Other Amps

Standel 25L15

There is a 25L15 Standel for sale over on the Chetboard. I am pretty sure it is a reissue. It looks like new. I am pretty sure I have met the owner. David Brewer from California. He is a retired Chip (California Highway Patrolman).

Very good price - $2900 plus shipping.

Better act fast

Richard, I just signed up there to contact the seller but am awaiting approval, would you please contact them on my behalf and pass along my email address: unionjacksband@aol.com

I NEED this amp

Thanks! Frank

I sent the email and also posted in the thread, just in case. Good luck. It sure looks like a beauty.

Thanks so much Richard!

I've been emailing with Danny McKinney about ordering a 25L15 reissue this past week and was about to send a deposit. Getting this amp would save me a bit of money and I wont have to wait a year for it (Danny quoted approx 12 month build time).

I was going to order a 5 knob version with gold/creme upholstery and wheat grill cloth, but I can live without to have the amp sooner....this one at least matches Chet's :-)

Good luck Frank ! Sure hope you snag it.

For some extra tone shaping, consider looking into the Empress ParaEQ. Great unit.

Thanks Mitch.... Not yet verified on the Chet board but Richard was nice enough to pass along my info.

Haven't heard from the seller, BIG pet peeve when people list things and aren't prompt to reply. I really really really hope I can snag it. Fingers crossed

Thanks so much Richard!

I've been emailing with Danny McKinney about ordering a 25L15 reissue this past week and was about to send a deposit. Getting this amp would save me a bit of money and I wont have to wait a year for it (Danny quoted approx 12 month build time).

I was going to order a 5 knob version with gold/creme upholstery and wheat grill cloth, but I can live without to have the amp sooner....this one at least matches Chet's :-)

– Frank James

My Standel has the creme upholstry with Golden Wheat grill cloth. The photo of the amp on the Chet Board looks like creme with Oxblood grill cloth. Changing the grill cloth would not be a big deal later on -- you would just have to find the cloth you like. Danny McKinney might be willing to sell you a piece (??).

The "Standel" name plate is clear plastic and will work with any color grill cloth:

5 knob vs. 3 knob --- While I like the Contour and Accent controls, I find that I change those settings less as time goes on.

It sounds like you can achieve some pretty interesting variations using an Empress ParaEq, per Mitch's recommendation.

I agree with Richard -- the amp shown on the Chet Board looks NEW, like it was made around the same time as mine (??). The serial number will tell you when it was shipped -- at least that's how Danny McK. was doing them two years ago. (i.e., XX11611 = Jan. 16, 2011)

Good luck with your efforts to land it!

My Standel has the creme upholstry with Golden Wheat grill cloth. The photo of the amp on the Chet Board looks like creme with Oxblood grill cloth. Changing the grill cloth would not be a big deal later on -- you would just have to find the cloth you like. Danny McKinney might be willing to sell you a piece (??).

The "Standel" name plate is clear plastic and will work with any color grill cloth:

– Senojnad

Good tip Senojnad. Looks like regular Fender 'Wheat' so that should be easy to source if I wanted. Who's to say the Oxblood won't grow on me though.

I can't get too ahead of myself though, still haven't heard from the seller :|

If this sale doesn't work out and I order a new 25L15, I'm gonna do creme/gold upholstery with wheat grill like the one pictured.

Just for reinforcement, I've PM'd the seller as well indicating you're a serious, ready buyer. Good luck Frank !

Thank you so much Mitch. I just responded to an email from the seller. I asked for a shipping quote and how he wants payment....ball is rolling :D

I was messing around with my nylon string last night trying to learn Drive In. It is just unbelievable how good that amp sounds.

In line with that, Mitch, I wish you would tell me how to do that little transitional thing at the end of the stanza. The rest of it has come together pretty good. I sure miss Paul Yandell. All it would take is a phone call.

Thank you so much Mitch. I just responded to an email from the seller. I asked for a shipping quote and how he wants payment....ball is rolling :D

– Frank James

– Vibramute

:D :D :D

Richard, "Drive In" is on my to learn list but have not attempted it yet. So many tunes, so little time.

Here's 2 vids by Marcel Dadi I just uploaded to my youtube account you may glean from: (download before I get told to take them down ?)

DRIVE IN (Performance)

DRIVE IN (Instructional)

Good news Frank ! She'll be yours before ya know it !

Never mind. I found the Marcel Dadi instructional video on youtube. I'll take it from there. As usual, I was trying to make too much out of it.

Speaking of gleaning Richard, do you play "Poor People Of Paris" ? I'm needing some tips on the fingering of the opening E9 to get the pinky to cover both the g and b strings at the 7th fret and then get the B note on low E string for the bass.

(sorry Frank.... Keep us posted on the progress ?)

Mitch, I didn't see your links until after I made my post. I never got to meet Marcel. I think his plane went down in 1998, and I didn't start circulating in those circles until 1999. He seemed to be a very likable guy. I really like to hear him play.

Indeed a great player. So many fine Chet influenced guys out there. What a treasure Chet truely was eh ? I think he also may have influenced player's attitudes and behavior ie humility etc.

Mitch, I don't play that one very well, but what little I know about it I learned from Doyle Dykes. Get the E7 much the same way as Marcel does in Drive In, and then just use the pinky on the 2nd string. No need to finger the 1st string. The bass, as you mentioned, is open E and thumb on the 7th fret for the alternate, B.

My apologies also to Frank for the derail.

Thanks Richard. I'm trying to get the pinky to grab the G string as well as the B string (double stop) for the full 7th tonality. I can play it just fine with the single note pinky on the 7th fret B string but it misses getting the full chord. Oh well... I like Doyle Dykes playing of it as well.

Frank, we should get a room, I know 8-o

OK Frank, plenty of time.... is she yours yet ? 8-)

– Mitch Crane

– MitchC

Waiting on a shipping quote and payment details from the seller but its looking good so far.....8-)

FWIW, the shipping charges on my Standel were $100. That was in Jan., 2011, from Ventura, CA to eastern PA via UPS.

Mine was VERY WELL packed, around 15 to 20 lbs. of packing materials, in a box that was (is) about 36"W X 30"H X 24" deep.... a LOT bigger than the amp, so you can imagine how much "stuff" was inside. Curiously, the box itself looked "home made" from boxes for TV sets. I had assumed it would come in a box labeled "Standel" and made/sized specifically for shipping a 25L15.

So, Frank, if yours arrives in a strange looking box, it may very well be the original!

Register Sign in to join the conversation