Pickups

d’Armond 2000 puzzle (Solved)

I recently got a set of gold d'Armond 2000 pickups and I just noticed that the neck and bridge are the same thickness; the covers are about 3/8". These came from a Gretsch Historic series guitar. The puzzle is that I measured the 2000s on my 5128 and the neck cover is about 3/8" while the bridge is about 1/2".

I'm puzzled by this and the question that comes to mind is whether or not the 2000s used on the Historic series have the same output for the neck and bridge. I don't have an ohm meter so can't measure. Anyone have any insight into this?

Hmm . . . I never measured them. They seemed pretty well balanced.

Now I'm curious.

On my 3140 & 3141 Historics the bridge pickup housing was higher than the neck housing. I don't have these pickups anymore so I can't measure their physical size or impedance for you, but I remember being surprised to find the difference in height.

On my 3140 & 3141 Historics the bridge pickup housing was higher than the neck housing. I don't have these pickups anymore so I can't measure their physical size or impedance for you, but I remember being surprised to find the difference in height.

– audept

How about on your 3156? That is the model from where his p'ups came. . . my 3156 to be exact.

How about on your 3156? That is the model from where his p'ups came. . . my 3156 to be exact.

– AndyJ

Can't check my 3156 for a few days, I'm away from home but from memory the gold ones are the same height as each other. I think the body top profile on the center-block thinline 3140/3141 are different from the full-hollowbody 3156.

A digital multimeter is pretty cheap. You can get one for less than $10 and measure for yourself

My 3110, full hollow, has the thicker pup in the bridge and thin one at the neck. The 3140, center block, has a thin one at both bridge and neck.

Thanks for the input guys; as I suspected, some guitars' design won't accommodate a higher bridge pickup and the 3156 probably falls into that category. I'll look into picking up a voltage meter and measure these for output. There is no big issue here but it would be good to know; one more tidbit of Gretsch info for reference. I'll follow up when I can or maybe someone else will beat me to it.

I think you're correct that the body design is the deciding factor. The 3156 has a pretty pronounced arch from the bridge area to the neck. With adding the Dynas to mine, and their differing heights, the bridge p'up is almost too tall (remember Historics have post mounted bridges), whereas I had to add two spacers under the neck p'up.

Audept and I have the exact opposite set up on our hollow v. center-block pups.

His hollow 3156: same height for both pups

My hollow 3110: taller pup at bridge (disclaimer, though. When I got it the taller pup was at the neck and way too close to the strings. Switched them when Curt did the mods)

His 3140 center-block: taller pup at bridge

My 3140 center-block: both pups are thinner

Since I got both of mine used, I can't 100% vouch for what was on them out of the box.

My 3140 has equal depth pups with one equal thickness spacer per. Net effect is that the bridge pup is spaced closer to the strings than neck pup, as it should be. Never pulled them to get a resistance measurement but they sound pretty balanced to me. Historics were all over the map design wise, so it would not surprise me if they had to do several pickup depths to accommodate the various body shapes.

When I changed the pickups in my 3140 & 3141 to TVJ T-Armonds & PowerTrons respectively, my luthier had to use TVJ pickup risers to get the pickup to string heights correct.

I think you're correct that the body design is the deciding factor. The 3156 has a pretty pronounced arch from the bridge area to the neck. With adding the Dynas to mine, and their differing heights, the bridge p'up is almost too tall (remember Historics have post mounted bridges), whereas I had to add two spacers under the neck p'up.

– AndyJ

Here's photo to illustrate. . .

OK, I had the two D'Armond 2000 pickups measured for output. The question was whether these pickups that are the same thickness and used on an Historic Series 3156 for neck and bridge have the same output. The answer is yes they do; 8.74 ohms for the neck and 8.68 for the bridge; close enough to say they are the same.

Now I have to get the bridge pickup packed up and shipped off to a chap in Great Britain.

Register Sign in to join the conversation