Other Amps

these are cool — someone should get this

Lots of knobs. Lots of watts.

Cool Volume Bass Treble... that's all you need

Wow, cheap! I believe these are basically a Twin Reverb amp in a different configuration, no?

It's a PA head. How often do you play four guitars at once?

4-6L6 power section, so it's full of tube goodness, but it has far more power than I'll ever need. It might need to have the inputs reworked for hi Z guitar rather than low Z mikes. Also, note that the tone controls are boost/cut as opposed to the ones most folks are used to. Still, for 100 watts of tube power, $400 is a good deal.

The power section is the same, but all four channels share a common cathode r/c network. The EQ and tone stack are pretty flat for guitar and require some solder work. Lots of potential but lots of work.

I know....I have one.

It’s little known, but Fender only reworked this slightly to make it a consumer product after the military dropped the top secret project they’d contracted Fender for.

All they wanted was a sound that could kill someone from a distance.

But during the demo, when the brass realized the horror of the reality of the thing, they bailed out. One general was heard to mutter to a colleague, “and I thought Argus was bad.”

It’s little known, but Fender only reworked this slightly to make it a consumer product after the military dropped the top secret project they’d contracted Fender for.

All they wanted was a sound that could kill someone from a distance.

But during the demo, when the brass realized the horror of the reality of the thing, they bailed out. One general was heard to mutter to a colleague, “and I thought Argus was bad.”

– Proteus

Kate Bush would be pleased I’m sure Proteus!

For decades, it has been my one ambition in life to please Kate Bush.

– Proteus

Get in line! Seeing her in concert was a musical high point in my existence.

I bet. That recent couple of nights sold out in seconds, before I even knew it was happening. (Would I have flown to London to see Kate? Open question.)

Not that I would ever have allowed myself to spend that much on a ticket.

– Proteus

Likewise.

I'm not sure what you'd do with it. If you had a couple of Showman D130 cabinets and some high impedance mics, it would probably make a good PA...if we were still allowed to bring our own PA's. Maybe for rehearsing?

You could send it to Andy Fuchs and let him mod it to an ODS.

I think it would be a nuke and pave on the preamp , then build a twin reverb. Or some sort of cascading gain stage monster .

You can cascade one stage into the next by daisy chain, then use the MV.

I just met a guy who gigs one. He mods each channel differently, so he's got 4 circuits in one head.

I just met a guy who gigs one. He mods each channel differently, so he's got 4 circuits in one head.

– charlie chitlins

I did that with mine. Separated the cathodes of V1 and V2 and biased each differently. Changed the input resistors and tone stack values, a little tricky since the R/C’s are all soldered to the pots instead of the board. After this, you still have to contend with the PI and power tube bias circuit which are all wrong.

I thought someone might try something like that... if you gig with 4 guitars have a channel tweaked for your Gent, your Jet, your Strat and your SG

Then you cascade all four together and have the densest saturation ever imagined from a Fender amp. At BRUTAL volume.

I used to run a small Marshall into one

photo 4a14.jpg

– Proteus

Ok, you gotta love this

Well, I was kidding, you know. But it’s safe to say I’m a fan.

I have one. It’s the only tube amp I have left besides the ones Ethan made and the old Gibson. Mine was modded by a previous owner for 4 different sounds, well, 3, and channel 4 was left alone. Judging by the way the mods look, I’d say it wasn’t professionally done (though I couldn’t have done it any better, I’m sure), but it works. It’s fun to play with and I occasionally gig with it when I feel like developing some upper body strength. I do like how it sounds. I brought it to the NorCal Roundup a couple years ago, and Mel and I were going to plug 8 guitars into it to see how it sounded, but that was the year volume was a serious problem there so we never got around to it. Probably just as well.

It never occurred to me to jumper the channels like that, though I used to do that with my Bassman 50 head and loved the results. Now I’ve got another fun thing to try with it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation