Other Amps

Thoughts on Fender Tweed Deluxe clones

Gumboking, those Yamahas are great little amps. I have a THR10 myself and am very highly impressed with it. You'll be happy with it around the house, and it'll help you figure out the sound you're eventually looking for in a bigger amp.

If I was going to go to a 15 wattish 6V6 amp I'd probably get an Egnator Tweaker. If I was going to build an amp from scratch I'd get a 5E3 tweed Deluxe kit but add a mission Amps "Volume/ Tone" mod to it to make it sound more like a brownface. Tweed Deluxe amps sound too raw and muddy on the cleans for me.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I went the modeling amp route and just ordered a Yamaha THR5 off ebay. Apparently a good, and cheap, alternative to what I was initially looking for. $179 delivered to my door is pretty hard to beat.

– GumboKing

I also have a THR5 and it permanently sits on my desk .I will plug in my guitar and get some good sounds out of it when Im sitting around stealing guitar licks from Youtube. The built in Effects are pretty good sounding too.

If I was going to go to a 15 wattish 6V6 amp I'd probably get an Egnator Tweaker. If I was going to build an amp from scratch I'd get a 5E3 tweed Deluxe kit but add a mission Amps "Volume/ Tone" mod to it to make it sound more like a brownface. Tweed Deluxe amps sound too raw and muddy on the cleans for me.

– guitarcapo

Agreed 100%. I would build a 5E3 for anyone who wants one for $300, plus the cost of the kit. Other people might do it cheaper, but I am OCD about builds, and tend to spend a lot of extra time tweaking them and comparing to my '56 Deluxe.

Register Sign in to join the conversation