Other Amps

Suggestion needed for an amp to power a 15” speaker. Have cabinet n…

The Quilter InterBlock 45 will put out 45 watts at 4 ohms, and it sounds darn good. I like the tone control setup much more on the InterBlock than on the MicroBlock, though it sounds good, too. The new Tone Block 202 or the Pro Block would do fine, too, though I'm not sure that speaker would enjoy all 200 watts of them.

I’m digging what I read on the frenzel amp.

Anyone own one ?

– Gasmoney

I came close but decided again no I didn't need it .

I remembered that you were a tweed guy and thought it would be your best bet. Unfortunately most of the clips on that site are done on Marshall side of the preamp. Sounds good to me as I wanted to blend it with the 5e3 side.

Was always curious he makes that same amp with 6SL7 preamps.

https://www.frenzeltubeamps...

Having had several 1x15 cabs amps, my first tries would be:

BF or SF bassman head. Cannot go wrong.

Quilter OD200. I used my 101 mini with a 1x15 and was not impressed. Then again, I did not care for that amp through anything. Now using an OD200 through various cabs, and I am greatly impressed. Not in any way the same as that 101 mini was. This little head would be my first choice to try.

MD

Any amp you like that works with 4 ohms.

Yeah the more I look the more I'm leaning at a 65-67 BF bassman head. There are quite a few and prices are 550-650 . I'm sure it would sound darn good.

If you do a 180 and decide to go low watt fatness I have a 5E-9 Tweed Tremolux rat rod build you can have. Complete chassis only, you’d need to make a head cabinet. I would build one but I only have one arm right now. Super deep, slow swampy tremolo. I’ve been using it thru a big box cab with a 15” speaker.

I would take up Powdog's offer! As soon as I saw 15" speaker I thought Tweed Pro, but any small tweed would sound great through that.

If you do a 180 and decide to go low watt fatness I have a 5E-9 Tweed Tremolux rat rod build you can have. Complete chassis only, you’d need to make a head cabinet. I would build one but I only have one arm right now. Super deep, slow swampy tremolo. I’ve been using it thru a big box cab with a 15” speaker.

– Powdog

Ethan, I'm betting that low power Plexi you built would sound pretty cool through a 15".

I may have to try that sometime.

– Powdog

Ethan thank you --I'll take you up on your offer. Ive sent you an email already.

I look forward to a swampy tremolo. The GDP is really a special place.

Fred

I’ll email you some pics when i pull the chassis out of this cab.

My 55 5E9 tremolux is a beast. Should be great.

Register Sign in to join the conversation