Other Amps

The Standel amp used in Owen Bradley’s 50s studio?

Anyone have any insight to exactly what this legendary amp was?

Based on what I read Grady used it on everything in the 50s.

Cliff Gallup used the same amp on the Blue Caps recordings.

What is a close modern day version of this amp ?

Thanks Fred

Cliff Gallup MAY have used it. Photos from the session suggest that it might have been his tweed Pro.

They're super amps, and Standel still makes them, although they were obligated to alter the design specs slightly for safety reasons. They are shockingly expensive. http://www.standelamps.com/

There was briefly a less expensive but quite faithful recreation of the design made under the name Parkel; I believe two GDP members had them at one point. Richard Hudson is one. Here's a thread about 'em: http://gretschpages.com/for...

Owen Duffy makes the Invicta Cascade, which he claims is a repro from a schematic he got from Paul Yandell. It's simply not true. I have one. The workmanship is shoddy; I spent $1600 on one and he wouldn't fix it when it kept overheating like crazy. The filter caps are uncovered but invisible (danger, danger!), the input jacks were wired wrong, and the whole thing was amateurishly done right down to the application of the Tolex. After I had a real amp tech fix the worst of it, though, it became a killer amp, and I still gig with it occasionally. It sounds better (IMO) with a Weber California than it does with a real, original cone D130F.

Cool thanks for this.

The standel amps. new ones. are wayyy out of my price range.

Im hoping to find a reasonable replica style version someday.

Seems clear that the amp per your original post is/was the Standel 25L15.

It was the main amp of the folks you mentioned along with Chet Atkins.

I have a "new one" (now over a decade old). My comments on it still stand, per the links in seadevil's post above.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? In my opinion, Yes.

Seems clear that the amp per your original post is/was the Standel 25L15.

It was the main amp of the folks you mentioned along with Chet Atkins.

I have a "new one" (now over a decade old). My comments on it still stand, per the links in seadevil's post above.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? In my opinion, Yes.

– senojnad

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? In my opinion, Yes.>

I agree, wholeheartedly. I am also lucky enough to have a new one.

That said, if you think a new one is expensive, don't even look at an original!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation