Other Amps

The Need For Tweed – 1950s Fender Tweed Shootout Video

Hi everybody

A little while back we shot some video footage with some tweed Fenders for Guitar Magazine.

We finally got the edits done and it's up on You Tube.

I’m an amp guy, for sure. Interestingly, the 5A3 with octal preamp tubes is my favorite. I also really dig Tavo’s Moonshine ‘39 octal pre amp. Maybe I need to explore that avenue.

Thanks for that, great Sunday morning listening. Personally I'll have to go with the 1959 5F6-A Bassman Wow !

Very cool video! My first amp build was a 5C3 Deluxe. No matter how far I stray, I always come back to a Fender Tweed. I’m a cathode bias octal preamp junkie.

Great video, thanks for that. For my ears, the Super with the G10 vintage speakers sounded the best. Thanks for the GAS!

Octals rule - so long as they're not theRussian ones.

And no, that's not a political statement...

I’m saw that this morning. I loved it. I too liked the 5A3 the best. I liked the tremolux a lot too.

I'm a tweed junkie. I love how they all have their own unique character, yet still belong to the same "family". My Vibrolux is my favourite; the trem is like feeling a heart beating inside your chest. Cleaner and quieter than a Deluxe, with a tighter breakup. My Tweed Super is an animal; you really need to understand the interaction between the volume and tone controls, and the 2x10 gives it a tight spread. Yet, every day I come back to my Deluxe. Mine breaks up later than a stock one, and the Weber smooths out the flabby bottom end really well.

The Vibrolux is a great amp. The one in our video has an old Princeton Reverb output transformer - so not original to 1956, but apparently what Fender used in the Vibrolux for the last ones made in 1960.

Subsequent to the video being shot, it was decided that the output was pushing the Celestion Blue a little too hard, so it has since been swapped for a Fane alnico A60 and sounds better for it.

And I agree about the trem and the fact that they all have their own character.

Loved the intro . Host has great voice , info is good and the story. Really demonstrates how an amplifier itself is an instrument and the difference a speaker makes.

Cool.Everything sounded great. But anything up against a Telecaster through a 5E3....just isnt fair it seems. I always wonder if Leo Fender tweaked the 5E3 around his Telecaster.....

Interesting point AMC.

I think it's pretty widely accepted that Leo liked bright sounds - and also that his hearing has begun to deteriorate.

The trend through the tweed era is for ever brighter sounding amps with more power. Fender was probably upping the power to increase headroom, but guitarists being guitarists just took it as an opportunity to get overdriven sounds at louder volumes.

Maybe it's also worth considering how Fender guitars evolved sonically throughout the 50s and how that relates to the amps.

Great video, well laid out, great recording, great equipment and quality filming. Subtitles for the Host would have helped us understand the heavy brogue, maybe even a Californian interpreter:) I also had to close my eyes w that bizarre lap dance wiggle thing w the les paul. Borderline guitarnographic that bit.

Thanks Tavo

I'll try to annunciate more clearly next time

Very interesting and informative, thank you for shooting and sharing.

It's also great to see Oil City pickups featured. I have one in the bridge position on a parts-Caster, wound hot to be on par with the neck Supertron (taken from a 68 Streamliner). Great custom made pickup, by real people who love their craft and ask questions to understand what you're after.

No special effects or compression...just a lot of guitar wiggling ;) The Super is amazing. Interesting how different the Bassman sounds. It's weird doing a comparison like that because how does one set the tone controls? Set them to the same number, or do it by ear so the EQ sounds about the same? I suppose the Bassman could sound more like the others with the treble and/or presence rolled off. But that tiny bit at the beginning where there is a little lick...I thought, "Bassman!" and it was. Such a distinctive sound. I'm a lucky guy amp-wise and love tweeds. A 56 Deluxe, 54 Pro (5D5), 59 Princeton and '58 Bassman. I'm saving for a TV front Deluxe...maybe another year or so.

Glad to hear from another Oil City fan Joss. I reviewed a set a year or so back and they have been in my Tele ever since. The bridge has a tappable coil to add extra windings for fat or twangy Tele tones. I tend to keep it twangy.

Can't recommend a TV front Deluxe highly enough Charlie. The one you're hearing in the video has a minor mod that routes the mic input through the instrument signal path - thereby eliminating the 75K grid resistors.

So, the front end is wired like a V-front Super for a bit more treble and grind.

Glad to hear from another Oil City fan Joss. I reviewed a set a year or so back and they have been in my Tele ever since. The bridge has a tappable coil to add extra windings for fat or twangy Tele tones. I tend to keep it twangy.

Can't recommend a TV front Deluxe highly enough Charlie. The one you're hearing in the video has a minor mod that routes the mic input through the instrument signal path - thereby eliminating the 75K grid resistors.

So, the front end is wired like a V-front Super for a bit more treble and grind.

Thanks Tavo

I'll try to annunciate more clearly next time

– Shuggie

I'm kiddding I'm kidding!!!!!!!!! I would pay cash money to have you do a video like that for my mystery brain, its really a benchmark production compared to what the kids are putting out. Plus that british accent makes all of us yanks believe every word! nothing but love dude!

– Shuggie

Shuggie, little outfits like these guys deserve exposure and praise for the great work they do. Being able to chat with the guy who makes the product for you is incomparable.

I knew that Tavo - really made me laugh

Totally agree Joss - and the price of those Oil City pickups is fantastic.

I'm not saying they're the best Tele pickups ever, but they're the best Tele pickups I have ever heard in my own guitar.

Thanks, Shuggie.

I am definitely not an amp guy, so when the guys start chatting about what speakers to use with which tubes, transformers, etc...I'm the one looking like a penguin having quantum physics explained to him.

The penguin probably understands more.

While I've never had a tweed amp, I've played through dozens, and love them. Basically used my ear to see if it sounds good to me or not, and that's done me well.

I have a Top Hat Club Royal that gets my sound pretty well, but I don't travel with anything so heavy, so I'm using(as Tavo calls it, cheap Chinese junk) Fender Excelsior with one of Tavo's Atomic Brains and it serves me well while gigging .

Register Sign in to join the conversation