Other Amps

Tweed amp for living room use

Hi,

I'm wanting to buy a Fender tweed amp, but I can't decide which one. I play mostly rockabilly, country and Luther Perkins kinda things with a Gretsch 5420. I do some gigging but 90% of the time it is living room use.

Can you guys recommend a tweed amp for my needs?

Best regards David

Well you don't need much power for home use. There are all sort of new style tweeds but of the original ones or repros of them, a single 10, @ 12 watts ought to do the job(?)

I have a 1960 Princeton in immaculate condition I might be persuaded to part with, if you'll pay too much for it.

I've seen Tim's Princeton. It's like a time machine piece!

My 57 Custom Pro or 59 Bassman, Both in the bedroom, and set right? Beautiful full sounding and looking! And if you need volume? You have it!

It's been said many times that 5w turned up loud to break up is still loud at home. Attenuator? The small old Supros, Gretsch amps and Premier amps are great fender tweed variants. Or blimey, Gibson of course

Depends how big your living room is. I'm glad my Vox AC4 has a 1 watt and 1/4 watt setting, because the 4 watt setting is already too loud for the living room.

That said, if you want clean, the vast majority of 5 watt tube amps are going to be based on the Tweed Champ, so there's very little variation in that range of amps (notable exceptions being the Fender Champion 600 and Gretsch 5222, which are much more like the 60s Champ and Vibro Champ, despite their cosmetics).

How about a Fender Super Champ X2 Lacquered Tweed with Ragin Cajun speaker FSR?

I'll echo other's statements. Even a 5 watt amp is enough to enrage your neighbors.... In my opinion, home playing is about practice - find a solution that is truely quiet and don't expect the best tone possible. A good headphone based solution is best - (I really like playing through the strymon iridium with headphones and my pedal board, but that is blackface based - although you can boost the mids which takes it into tweed territor).....

a 5 watt amp is still LOUD for the average neighbor. Even when I choke my amp with an attenuator, still- when I turn it up to where I'm really diggin it - my neighbor can hear it..

The answer is cooler neighbors or headphone solutions, at least for me. Or to live in the middle of nowshere with a house sitting in the middle of several ancres.... That would be nice!!!!

G5222 5 Watt Tube Amp

G5222 5 Watt Tube Amp

– r0de0

The first thing to do on those is to replace the grille cloth. That rubberized printing really chokes the sound. The Fender Champ 600 isn't too much better with the thick flocked grille. Update the speaker to a better 6", or try and stuff an 8" into it. NOS tubes made a huge difference in mine.

The first thing to do on those is to replace the grille cloth. That rubberized printing really chokes the sound. The Fender Champ 600 isn't too much better with the thick flocked grille. Update the speaker to a better 6", or try and stuff an 8" into it. NOS tubes made a huge difference in mine.

– wabash slim

Yes, the mudflap. There are many mods for this amp à la Champion 600. I just did the tone stack mod however, as a bedroom practice amp, I'll leave the rest of the Mojo intact for I have other amps to honk on.

I have a 1960 Princeton in immaculate condition I might be persuaded to part with, if you'll pay too much for it.

– Proteus

Lol! Here, just take my wallet. And, can I just have my next few paychecks deposited into your account?

It remains to be seen what aspect of "Tweed" Dave is looking for. If it's just the aesthetic (and there's nothing wrong with that) the answer may be very different from the answer for "Tweed" tone. And if it's Tweed tone we're looking for, what version? A Tweed Champ doesn't sound like a Tweed Bassman, nor does either sound like a Tweed Deluxe (without going further into sub-versions thereof). And let's not neglect the word "Fender" in his post. Does it need to be "Fender Tweed", or maybe "Fender" Tweed, or indeed Fender "Tweed"?

Pedantic yes, but the details change the discussion. I'm just wanting to learn more about what Mr. Dave wants. The Gretsch 5222 is Tweed covered for example, but really offers more of a 60s Fender sound. If it's "Tweed" tone he wants at living room levels, then that's a different discussion, and the answer may not say "Fender" or even be covered in Tweed.

