Other Amps

Test Your Amp Ears: Blind Taste Test

Day off today. Too much time on my hands, so, I recorded three different amps using a 6120 DSW. The only effect is a Boss DD-3 on each sound sample. All recorded with a Tascam hand held recorder. Can you tell which is which? The amps are:

Vox Pathfinder 15 (with Jensen speaker)

Fender Blues Jr III (stock)

Fender Silver Face Vibro Champ (stock)

Amp A

Amp B

Amp C

Liked A, till I came to B. B is the best sounding (to my ears), so I'd say Vibro Champ. A is the Blues Jr, and C the Vox. (My Pathfinder 15 was noise as all get-out....got rid of it).

My preference overall is B!

What do I win? :D

I'll give this a couple of days for folks to listen and weigh in. How about if I post the answers on Monday?

I like B best. I think C is the vibrochamp, B is blues Jr, and A is Vox

Hmmm.

I'm going to say A: Vox
B: Vibro Champ C: Blues Jr

I'll give this a couple of days for folks to listen and weigh in. How about if I post the answers on Monday?

– Rockabillybob

– Rockabillybob

Cool!

A=BJ, B=Vibro, C= Vox

Hmmm.

– mshehan

Hmmm.

– mshehan

I agree with mshehan's guesses and "B" was my favorite. I found "C" a little too tubby and "A" was a bit mid-rangey for my tastes.

A) VOX

B)blues jr.

C) vibro champ

i liked C the best...

I'm going A. Blues Jr B. Vox C. VC

A=Blues Jr B=Vox C=Silverface

Below are the correct answers I pasted 2/27/12!

What do I win??

Amp A...Fender Blues Jr III

Amp B...Vox Pathfinder 15 w/Jensen speaker

Amp C...Fender SF Vibro Champ

What the heck, I'm in.. A: Vibro, B: Blues Jr., C: Vox

I have never heard any of those amps before so guessing would be tough but B has some nasty sounding clipping. Is that the amp or the recording? could just be my sound card too I guess.

I'd say, a = vox, the rest = fenders, Me = I don't know amps.

/JR

I think it's a trick question, they are all the same amp...probably a mid 80s ss gorrilla

My guess is the same as Metman's:

Amp A= Vibro Champ Amp B = Blues Jr. C = Vox Pathfinder

I think it's a trick question, they are all the same amp...probably a mid 80s ss gorrilla

– vic

– vic

How'd you know? But seriously, I used to have a Gorilla. Traded it, and $75 for the Vibro Champ!

This thread has totally convinced me that other peoples opinions and descriptions about amps and their tonal character are no guide to be trusted. LOL. When we use terms like "chimy" and "clean" and "round", or "warm" and "brittle"... it's clear to me that we think we are talking about the same things, but we are all hearing different stuff.

A great post, Rockabillybob! I don't own any of these amps, but Amp B soundedbroadly like a Vox to me. The others, I would have picked as Fenders, but without checking the specs of the tubes and speakers on the net, all I could say is that I thought Amp A had a better high end clarity than Amp C.

Looking forward to Monday! :)

I couldn't wait to get home to hear these on good speakers! The amp sound that I like best in descending order is C, A, then B. Being a SF Fender Fan-boy, I will say C is the Vibro Champ, A is the Vox Pathfinder w/Upgraded speaker, and B is the Blues JR. It's all subjective, but I still hope I'm right! :)

On my little computer speakers, I really couldn't tell. C is the only one that I could hear a difference on. I am really only familiar with the sound of the Blues Jr overdriven, and not the other two, so I have no clue.

Register Sign in to join the conversation