still going to try and get an alnico.

The 12A125S is on the top of my list right now.

Love the Jimmy Bryant sound, but the bassman pre should make it all that plus some healthy bottom end. No idea what speaker would handle that best, though.

The 12A125S is on the top of my list right now.

– Tennessean85

Ignore if you have experience with Webers - in my own experience, a lot of them are great speakers, but they can be quite a bit darker than other manufacturer's speakers. I've recorded with a vintage tweed Vibrolux somebody stuck a Weber P12Q equivalent in (it belonged to the studio), and I had the treble on the amp cranked the whole time, with single coil guitars.

The other thing is to look for the real deal - I know prices are up on vintage speakers, but if you spend the time, value priced examples are still out there. Jensen made a LOT of P12's back in the day. You could try Jay Rosen - he's got a ton of old speakers for sale.

http://www.jayrosen.com/cat...

Fender Special Design AlNiCos. Designed by Weber and built by Eminence! These are the 12" speakers found in my EC Twinolux, and are the BEST speakers I've ever heard in a tweed or any other amp. Why Fender does not sell them off the shelf is totally beyond me. They'd sell thousands. Classic in every sense of the word. I believe that it would be well worth your while to check with your Fender rep to see if you could get a pair through their repair department. I know that even Tavo would be impressed with these babies! Kings of TONE! Truly the ultimate secret weapon...

General, Fender doesn't sell them, but Weber does. They call it the "12A150A"

Tavo....$300 for one speaker?!?

That is extremely valuable information to know WB. I'll definitely file this speaker number against future requirements. Like I said, my all time fav! I'm wondering though, if this is simply a Weber speaker, why is the Fender version made by Eminence? Seems a bit confusing/misleading to me...

WB thats retail list and the price is about the same as all other AMERICAN build 50w Alnico Speakers, and the TT Red has the sweet hemp cone.

The Weber 12A150 is $208!

The tone tubby speakers are for those looking for the original sound and response out of the box. Weber alnicos arent much more affordable than the Tone Tubby or Scumback (another incredible US hand made Alnico speaker).

Oh, hey, I didn't say the Weber was cheap! I've ever spent that kind of money on speakers - I think the most expensive speakers I have are the Weber P10Q equivalents I have. Most of those heavy magnet speakers are too loud for the multiple 10" amps I have anyway.

General, Fender probably has them built by Eminence because that keeps the price down somewhat for them.

Thanks guys, Early this morning I already bought the 12A125S speakers. This is the second brightest speaker of the 12A125 types so should match well. I really wanted to try a light magnet alnico. The 12A150A is a really dark speaker, I have one I'm selling on ebay right now, an older 50 watt model. I think it works well in the 5e8 that fender does because its so big and clean for a fender tweed, and bright? The curved seam cone is generally a warmer sounding speaker. I was just curious if scumback makes all British voiced speakers, or do they make american voiced speakers too?

Oh, hey, I didn't say the Weber was cheap! I've ever spent that kind of money on speakers - I think the most expensive speakers I have are the Weber P10Q equivalents I have. Most of those heavy magnet speakers are too loud for the multiple 10" amps I have anyway.

General, Fender probably has them built by Eminence because that keeps the price down somewhat for them.

– WB

well I used to poop on Eminence but they have really turned around and made some awesome speakers. I like their Ragin Cajun and Copperhead as well as the Alnico Red fang..

I do wonder about guitarists though at times, that spend soooo much money on particular guitars and amps only to ALWAYS cheap out on 2 things. Speakers and Cables. good lord its the last thing coming out of the signal chain.

Yeah, I always found Eminence to be rather run of the mill too. But these units in the Twinolux have now put an end to that belief. Even if they are designed by Weber, Eminence did a damn good job of putting them together. Sure to become a collectors choice for future generations of guitarists. Kind of like the way Fender version of JBLs from the 60s are now sought after classics. And I'd certainly take a closer look at those other Eminence models you've mentioned if I ever find myself in need again.

