Other Amps

Supro Coronado - Burning smell?

Ok so I was at a rehearsal yesterday and we smelled an electronic burning smell (there was no smoke) and we traced it to my Supro...the amp is a couple years old so it's fairly new in its lifespan. I shut everything down and the amp was fine afterwards. I played it again today at home for about 15 mins and no problems...I tried both inputs, tremelo works, everything works. But something definitely was frying inside I just can't figure it out by just a cursory outer inspection. I would think that if something burned up there would be some impact on functionality but there doesn't appear to be. Anyone ever experience this before?

I have an amp that used to run really hot, and it made residual flux from solder joints drip and emit a burning smell. Otherwise, I'd suspect a screen grid resistor, or just plain dust.

It'd be worth a look inside the chassis just to be safe. Could be a resistor, capacitor, or transformer on it's way to component Valhalla.

Or it could be dust. Still, it's worth a look.

check your power tubes...if they start drifting they can cause smoke in the grid/screen resistors on the tube socket...usually blows the fuse at the same time..but worth an inspection

luck

cheers

Open it up and post a photo of the insides! Whatever happened will happen again...better to take care of it now.

Ok so I was at a rehearsal yesterday and we smelled an electronic burning smell (there was no smoke) and we traced it to my Supro...the amp is a couple years old so it's fairly new in its lifespan. I shut everything down and the amp was fine afterwards. I played it again today at home for about 15 mins and no problems...I tried both inputs, tremelo works, everything works. But something definitely was frying inside I just can't figure it out by just a cursory outer inspection. I would think that if something burned up there would be some impact on functionality but there doesn't appear to be. Anyone ever experience this before?

– Mr. Trouble

Billy Z is spot on, get it in the shop.. old drifty resistors and leaky caps, replace them.

Hmm if it's a fairly newish amp, I would be stalking their headquarters asking why you have to be looking for leaky resistors and bad caps so soon. But that's me.

I checked the inside, I looked at each component I could see and did not see any evidence of burning or scorched parts?

God I hate PCB mounted tube sockets. That's gotta be asking for trouble.

Can you remember if the amp sounded any different while it was so hot? Did it sound extra bright/brittle, different in any way?

Everything looks so clean, it would be hard to think it was dust but maybe so. You may have gotten lucky.

God I hate PCB mounted tube sockets. That's gotta be asking for trouble.

Can you remember if the amp sounded any different while it was so hot? Did it sound extra bright/brittle, different in any way?

– JimmyR

When the problem first happened the amp distorted and fizzled out a bit, but it hasn't happened since, I turned the amp on yesterday and noodled around a bit and couldn't get anything bad to happen...today I cranked the thing as loud as it would go and jammed for 10 mins...nothing bad happened. I'll probably take it in to a tech just to be sure but I have a gig and really wanted to use this thing...guess I'll have to whip out the Musicman 112RD.

Register Sign in to join the conversation