Other Amps

That Amp that got away…

What was the one Amp you either passed on, or sold, that you wish you could turn back the clock?

Mine, believe it or not, was the "Fender Jazz King" from the mid-2000's.

I have seen a couple come up for sale in the last decade...they must be very well liked...nobody parts with that Amp.

https://reverb.com/news/5-g...

1965 Deluxe Reverb. Sold it to a friend in 1972 for $125. He still has it. Won't sell it back.

This one, a ‘54. Coulda had it for $300. What a maroon.

But I did end up with a ‘56 GA-20 that is just awsome. The amps made during the years Gibson used redwood for the cabinets have a sound all their own.

Early 60's Ampeg R15R "Superb Reverb". Bought it at local independent shop back in the mid 90's. Was in for service and never claimed by the owner. Traded a Peavey Studio 60 and 200.00 cash. Was in beautiful condition w/ original blue diamond vinyl cover w/ original tubes. About 15-20 watts w/ 15" speaker, reverb/trem, fabulous tone. Sold it because of the oddball tubes that were hard to get and expensive at that time (even though the originals were working fine....duh). Should have had a three prong power chord installed and kept it.

This one, a ‘54. Coulda had it for $300. What a maroon.

But I did end up with a ‘56 GA-20 that is just awsome. The amps made during the years Gibson used redwood for the cabinets have a sound all their own.

– Powdog

gotta love those old Gibson amps.

1965 Deluxe Reverb. Sold it to a friend in 1972 for $125. He still has it. Won't sell it back.

– Don Birchett

Don, offer him $150.

I guess my first Reverberocket, which - if memory serves - was really not as nice as the pristine example I have now. It just bothers me that I have no idea what happened to it. I had it, rarely using it, kinda forgot about it. Moved...and never saw it again.

And maybe the old 1-12 Silvertone with a junkyard Ford ignition power switch (had to use a key to turn the amp on) and Landmark burlap-bag grillecloth. Again, more because I have no idea when where or how it went away than that it was a great amp.

Other than that, no regrets. I still have - or have replaced - every amp I've loved.

OK, exCEPT the Seymour Duncan Convertible. Incredible amp, and I'd like to have a good one again. But they invited enthusiastic use and abuse, and they cook and shake themselves to bits. It would have to be NOS to be a good one - and even then I'd suspect aging brittle circuit boards and lifting traces. Such a great amp design, so crippled by materials and construction.

Before joining the Army in WW2, my older brother played Steel Guitar and had a dandy Silvertone tube (what else) amp.

The Guitar and amp stayed home and I used it with my RCA 45 player and later my 59 or 60 Harmony Meteor.

When I joined the Navy in '62 my brothers daughter thought she'd like to learn to play that lap steel.

Magnatone 213... sold it in the 90s. The studio had it all these years and when the closed... I got one day notice and by that time it was gone. Still looking for one @ reasonable price.

The Vox AC15HW1X. I sold it because it was 50 lbs and I have issues with arthritis (spine) & tendinitis (arms). Then I missed it (a lot) and bought another one. Damn, it's still friggin' heavy. The sound is just right though. I love it.

Selmer zodiac twin 50. Had two blue speakers from an old AC30. Sold it to Boz Boorer, he passed it on. I still search for it online

Don, offer him $150.

– beatbyrd

Didn't work!

I had a fender quad that I should have never sold. It sounded better than anything else I have had. ( although I couldn't move it today) Back then it was nothing to move it around.

Jim

Didn't work!

– Don Birchett

Well George, if it didn't work then it's a good thing that he wouldn't sell it.

Say "Good night", Gracie.

A brown Princeton for $200, I can still hear myself saying, I’ve gotta have reverb.

I had a fender quad that I should have never sold. It sounded better than anything else I have had. ( although I couldn't move it today) Back then it was nothing to move it around.

Jim

– James Hopkins

A store around here has one of the cleanst Quad Reverbs I have seen. A Noble Beast

A brown Princeton for $200, I can still hear myself saying, I’ve gotta have reverb.

Hah! I did that with a Brownie too, sorta. Only it was a bigger amp, and 600.00. But still. Stupid stupid stupid. It was the most engaging and fascinating Fender tone I'd ever heard.

My first amp was an Airline/Valco from Wards. I’d love to have it back.

I had a '65 Ampeg Reverberocket II, my first "real" amp (as opposed to the solid state Gorilla I had previously). I had to sell it to afford my Showman in 1995. I've got a Gemini I now, which is a good amp, but that Reverberocket was something special.

Another former Reverberocket owner with seller's remorse a half-century later....Miss the Esquire,too.

In the early 80s I had a Vox Beatle Super Reverb. ( or was it a Super Beatle? I forget!) 240 solid state watts with two Vox 4x12 speaker cabs. If I stacked them it was as tall as me!!! And I’m 6’5”. LOL! Had the multi-color light-up foot switch too! It was loud!!! Had all the options.. the top boost, built-in tuner, the percussive tremolo ( like “Crimson & Clover”), a couple of different channels. All worked perfectly! My roadies threatened to quit if I didn’t get a real amp!!! Lol! Can’t remember what happened to it. Replaced it with a JC 120 and a Galien Kruger head and Alesis multi-verb. Lol. I was such a geek!

A Burman single 12" combo... Superb.
What an idiot I was to sell it for a measly £300 ..

Plenty! A Vox AC30 bought new from Rushworths in Liverpool in 1963. A Watkins Dominator from about 1960 bought in 1966. And later a 100W Musicman head -- with solid state preamp and tube power amp it was unbelievably loud, but sooo good.

richie: Got a Burman 100W head sitting in the basement doing nothing at the moment -- independent clean and gain channels. And being just a head, at least it's possible to lift it!

Genz Benz Black Pearl 30. Boutique tone at non-boutique price. Shame Fender shut down the guitar amps line of GB when they bought the company (so as not to compete with the Fender line, even tho Fender doesn't make a hot-rodded AC30 thing)

The BP30 was the "poor man's Matchless/Badcat"

Register Sign in to join the conversation