BTW Tavo, I'm with you on the speaker/cable thing. Too many stint on these critical items in their signal chain. Like putting cheap tires on a high performance 68 Dodge Charger...

well I used to poop on Eminence but they have really turned around and made some awesome speakers. I like their Ragin Cajun and Copperhead as well as the Alnico Red fang..

I do wonder about guitarists though at times, that spend soooo much money on particular guitars and amps only to ALWAYS cheap out on 2 things. Speakers and Cables. good lord its the last thing coming out of the signal chain.

– Dr. Titan McKrakus™ (two thumbs up!)

I don't know, I've never needed expensive speakers. Back when I used 12's, it was pretty easy to find the original Celestions here fairly cheap that everyone is now making replicas and reissues of (70's G12M's and G12H's), and with the 10" speakers, a great speaker doesn't have to cost much.

The only 10" Eminence I really like a lot is their alnico they used to put in the first generation tweed bassman reissues, those are awful nice when broken in. I have two copperheads, but I find them a little bland and dull. Same for the (almost identical) 10" ceramic legends.

Cables...I'll never buy one of those hundred dollar boutique cables, I have Dimarzio's and Whirlwinds, they work, and they last.

What brand of cables do the rest of you use, this is a topic that has been on my mind lately. Thanks

I've been using Yorkvilles for the past several years. The one's with the rubberized casing over the ends. Sturdy and silent with good s/n ratio. I'm not sure that these are any better or worse than many premium (non low-end) cables that are on the market but they certainly work for me. Also, I'm not sure of the inherent value of some of the really expensive cables that are out there. Tavo might be able to enlighten you on these. My concern has always been the reliability of my guitar cables, and the solid transmission of the signal that I believe the guitar is meant to output. On these levels, I'm well satisfied with the Yorkvilles...

I don't know, I've never needed expensive speakers. Back when I used 12's, it was pretty easy to find the original Celestions here fairly cheap that everyone is now making replicas and reissues of (70's G12M's and G12H's), and with the 10" speakers, a great speaker doesn't have to cost much.

The only 10" Eminence I really like a lot is their alnico they used to put in the first generation tweed bassman reissues, those are awful nice when broken in. I have two copperheads, but I find them a little bland and dull. Same for the (almost identical) 10" ceramic legends.

Cables...I'll never buy one of those hundred dollar boutique cables, I have Dimarzio's and Whirlwinds, they work, and they last.

– WB

I was talking about Speaker cabling (the copperhead 10" paired with the ragin cajun is what I was referring to, on their own the copperhead is kind of dry toast as you say but still better than a stock fender speaker)

Yes Spike, they are fitted stock in blues juniors (top one). Whenever you see "special design" they mean "the cheapest one we could get away with"

I was talking about Speaker cabling (the copperhead 10" paired with the ragin cajun is what I was referring to, on their own the copperhead is kind of dry toast as you say but still better than a stock fender speaker)

– Dr. Titan McKrakus™ (two thumbs up!)

So Tavo, what would you recommend as a good speaker cable & why.

Just so I'm sure is this the Fender Eminence speaker you guys are talking about?

Spike, no, General Lee was talking about the Eminence made Alnico speaker that was designed by Ted Weber and Fender used to use in their fancy "custom shop" 57 Tweed Twin reissue. That amp turned into the clapton sig amp in the current Fender range, and still uses those speakers. They're not in anything else that I know of.

(On a side note - the 10" version of that speaker you linked to, a fairly cheap and generic Eminence made/Fender labeled 10", is a "best kept secret" speaker to me, it's actually surpisingly great if you put it in a good amp. They're stock in those Hotrod/Deville/whatever cheapo amps, and available as a replacement part from Fender too. They have a lighter magnet and smaller voice coil and dustcap than anything Eminence sells under their own name, and that makes them kind of similar to an old Jensen C10Q - and they're a whole lot nicer than the current Italian C10Q's.)

Register Sign in to join the conversation