Other Amps

Standel 25L15

Hey fellow Gretschpage'rs, there appears to be a Standel 25L15 listed right now on "the 'Bay" for the incredible price of "only" $4,822.97 and $142.00 shipping. Now I am very leary of vintage and collectible guitars and amps from a few particular countries. Please check out the photos of this amp. To me something just doesn't look right! Being a big fan of these amps for a very long time, I have never seen a vintage or reissue amp with this configuration. Maybe I missed something!!?? My oriental amp tech, Sum Tin Wong agrees with me. What do yall think? Maybe I just need to pay closer attention and get out more! Thanks yall, Steve

It's a sham listing, so whether the amp itself is right or not doesn't really matter. It's a rampant thing for listings from Japan. These come up under many IDs, but may just be one organization, or one guy.

Here's how it works. They list things at grossly inflated prices (a used reissue Standel should be more in the $3000 or so range). You hit the "Buy It Now" and one of two things happen.

A) The seller is able to source the actual item for considerably less than what you're paying, you actually get your item, and seller makes a tidy profit with no investment or risk.

B) The seller can't get the item, tells you "Sorry, out of stock" or "Sorry, damaged," and then says "But, can I interest you in..." If you decline, then you (probably) get a refund.

They're pretty easy to spot. This seller has nearly 4000 active listings in a gazillion categories, which is usually a pretty good indication that something's amiss. But if you narrow it down to just guitar amps, that's where the telltale sign is. Every amp listed is pictured in a different setting. These sellers are clearly just pulling massive amounts of pictures of gear from the web and creating fake listings.

([A] used reissue Standel should be more in the $3000 or so range)...

A) The seller is able to source the actual item for considerably less than what you're paying, you actually get your item, and seller makes a tidy profit with no investment or risk.

I found the amp, and indeed that is exactly what would happen if you hit the "Buy It Now" at $4,822.97. The actual amp is for sale here:

https://www.j-guitar.com/pr...

It's priced at ¥ 324,000, which is roughly $3,040. So, somebody doesn't do their research, wants a 25L15, falls for this listing and the seller has turned about an $1800 profit with no investment. I don't know how often it actually works, but it must be working well enough. These listing have massively proliferated in the last few years. I first noticed them when I recognized pictures of Gretsches that were clearly from Thrill on the String in Japan, and it clearly it wasn't Thrill on the String listing them on eBay.

As for the amp itself, it looks to be some sort of custom variant, that had effects loop, etc., that have either been removed or for some reason never installed. But I'm guessing it's a legitimate reissue. It's not one of the standard models they offer.

As for the amp itself, it looks to be some sort of custom variant, that had effects loop, etc., that have either been removed or for some reason never installed. But I'm guessing it's a legitimate reissue. It's not one of the standard models they offer.

– Afire

It's an early re-issue. That's how they were.

You seem to know a lot about Standels, and Iknow you have a couple. Maybe this is outside your area of interest, but do you happen to know whether there is a definitive correct schematic out there for the 25L15? Building one is something I'd love to do. I really don't have the skills to just read a schematic and put something together. I'm guessing there isn't a detailed layout, but maybe between a known good schematic and spending some time looking at some of the good detailed pictures that are on the web now, I could come up with something.

Hey fellow Gretschpage'rs, there appears to be a Standel 25L15 listed right now on "the 'Bay" for the incredible price of "only" $4,822.97 and $142.00 shipping. Now I am very leary of vintage and collectible guitars and amps from a few particular countries. Please check out the photos of this amp. To me something just doesn't look right! Being a big fan of these amps for a very long time, I have never seen a vintage or reissue amp with this configuration. Maybe I missed something!!?? My oriental amp tech, Sum Tin Wong agrees with me. What do yall think? Maybe I just need to pay closer attention and get out more! Thanks yall, Steve

– Steve Sanders

My thoughts are to just keep looking for a used one in the US & Canada or buy a new one. There are folks around here who buy from Japan and haven't been stung, but when I see the same item advertised by different sellers and they're half a world away, my instinct is to have nothing to do with an IMO, unscrupulous and unfairly overpriced selling practice. This is a rare enough amp that will garner a fair bit of attention and has been pointed out, you wouldn't be buying it from the actual owner. I consider it something of a shell game.

Do what you feel like but remember, caveat emptor.

It's an early re-issue. That's how they were.

– Jonathan A. Sipes......maker of aluminum dust.

I agree. I have a reissue 25L15 (Jan. 2011). Many of the details on this amp look like it was made by Danny McKinney/Requisite Audio/Standel. However it is clearly NOT a vintage Standel and not worth the asking price.

When I ordered my amp Danny had mentioned that he had used his own (Requisite Audio) speakers for a while rather than NOS D-130's, but indicated those speakers were not up to par with the JDL's.

So yes -- it is a Standel reissue. But worth $4+G? No way.

My thoughts are to just keep looking for a used one in the US & Canada or buy a new one. There are folks around here who buy from Japan and haven't been stung, but when I see the same item advertised by different sellers and they're half a world away, my instinct is to have nothing to do with an IMO, unscrupulous and unfairly overpriced selling practice. This is a rare enough amp that will garner a fair bit of attention and has been pointed out, you wouldn't be buying it from the actual owner. I consider it something of a shell game.

Do what you feel like but remember, caveat emptor.

– Windsordave

It has nothing to do with whether you can buy from Japan without getting stung. This is not a legitimate listing, plain and simple. It's fake. I posted the real amp and the real seller. No need to consider whether $4800 is an unreasonable price. It's a scammer that doesn't own the amp that's "asking" $4800. The actual seller is asking $3000.

I realize that there's a lot wrong with the posting but as the listing is from Japan, I just pointed out that this is the only country I see this scenario of multiple dealers listing the identical guitars and amps for sale. That for me is enough reason not to deal with any of them, even if the price is reasonable.

Your knowing all the details of this amp Afire, just proves the scam aspect.

It's too bad that this guy/these guys are making Japanese listings look suspicious. When I see something interesting and notice it's in Japan, I check the other listings from the seller, and more often than not, it's one of these scammers. But they really aren't hard to spot. Like I said, the obvious tell is that all of their pictures have different backgrounds. If you see that, it's a scam. If not, it's probably legit.

If anyone is "jonesing" for a vintage Standel I'm selling my 1960 Artist J3015T for $1,400 plus shipping. It's been recovered by J Design as it came to me badly recovered from the beginning. Fully serviced by Skip Simmons, original Jensen, one replaced Transformer but the original comes with it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation