Other Amps

Speaker cab questions

Anyone put 10’s in a 2x12 cabinet? I love the sound of Celestine Greenback 10’s(punchy without being crazy loud)? I have the cabinet already and would just need to modify the baffle. I’m thinking of getting an 18watt British style head and thought a 2x10 cab would be a good match. Any downside to using a 2X12 cab other than weight and size?

Adapter rings would be an easy way to do that.

18watt.com is a great forum for that kind of info. Lots of builders there. It’s an awsome platform, so many ways to go with it.

On a personal note, I like mixing speakers. A 10” and a 12”, alnico and ceramic, bright and dark. 1974x clones are bright amps. Something to keep in mind.

Adapter rings would be an easy way to do that.

18watt.com is a great forum for that kind of info. Lots of builders there. It’s an awsome platform, so many ways to go with it.

On a personal note, I like mixing speakers. A 10” and a 12”, alnico and ceramic, bright and dark. 1974x clones are bright amps. Something to keep in mind.

– Powdog

GIbson amps mixed speaker sizes for years. I had a G35RVT with a 10" and a 12". One that made sense to me had a 8" and a 15".

Adapter rings do make sense. Simplest way to do it. Going to a smaller speaker makes more sense than going to a larger speaker in a small box.

I’ve done it once or twice.

Yep,what Ethan said,I like mixing too....also like 10’s as such for the Bandmaster Ethan built for me.And Weber has the rings he speaks of ready to go.

Paired a ten-inch Eminence Legend with a Celestion G12 (both 16 ohms) in a Peavey Valveking combo. Since the amp section self-destructed I've used the box as an eight-ohm speaker cab. Works fine with the old Traynor YBA-1 head. I knocked up a 12-to-10 converter ring from plywood for the Eminence -- my woodwork is a bit crude but it does the job.

Paired a 15" SS speaker with a 12" Eminence in a bass cabinet for a short time. The sound was much more responsive to treble inputs, but I did something wrong... over about 30% volume, the 12 started OD'ing and sounding just nasty.

Guess I wasn't meant to monkey around inside boxes.... much. Took out the 15 and added a second 12 and all was well, just not as thumpy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation