Other Amps

Super Reverb Old vs New

The re-issue will never sound like a real one because it isn't. Everything in the re-issues is as cheep as they can possibly make it, the components are all cheap tiny little PC mount parts mounted on a cheap PC board, which contains lots of layout & wiring mistakes. Take both of your amps out of the cabinets and look at the difference!

– Billy Zoom

Right on Billy. This is why many of us tout buying a good SF amp over the new ones.

Nope. Pro is 2x12. Vibrolux Reverb is 2x10.

– jalexanderdixon

Good correction. A Pro is half a Twin. I have a BF Pro and an SF VR and the VR is under rated IMO. The Pro is a beast to move but the VR is acceptable in that regard.

The AB763 circuit was used in a number of different amps, plumbed to different transformers, speakers and of course different sized cabinets. Rob Robinett on AB763 model differences.

Here is an article that describes some of the ways you can affect amp characteristics by substituting preamp and/or other non-power tubes in AB763 amps. I didn't look to see if anyone has had any luck trying some of these tricks in the reissue. And of course any of the mods which require rewiring almost certainly would be no-go on PCB style amps. You can get nice laid out turret boards from Hoffman and others for building your own : )

I'd be curious if Curt's low-headroom Super was achieved with just tubes, or perhaps donating one of the channels or vibrato to an extra gain stage? Years ago at a shop I played a real blackface Princeton reverb which gave it up at like '3' into incredible breakup. I didn't think to ask since I was distracted by guitars. Later when I did a bit of work on my own Princeton I read about gain-stage mods and remembered that surprising amp.

JB rebuilt it so he can confirm but I think it’s all from abuse!

The best way to season rock and roll equipment!!

Just out of curiosity...what do you guys think less headroom means?

For me I'm thinking about where in the continuum of soft to loud the power amp begins to color the sound with output tube distortion. So I would say my BF Princeton Reverb clone gets really loud before breakup - to where I need Tavo and AnalogMan to help me overdrive it at polite volumes. I have a 1972 silver face Deluxe Reverb, on the other hand, which provides very pleasing distortion (which I believe to be coming from the output tubes) at about 4-5 and nowhere near as perceived loud as the Princeton Reverb. So by my understanding I would describe my Princeton as having more clean headroom to resist distortion for longer while my Deluxe has less. I know from hanging out around here that Billy really knows what it means and I'm looking forward to his response and accept any deserved lashes for possibly being FoS : )

Headroom (an automotive term literally referring to how much room there is between the top of your head and the roof of the car.

There’s room inside both my Silvertone Twin Twelve and Ampeg Portaflex to stow their heads. That makes them headroomy.

The Silvertone cab is made from composite rather than plywood, though, subject to easy breakup if roughly handled. One bottom corner is all stove in.

Don't ask me about legroom, that's a completely different deal.

All 40 watt amps are equally loud when they break up. The only way to make them break up more quietly is to lower the wattage. The wattage rating of an amp is how loud it can get before it breaks up. Distortion begins when the amp can't get any louder, and it just gets more distorted instead of getting louder. Besides making the tone fatter, distortion also causes massive amounts of compression which makes the guitar sustain more, and that's why you like it. No matter how clean you're playing, your amp is always putting out full power and distorting and compressing...it's all just a matter of how much. Think about this.

Don't ask me about legroom, that's a completely different deal.

Amp legroom is a measure of whether, when you carry the amp with your arm completely extended (because you're too old and feeble to actually lift it), the amp clears the ground. If your legs are too short, the amp lacks legroom. If you can't carry it at the full extension of your arm even when leaning away from the amp...it's too much amp for you, son.

I'm looking to sell. Anybody interested in a 1966 Ampeg gs 15-r ?

All 40 watt amps are equally loud when they break up. The only way to make them break up more quietly is to lower the wattage. The wattage rating of an amp is how loud it can get before it breaks up. Distortion begins when the amp can't get any louder, and it just gets more distorted instead of getting louder. Besides making the tone fatter, distortion also causes massive amounts of compression which makes the guitar sustain more, and that's why you like it. No matter how clean you're playing, your amp is always putting out full power and distorting and compressing...it's all just a matter of how much. Think about this.

– Billy Zoom

Trying to fully understand this, two amps around the same age that are the same model, what makes one breakup before the other?

I bought a blackface super reverb from Jody Porter which was his dads. Josh rebuilt it and there’s nothing like it. Less headroom than my 65 Deluxe.

– Curt Wilson

I think I saw that in your shop way back? 4-10s yellin' at you is a great experience.

Register Sign in to join the conversation