Other Amps

Tube / valve rolling - 12ax7 ! Thoughts

I still think your time is much better spent playing guitar than playing with tubes, and I build my own amps from scratch and have a lot of tubes. I spend NO time swapping them in and out and I have good ears. I will replace them if they go microphonic or get weak.

– Toxophilite

And I still think: A chacun son gout.

The cheap Sovtek 12AX7WA's are as good as anything...better than most. EH has been EXTREMELY unreliable. JJ and EH each have their own garbage box in my shop. The more expensive Sovteks are usually worse than their cheap ones. Beyond that, it's down to specific tube types and batches rather than brand.

Good tubes should last for many many years, and the less you fiddle with things, the better.

I once experimented with different screen resistor values on a single 6V6 cathode-biased amp. That made a tremendous difference. I'll dig out my notes and start a different post so I don't derail the preamp tube discussion (for which, by the way, I like octals).

And I still think: A chacun son gout.

– mad dog

Oh , I agree there are many different opinions and tastes. However the poster was asking for advice and opinion. Mine, is that you will very likely get more out of playing and practicing your instrument than you will in swapping tubes in and out of your amp. You'll save big money too in some instances. I'm not saying he shouldn't do it if he wants to.

It is my understanding that 'tube rolling' is a comparatively recent pastime in the 80-90+ years history of tube amplifiers

I've always found this site to be informative and often quite funny

http://tone-lizard.com/

JJ's are the absolute worst tubes ever made anywhere by anybody.

– Billy Zoom

Maybe the most consistently bad as a manufacturer, but you'd be hard pressed to be worse than these

or these

I still think your time is much better spent playing guitar than playing with tubes, and I build my own amps from scratch and have a lot of tubes. I spend NO time swapping them in and out and I have good ears. I will replace them if they go microphonic or get weak.

– Toxophilite

Some , in this house, might say I spend way to much time playing guitars. There are a lot of thoughts on the issue here ! I've ordered a few here and there -a mix of old and new (2 of each) . I don't plan on spending much time trying tweeking tone . I'll let the solo guy do that , they seem to have a lot of opinion on tone ! ! Me being the rhythm and singing guy, just want to get through the song in one piece. I've heard the 2 x 12AT7 in the Fender have to work hard , so I've gone with NOS jan GE there

You can't tell anything about a tube by rolling it.

Nobody makes papers big enough unless you go to a head shop

Register Sign in to join the conversation