If he's willing to get creative, I'd be recommending something like this, which is really the best answer IMO.

It remains to be seen what aspect of "Tweed" Dave is looking for. If it's just the aesthetic (and there's nothing wrong with that) the answer may be very different from the answer for "Tweed" tone. And if it's Tweed tone we're looking for, what version? A Tweed Champ doesn't sound like a Tweed Bassman, nor does either sound like a Tweed Deluxe (without going further into sub-versions thereof). And let's not neglect the word "Fender" in his post. Does it need to be "Fender Tweed", or maybe "Fender" Tweed, or indeed Fender "Tweed"?

Pedantic yes, but the details change the discussion. I'm just wanting to learn more about what Mr. Dave wants. The Gretsch 5222 is Tweed covered for example, but really offers more of a 60s Fender sound. If it's "Tweed" tone he wants at living room levels, then that's a different discussion, and the answer may not say "Fender" or even be covered in Tweed.

If he's willing to get creative, I'd be recommending something like this, which is really the best answer IMO.

– Otter

I live in the country side of Sweden with no close neighbors so little loud is not a problem but I don't want it to be loud as h*LL when practicing.

I am considering the 5e3 deluxe but that is maybe to loud for home use?

Then there is modern tweeds such as the Fender Blues Deluxe 50W but it has a master volume. How good is the build quality and sound of these modern tweeds?

Then there is the Fender Blues Jr. 18W with master volume. Is that a good amp for home use with occasional gigging?

I live in the country side of Sweden with no close neighbors so little loud is not a problem but I don't want it to be loud as h*LL when practicing.

I am considering the 5e3 deluxe but that is maybe to loud for home use?

Then there is modern tweeds such as the Fender Blues Deluxe 50W but it has a master volume. How good is the build quality and sound of these modern tweeds?

Then there is the Fender Blues Jr. 18W with master volume. Is that a good amp for home use with occasional gigging?

– Dave93

Hi Dave, the Blues Deluxe and Junior are NOT Tweed amps! It's not the covering that makes the amp but the circuit and the used parts.

I think a Tweed Deluxe is the perfect amp for your needs. It has gorgeous cleans and is loud enough for small gigs. You might need a pedal if you play with overdrive at home but that works excellently. Those ultra-small amps don't have any bass response. A 5e3 with its 12" and pine cab has.

I use a Fender CS 57 Tweed Deluxe with 4 mini pedals (OD, Delay, Reverb, Tremolo) that all fit on the tiniest IKEA breakfast board I could find. I'm super happy.

Pretty much any tweed circuit rated between 4W and 15W - roughly speaking - will be fine in conjunction with an L-Pad attenuator.

I love what you are doing at Tone Twins TV and watch regularly.

can I just have my next few paychecks deposited into your account?

I’d appreciate it!

The Harmony 8418 Reissue will easily give you break-up at home volumes that won't disturb anyone... even in your own house. Actually, you HAVE to crank it for it to sound good (then for cleans, turn the GUITAR down). It's not a tweed, but it's octal preamp has the tweed-ish tone (a lot of mids, early breakup). I love mine.

Oh- it's also handwired, and comes with quality tubes.

The Harmony 8418 Reissue will easily give you break-up at home volumes that won't disturb anyone... even in your own house. Actually, you HAVE to crank it for it to sound good (then for cleans, turn the GUITAR down). It's not a tweed, but it's octal preamp has the tweed-ish tone (a lot of mids, early breakup). I love mine.

Oh- it's also handwired, and comes with quality tubes.

– ruger9

The Harmony is not available here in Europe. Import taxes, customs and the needed step-down transformer wouldn't make it a great deal, unfortunately

The Harmony is not available here in Europe. Import taxes, customs and the needed step-down transformer wouldn't make it a great deal, unfortunately

– sascha

Ugh, sorry about that...

Sometimes the pond can be a real PITA.

Sometimes the pond can be a real PITA.

It has downsides and upsides.

Register Sign in to join the conversation