Other Amps

The Nocturne Moonshine ‘39 amp based on the prewar Gibson EH-185, t…

Beautiful sound on that video! I remember you saying you were taking some jazzer lessons, how's that going Tavo? I fumble thru a few Charlie Christian licks here and there but would love to become fluent in this style. Having the right amp has gotta help of course and the Moonshine nails that kinda velvet tone

Beautiful sound on that video! I remember you saying you were taking some jazzer lessons, how's that going Tavo? I fumble thru a few Charlie Christian licks here and there but would love to become fluent in this style. Having the right amp has gotta help of course and the Moonshine nails that kinda velvet tone

– Vince_Ray

I've been going over to Tommy to learn about western swing and jump blues but its really hard for an old cuss to learn new things. Its gonna take a while. In that video above Tommy was playing a cleaner approach on that big gibson, here's Nick Urso playing his Mooshine with the new Setzer hotrod at rehearsal with his band. It takes on a different sound with filters

those two guys were boppin!…tommys solo after a great one by kid was smokin…(had a real junior watson vibe)...no doubt the sound from all that great gear really got 'em going…that 175 with dearmond killed…the old octals break up so nicely..its so beautiful to hear those doublestops..with that real vintage kind of harmonic overtone…not smooth and even like a 12ax7…great tone

and kid with his harmony thru the pro..always good

great clip

and some great freddie king..very authentic tone…bravo

kudos all around gents…good stuff

cheers

I know I posted the one song vid I got at VLV but... Some one just sent me the link to the entire show that Nico Duportal did at Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekender with the Moonshine '39 vintage style tweed amp based on the Gibson prewar EH185 amp, and Tommy on the Blondeshell '63 amp based on the vintage 6G6-B amp that setzer has made quite famous. He's going through the same speaker as the moonshine, a tonetubby alnico red 50w hemp cone speaker.

Mr Nick Urso made a great slide guitar recording with the Moonshine '39 and a Gretsch Corvette that he has entitled "Tribute to the Gibson EH-150 and EH-185 amps" ..that Gretsch sound and prewar gibson tweed amp sound does work together for slide.

nick's slide tone is actually remarkably clean…less elmore james rawness and more jeremy spencer/george thorogood (when they were at the top of their game)

cheers

nick's slide tone is actually remarkably clean…less elmore james rawness and more jeremy spencer/george thorogood (when they were at the top of their game)

cheers

– neatone

There is a lot of clean on tap when needed, works nice with the old FHC pickup and monel retro strings. This Silvertone/Kay isnt very loud acoustically but the pickup and this amp through the shinebox 6X9 head cab almost acts as an acoustic amp. The speaker of course can handle only about half of the power from the Class A 20 watts even though the speaker is rated at 25watts. Which is why the head is to be plugged into its extension cab :)

https://instagram.com/p/6BJ...

yeah just watched the instagram..thats the tone!!..and yes the acoustic archtop tone is not loud like a flatop...but with "that" amp!!..that's when you start gettin those vintage recording tones…hearin the guitar, the amp, the room etc etc

and thick picks are key..check out clayton exotic series..thick picks made of bone and horn….exotic wood....just pick the type with the shape you like

saunders king used felts!!

have a similar late 50's regal spruce archtop with a dearmond blackfoil pup neck mounted..strung with dr roundcore pure nickels (worked well!!!)...very similar vibe

want to try the martin retro monels tho for a bit more mids oomph

good stuff

cheers

nick was going for elmore james dust my broom slide thing

ej did use gibson amps!…the later two tones... and magnatones

and here's pics of his known guitars

elmore james!!

cheers

ps- here's good discussion on that kay acoustic!..with dearmond rc and soundhole pup

http://bigroadblues.com/for...

yeah just watched the instagram..thats the tone!!..and yes the acoustic archtop tone is not loud like a flatop...but with "that" amp!!..that's when you start gettin those vintage recording tones…hearin the guitar, the amp, the room etc etc

and thick picks are key..check out clayton exotic series..thick picks made of bone and horn….exotic wood....just pick the type with the shape you like

saunders king used felts!!

have a similar late 50's regal spruce archtop with a dearmond blackfoil pup neck mounted..strung with dr roundcore pure nickels (worked well!!!)...very similar vibe

want to try the martin retro monels tho for a bit more mids oomph

good stuff

cheers

– neatone

Picks that thick sound like hand cramp city. I've just gotten used to 1.

Man oh man, Barry of Grez Guitars made a prototype hollowbody w T-armonds that Paul Pigat played a few weeks ago, and a new video just surfaced with 720HD vid and great sound. Paul Is runnin into the Moonshine '39 and its got some great clean bite goin on, next to Tommy Harkenrider running his grez semi hollow w p90s into my Shrunken Brain preamp to a deluxe clone and old ampro cab.

click HD720, these guys can freakin play!

I TOLD YOU!!!!!!

That Grez Nightingale will be mine. I must find a way. 15", 2" wide, SPRUCE TOP (that's a biggie), 25" scale (never been a fan of 24-3/4", and still prefer Fender 25-1/2"), FULL hollow (no trestle braces or center blocks).... for me, It's like a Grestch perfected: more comfortable, spruce top give a nice acoustic voice, longer scale....

I would love to hear what the Nightingale sounds like with dogears, but those TAs sound pretty darned good.

ruger9, aww - shucks........... Tavo - love that amp!

Some Nico on a Tokai Lp and nocturne Moonshine '39 amp, Tommy playing TK Smiths telecaster into the nocturne atomic brain to a quilter 101 plugged into nocturne 1x12 cab. One more reason to own a tokai soon.

hah!!! was gonna say the tokai goldtop is jr watsons old trick...then i saw it is juniors tokai!! ...tommy h sounds nice on tele too

good stuff

here they are with jr on tokai lp...gettin his freddy king on....(was he using moonshine 39 too?)

cheers

hah!!! was gonna say the tokai goldtop is jr watsons old trick...then i saw it is juniors tokai!! ...tommy h sounds nice on tele too

good stuff

here they are with jr on tokai lp...gettin his freddy king on....(was he using moonshine 39 too?)

cheers

– neatone

Its Tommy's Tokai.. he lets visiting players rip on it. He usually plays his Grez guitar or the vintage ES295 he just got. Jr Watson has a dunham stratotone a whole lot in his hands, Dan makes great slap guits.

hey t...yeah i got so used to watchin tommy with the grez, the tele was a curve..sounded good though

yeah jr likes the oddballs..harmony stratotone and the dunham...tokai lp

tommy h's new 295 sounds good too...good stuff

cheers

hey t...yeah i got so used to watchin tommy with the grez, the tele was a curve..sounded good though

yeah jr likes the oddballs..harmony stratotone and the dunham...tokai lp

tommy h's new 295 sounds good too...good stuff

cheers

– neatone

do you prefer the telecaster? The Dunham?

hey t, i like the double cut tele style dunham...it's poor alberts sig model i could never come to terms with...aesthetically one ugly guitar!!... to me!!!...love albert lee, but...haha

i like this stratotone stylee dunham..tk(-esque) pup!! haha

cheers

very cool...lotsa great tones right there..coupla heavies!

in the right company t!

cheers

Register Sign in to join the conversation