Other Amps

Standels

I don't know why people rave about their old amps (which I think are beautiful but don't compare with the better newer amps for sound).

– Pt

I've never found another amp that sounds like a tube Standel, and a 50s 50L15 can be had for cheaper than a new 25L15. I have both, and rave about both. Saying the old ones "don't compare with the better newer amps for sound" is about the farthest from the truth, in my experience.

I know it's not why you buy them, but that looks absolutely killer!

I know it's not why you buy them, but that looks absolutely killer!

– Scorpio

I buy them because nothing else sounds like them to my ears, but I sure don't mind looking at them! Thanks!

Looks gorgeous, Jonathan. I never heard of that model but I look forward to your soundbite!

Finally got the restoration on this one done. Between J Design working on the cab and Skip Simmons fixing the circuit, it's much closer to original than it was.

Wow- i just got the same amp Jonathan, 20J12T- its a bit later, early '62 with the pilot lamp on the panel above the 'standel' logo (like the early hybrids). 2 6BQ5's... . it'll be here next week.

Also- i got my s80 tuned up and running well....just an incredible amp

If anyone knows where i can get a cab for the S80 let me know, it would be the S12

Wow- i just got the same amp Jonathan, 20J12T- its a bit later, early '62 with the pilot lamp on the panel above the 'standel' logo (like the early hybrids). 2 6BQ5's... . it'll be here next week.

Also- i got my s80 tuned up and running well....just an incredible amp

If anyone knows where i can get a cab for the S80 let me know, it would be the S12

– JohnnyF

There was a guy on the Standel group on Facebook who had one available a few months ago.

Thanks Jonathan! i signed up for the group- never knew it existed....looks cool!

Register Sign in to join the conversation