Other Amps

Standels

Jonathan, that is an embarrassment of riches. Beautiful.

There oughta be a law ag'in it. Beautiful collection, Jonathan. I am green with envy.

I'd like to be that embarrassed!

Here's "my two cents".... (Well, actually a bit more than $0.02...)

I believe it was RedRocker who posted an egregious Standel pic a few years back...and I offered to "house sit" anytime...

Have we seen GuitarFarm, lately? I think I made him an offer, too.

I could be our resident professional house sitter if I put my mind to it...

Here is my Standel Artist model prototype. It has two inputs, one for an acoustic guitar, 100 watts of power via four 6550 tubes and a three knob Fender Style reverb built in.

Now, the sad part. This amp was stolen from me. After six or so years, a young man contacted Danny over at Standel seeking for some info on a amplifier he chanced into. Danny, of course, recognized it as mine.

I made contact with the guy who wanted to do the right thing, and he returned the amp to me. (I wanting to do the right thing too, gave him a Tomkins Custom guitar as a way of saying thanks.)

The reason this young man was able to chance into the amp, is because it suffered some flood damage and is currently in the need of restoration.

But, it is back in my possession, and for that I am grateful.

photo 4650_1186738787237_6457815_n_zps360af3b4.jpg

– Jay Hardtke

WOW!! I seem to recall that Danny McKinney referenced your collection on his site..... Any new additions (to make the rest of us even more envious)??

photo 4650_1186738787237_6457815_n_zps360af3b4.jpg

– Jay Hardtke

Sir.....you have no compassion for the rest of us who can't even find, let alone afford one of these, let alone a flock of them!!! Some will drool to the point of dehydration!

Mid 50's 50L15 w/ JBL D130

Mid 50's S-80

Very early S80 belongs to friend

50's S80T next to my main gigging S80. I have the original cabs I just don't take them out to the gig. JBL D120's are hard to come by.

Billy, very nice. S80's a very cool, and really pair well with P90s. They have a real growl and drive without really distorting. One of the best tones IMHO.

Dave & Dan, that pic is 5 or 6 years old and most of those have been 'redistributed'

FWIW, I think the 25L15 reissues are probably the best new amps available. Impeccable quality and incredible tone.

photo 25L15x2copy_zpsd9b011d7.jpg

yeah man. S80's are the Schnit! The 50L15 ain't no slouch either

FWIW, I think the 25L15 reissues are probably the best new amps available. Impeccable quality and incredible tone. Jay Hardtke

I agree completely. To my ears, the "new" 25L15 has the finest tones, and the best range of tones, of any newly built amps I've experienced over the last decade.

I've never had an opportunity to play a Bob Crooks' era Standel, even though owning a Standel has been very high on my Bucket List since around 1960-ish. So I can not offer any "new vs. vintage" thoughts.

The build quality of the new Standels is without equal IMO.

I had a new 25L15, I bought it because I didn't want to gig with my 50L15. It was a killer amp but it did not sound like my vintage Standel. So I sold it. I gigged the 50L15 til I got my S80. Just killer. If you get a chance play a vintage one.

If I could find someone near me with either a new or original 25L15 I want to take my Gretsch Executive over along with my Super Chet and have a shootout. I can't imagine the Standel being audibly better but that question can't be answered just yet. The build quality and parts used are excellent and that 15" speaker gives it quite the fat, clean tone.

I played through a Victoria 2x10" the other day and it was quite nice. There's a Canadian amp company here in Vancouver called Oxygen that has quite the quality products. I'm playing through a 2x12" later today when I go to see about the Blue Sunburst pre-FMIC 6120 I mentioned in my thread about these era guitars so I'll report on this amp as well. There's only one US dealer so far and that's in CA. Check them out. I've emailed them asking why they don't make a 15". Their biggest claim is that no expense is spared in hand making every amp with the finest materials.

The late John Cipollina's legendary rig (now on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland) was based on two Standels, a Fender Twin and Dual Showman, plus six Altec horns.

"I like the rapid punch of solid-state for the bottom, and the rodent-gnawing distortion of the tubes on top" John Cipollina

I believe it was RedRocker who posted an egregious Standel pic a few years back...and I offered to "house sit" anytime...

Have we seen GuitarFarm, lately? I think I made him an offer, too.

I could be our resident professional house sitter if I put my mind to it...

– Twangmeisternyc

I only wish I had, that would mean I'd own one!!

If I could find someone near me with either a new or original 25L15 I want to take my Gretsch Executive over along with my Super Chet and have a shootout. I can't imagine the Standel being audibly better but that question can't be answered just yet. The build quality and parts used are excellent and that 15" speaker gives it quite the fat, clean tone.

I played through a Victoria 2x10" the other day and it was quite nice. There's a Canadian amp company here in Vancouver called Oxygen that has quite the quality products. I'm playing through a 2x12" later today when I go to see about the Blue Sunburst pre-FMIC 6120 I mentioned in my thread about these era guitars so I'll report on this amp as well. There's only one US dealer so far and that's in CA. Check them out. I've emailed them asking why they don't make a 15". Their biggest claim is that no expense is spared in hand making every amp with the finest materials.

– Windsordave

I bought a Gretsch (Victoria) Executive early in 2008. At the time, it was the best amp I'd owned or played (I started playing in the mid 1950's).

I bought my Standel (new) 3 years later (Long story..... I "had to do it"......)

For me, the Standel was superior in many ways and I eventually sold my Executive -- I couldn't justify keeping two amps that were so similar and so expensive. My good news was that I actually sold my Executive for a little more than I paid for it!

(I was hoping to add a link to the original "road test" report/review that I posted here back then, but it seems to have been lost in the "crash".....)

Register Sign in to join the conversation