Other Amps

Standels

I'm in the Lehigh Valley, PA. If you want to try my 25L15 sometime, let me know.

– senojnad

Didn't realize you were so close! I'm 30min out of Easton (in NJ)... if you ever have gigs, definitely let me know!!

I recently picked up an Artist XII. When I turn it on, the power light goes on but I get no sound. Any tips on where to start troubleshooting?

Here's my S80 that I'm working on getting fixed. I believe it's a 1957 or so and was converted into a combo at some point. Possibly by the steel guitarist that owned it prior to me.

Thanks Joao.....Does your tube Artist have vibrato? Would love to see more pics of that!

– Jonathan A. Sipes......maker of aluminum dust.

It does have a tremolo that's unique, deep and "strange" in a great way. I'm about to record with it and I'll take more pictures and send it over. I just freaking love this amp...

It does have a tremolo that's unique, deep and "strange" in a great way. I'm about to record with it and I'll take more pictures and send it over. I just freaking love this amp...

– João Erbetta

A bunch of years ago I snoozed on an Artist like yours on eBay that went for under a grand...I was holding out for a butcher paper amp. I wish I had a time machine......

VERY NICE, Jonathan! What can you tell us about it's year of birth, how it lines up/compares with your 25L15....... etc.?

Years ago I had a mid 60s Standel Custom 82L15V hybrid amp - it had the solid state epoxied bricks for the pre-amp with two 805 tubes in the power section, running a JBL D130 speaker. It was a really nice sounding amp. In fact I sold it (to Setzer here on the forum, maybe he still has it?) only because it sounded so much like my brownface Showman that it was pretty much redundant.

The only issue with the 60s Standel amps is the mysterious pre-amp blocks - if one isn't working, there's no way to repair them, and not much in the way of information on schematics for replacement.

VERY NICE, Jonathan! What can you tell us about it's year of birth, how it lines up/compares with your 25L15....... etc.?

– senojnad

I can only guess about the year...I believe it's 1961ish, but again...that's a guess. It's not a hybrid amp...all tube. It has a light-up face plate. It's not nearly as loud as I was expecting, but I need to get it to a tech for a once over to know if that's normal. It actually sounds very similar to my early hybrid amp (32J12T), with just a tiny bit of snarl when I lay into the strings. Both of these amps are a tiny big more aggressive than my 25L15....they both sort of sound like a cranked 25L15, but at quieter volumes.....there's a "thwack" when you hit the bass strings that my 25L15 only does when it's starting to clip.

I suppose a lot of Standel threads got lost in the great data dump, so I figured I start a new one. Post 'em if you got 'em

– Jonathan A. Sipes......maker of aluminum dust.

are these originals or recent

how do the recent models compare to the originals

are these originals or recent

how do the recent models compare to the originals

– Rey Allen (Jeff O)

My new Standel 25L15 (Jan., 2011) has absolutely glorious sounds and is my favorite amp of all time. In my case, that's a LOT of time..... My only gripe is its 55 pounds. I resolve that by moving it as little as possible.

NOTE -- I have never played a vintage 25L15. so I can not make any valid comparisons. I CAN tell you that when I play my '59-6122 through my 2011 Standel, I do NOT sound exactly like Chet Atkins did when he played his Gent through his early '50's Standel.

Register Sign in to join the conversation