Other Amps

That Amp that got away…

66 Fender Bassman. I know it's not the creme de la creme of Bassmans, but I'd sure like to have it now. I gave it away in 1972. Also, I had a Lafayette combo from around 1964/65, probably a Univox product. I don't know if it was a good amp but it would be fun to have now.

Had a Alamo amp when I was younger that I wish I still had. My dad bought it from the music teacher I was taking lessons from at the time. Dad wouldn't let me crank it much above 3......he wanted me playing clean clear country music.....not that distorted commie rock music. But when he wasn't around, I would crank the lil' Alamo up and it could nail that CCR Keep On Chooglin sound.

A fully functioning Rickenbacker Eko-Sound for $2500 about 10-15 years ago. For anyone not familiar, around 1960, Ray Butts sold the his Echo-Sonic design to Rickenbacker and they very briefly produced faithful copies. It's pretty much the holy grail of rockabilly amps. At the time, I coolly reasoned that it wasn't powerful enough for my gigging needs, and it seemed frivolous to spend $2500 on something that wasn't sufficiently utilitarian. Stupid. When you get a chance like that, you grab it and don't look back.

A Kendrick Bassman clone for $450. Didn’t have the scratch at the time....[sigh]

No regrets.

But now that people are mentioning Reverbrockets, I briefly owned a Superrocket. Sold it because it was just too big, too heavy and way too loud. Cool amp, impressive even but only practical if you're in a Dick Dale and Motorhead tribute band.

A Vadis 250R. I walked into my shop with guitar and plugged in... thought it sounded amazing but thought they were asking too much for an old Australian amp. Changed my mind and went back a week later it was gone :(

http://coolcarsnguitars.com...

A blackface Deluxe Reverb (no idea what year, in the '70s we didn't care about such things). Alvino Rey put it and a blackface Vibrolux from his inventory on consignment at Henson's Music in Camarillo (Alvino's son Rob worked there), and I had my heart set on the Vibrolux because, ya know, it had TWO speakers instead of just one. But someone beat me to it. So I "settled" for the Deluxe for $275. It was pristine and sounded heavenly, but of course at the time, the Twin Reverb was what the real guitar players used, and when I found a '68 a couple years later, I sold the Deluxe to a college friend (at that time, I was in college) for $250. Really wish I could have chosen not to sell that one.

a tweed Gibson that i got to play through in the early 1970s. it was about the size of an average 1950s suitcase, and sounded exactly like the solo on "Sunshine Of Your Love." i have never successfully identified the actual model.

No regrets.

But now that people are mentioning Reverbrockets, I briefly owned a Superrocket. Sold it because it was just too big, too heavy and way too loud. Cool amp, impressive even but only practical if you're in a Dick Dale and Motorhead tribute band.

– Gerry Ratrod

The amp that DIDN'T get away: Already have a 50w Ampeg 2 x 12 Reverberrocket. Discovered the 100w SuperRockets on Reverb ranging from $600 to $1200. Its like an Ampeg Twin with tremolo and (yay) factory casters. Same cab size as RR with slightly longer chrome control panel to accomodate the trem circuit.

Got a mint one for $700.00 with the original two cable three switch foot pedal. Definitely the Big Brother of the re-issue RR. A beautiful sleeper amp in blue diamond tolex with a nice metal grill around the 4 power tubes. Side note: Gretch newer Electromatic Black Top Filtertrons were "made" for tube Ampegs both for chime and crunch, especially in-between the two. Very pick hand responsive, and a lot richer than a standard Twin. Tube distortion: no pedals needed, really!

I wish I still had my old Rickenbacker Transonic (with "Rick-O-Sonic TransTortion") so that I could sell it at current prices! It was nothing but trouble and I let it go for $250 back in the mid-80s, but they're fetching thousands these days.

A silverface Fender Bassman with 2x12 cabinet. I played my guitars (Gibson ES-125, later ES-175) and Rhodes through it, and it sounded wonderful with all three. I sold all my electric instruments in the mid-70's when I went full-immersion into Indian music, and when I came back to electric stuff a few years later I had developed different sonic preferences and used different amps for guitar and keyboards.

Nowadays there are more suitable and versatile options for both guitars and keyboards, but at the time, that was the shizznit!

Register Sign in to join the conversation