Other Amps

Traded up to a Fender Dual Professional Amp

This is one of the least known Fender Amps - and there is not a lot of internet info on - so I thought I would share my experience with it.

My main amp for gigging and studio the last few years has been the 63 Vibroverb Reissue, which has a unique sounding Trem and Verb compared to other Fenders - plus gives a nice growl. It was a tough call - but I went ahead and sold it to free up funds - and picked up a 90s Dual Professional in excellent condition.

After the success of the reissue guitars and amps - Zinky wanted to create some new models that would renew their reputation on the high end w pros. They made the Tone Master, Vibroking, Rumble Bass and the Dual Professional. They were Point to Point and made one at a time in Lake Oswego, Oregon - according to the manual.

100 watts 2 x 12 Celestion Vintage 30's 2 switchable Volume controls w fat switch 3 knob Tremolo Direct coupled Oscillator Trem

I have had it for about a month now and it is has lived up to what I had hoped for - and more. I am seeing this as my Holy Grail amp.

Yes it's a heavy 76 pounds - but it is super quiet and there is a 3D sound to it at all levels. Trem and verb are superb. A bonus is that it breaks up earlier than I had been led to believe - works well with Supertrons, Gibson Humbuckers and Fender single coils so far. Recommended.

76 lbs?! My PR I just got is 2x12" and roughly the same size and is nearly 60 lbs. For the 100 watts compared to my 40 watts, this DP must have one hell of a big OT!

I have only heard good things about this DP and the VibroKing. My CVR is a weird, convoluted, bastard from the mind of Zinky. I love it.

OSHA wouldn't even let two "roadies" regularly lift this amp. I wouldn't....probably couldn't...take this beast up a flight of stairs, and I am 6'3" and 220lbs.

I remember all the 60's horror stories of dragging around Twin Reverbs that had swapped for F series JBLs...

LOL!

It's a good thing my oldest son turned 15 this year... Instant roadie!

Part of the weight is in the speakers - the vintage thirties are 20 lbs of it! Also the build is just extremely solid and sturdy - but that is part of what will make it last.

I've "weighed" the options to make it friendlier for travel... Road Case, Casters, Dolly. I can't add another 20-30 lbs on it for the road case, yikes. So I'm getting a quality padded cover and casters. If anybody has a recommendation for casters for something that size, it would be appreciated.

Btw - one of the things that was a plus to me is when learned that Scotty Moore bought one when they came out and used it for many years.

Still easier to move than a Hammond organ and a Leslie.

I had one of those for a while, but it seemed that I could never turn it up enough to take full advantage of the sound. I also found that it sounded better on its own than it did with the band. The weight was also a major drag.

It was a fabulous sounding amp, though. The three-knob reverb before the preamp stage makes it sound a lot like an amp with a separate reverb tank. The tremolo is spectacular as well. I believe it's oscillator-based and not optical, which would make it similar to the brown Vibroverb.

Anyway, GREAT GREAT GREAT for studio work - zero noise and wonderfully lush, but I prefer to gig with a Blues Jr. or a Deluxe Reverb.

After owning 60s Dual Showmans, Reissue Bassmans etc I picked up a 99s Dual Professional about a year ago as it was a bucket list amp for me alongside the Vibro King. Absolutely fabulous amp and everything I expected it to be. Yes it's very loud and heavy for small gigs but with the vibrato, it makes the ground shake. My favourite combination and probably best tone I've ever had is playing me Tele with a T-Armond and a T-90 through a ts9 through this amp. Mine has castors and a cover btw, but still thinking of splitting speakers to cab so I don't wreck my back.

Register Sign in to join the conversation