Other Amps

Standels

Here is a link to my original report from the Gretsch Talk site....

http://www.gretsch-talk.com...

– senojnad

Thanks Dan, that was a very thorough and informative review of the Standel, as well as that comparison with the Executive. I do enjoy the Exec's reverb - not much use for the tremolo - and as you stated, it's a great one. I got mine to mate up with my Gretsch for the 'Chet' sound and it delivers in spades. I paid $1500 for mine which isn't much more than a Twin RI when you add in tax and the Twin doesn't have a 15".

I've never seen a Standel for sale and not only are they expensive but I hear there's quite a wait to get one. I'm glad I found mine. I could pony up for the Standel but the lack of reverb - I don't really warm up to pedal reverbs - and the wait had me go after the Exec. I'll still do a test if I can find someone with a Standel.

Windsordave -- I had started "shopping" in earnest for a Standel around 2005-06. I found ZERO that were for sale or available for trying. At that time, the waiting list was 18 months to 2 years.

My local dealer had an Executive sitting in his showroom that was getting NO interest from customers. I tried it several times and concluded that it was an incredible amp with a LOT of similarities with the 25L15. I eventually gave up on my Standel dream and bought the Executive.

However, the "dream" never died. A couple of years later the wait was down to 90 days. It was at a time when I had unexpectedly come in to enough money to pay for it, so I took the plunge.

I've heard recently that the waiting list for a Standel is pretty long again and the prices have gone up (above $4K USA). They are in a similar price range with other high end amps, including the top Fender EC model, Alessandro and several others.

The Executive is an extremely fine amp! Since they are no longer made, they should not lose any value as long as they are in reasonably good condition.

Reverb pedals -- I've never been a fan of them. However, since buying the Standel, I've found two that I'd match up against "the best" on-board reverbs:

1. VanAmps ReverbMate/SoleMate
  2. Strymon Flint (I haven't tried other Strymon reverbs).

Reverb pedals -- I've never been a fan of them. However, since buying the Standel, I've found two that I'd match up against "the best" on-board reverbs:

1. VanAmps ReverbMate/SoleMate
  2. Strymon Flint (I haven't tried other Strymon reverbs).
– senojnad

Hey Dan, that's good info. I've written it down to have on hand in case a Standel minus the reverb falls in my lap! Yeah right!

But seriously, thanks for those recommendations. If you ever get the chance to play thru an Oxygen amp I'd be interested in your opinion of it.

If you ever get the chance to play thru an Oxygen amp I'd be interested in your opinion of it. - Windsordave

I've never seen an Oxygen amp in my travels, but you've peaked my curiosity! I will be on the alert for any opportunities to try one.

All I can add on this topic is the following, I used to swear by Fender Twins. At that time I used two of them and the sound was enormous, glorious highs and thumping lows, what a sound and what a feeling at volume. After hearing Bill Light a few times I got interested in a Standel. Then one day an S80 became avaliable and I snapped it up. Now, I'd use my Twin in a pinch only, the Standel is just so over the top good. No it doesn't have reverb but that is easily fixed with pedals or I have a Billy Zoom Little Kahuna that is killer. For effortless cleans and massive headroom wall of sound type of thing I don't think anything else comes close.

All I can add on this topic is the following, I used to swear by Fender Twins. At that time I used two of them and the sound was enormous, glorious highs and thumping lows, what a sound and what a feeling at volume. After hearing Bill Light a few times I got interested in a Standel. Then one day an S80 became avaliable and I snapped it up. Now, I'd use my Twin in a pinch only, the Standel is just so over the top good. No it doesn't have reverb but that is easily fixed with pedals or I have a Billy Zoom Little Kahuna that is killer. For effortless cleans and massive headroom wall of sound type of thing I don't think anything else comes close.

– CBell

Well said Sir. Happy New Year too

I am sorry to report that this all original Standel S50 popped up on ebay last night and was there for almost 3 hours.

I can only wish it was on longer so that others could have had a chance at it...

I am sorry to report that this all original Standel S50 popped up on ebay last night and was there for almost 3 hours.

I can only wish it was on longer so that others could have had a chance at it...

– CBell

Are these amps solid state? I'm guessing there is a JBL in the cab too? Looks like its ported interesting... I'm intrigued by these amps. Not to sound like a fool but what is so special about these ones?

Later in life Standel became the first to build solid state amps but this one and the earlier ones are all tube. These amps are everything Fender wanted to be and more. Massive sound! Tons of ultra clean headroom!

Jonathan, once again, that is one fine guitar.

Someone give me a quick "schooling" on the Standel thing.... I mean, what's the magic? Are these dead-clean-all-the-time amps? Is that why people love them? Because Chet used them? Is it a Chet-dead-clean thing? lol

When most vintage amps are heralded and loved for their breakup/overdrive.... even if it's just a TOUCH of breakup.....the Standels are sought after because.....?

My opinion only but yeah, it's all about the clean and massive full sound. Tons of bass without being too much and shimmering mids and highs that sparkle. It's like the best Fender Twin, but more. It's the kind of clean that doesn't need dirt to sound full.

My opinion only but yeah, it's all about the clean and massive full sound. Tons of bass without being too much and shimmering mids and highs that sparkle. It's like the best Fender Twin, but more. It's the kind of clean that doesn't need dirt to sound full.

– CBell

Ah ok. Totally get that. That's what I suspected. The Fender Twin comparison puts in in perspective.

– CBell

Nailed it!

Just curious... can anyone compare the Standel(s) to the high-powered TWEED Twin? (or is it really more comparable to the BF circuit?)

Not a Fender, it's got its own thing going.

– CBell

CBell nailed it!

None of the Fender Twins I've owned or played over the years does these things nearly as well as a Standel. That's why Chet bought his in the first place. (He bought his "used" by the way.....)

There were other guys "back in the day" who apparently were closet Standel users.....

Well, even tho I'm not a "squeaky clean tone" guy... I almost always like at least a bit of breakup, I love learning about amps and gear.... if I ever run into a Standel, I'll be sure to play it.... but I'm glad it's not yet another amp added to my GAS list!

Well, even tho I'm not a "squeaky clean tone" guy... I almost always like at least a bit of breakup, I love learning about amps and gear.... if I ever run into a Standel, I'll be sure to play it.... but I'm glad it's not yet another amp added to my GAS list!

– ruger9

I'm in the Lehigh Valley, PA. If you want to try my 25L15 sometime, let me know.

Bill Light plays through one every Wednesday night at Scatturos in Marlton, NJ at his open jam.

Bill Light plays through one every Wednesday night at Scatturos in Marlton, NJ at his open jam.

– CBell

Plus 1 Baby! Gonna be a good one tomorrow

Register Sign in to join the conversation