Other Amps

small battery powered amps

Cool! My buddy has one and it runs just fine off a rechargeable 12 volt garden tool battery.

Interested to hear what you think.

– Powdog

Well, the Smicz amp came and I’ve been playing it all day. I am surprised how good it sounds. Like a Princeton, but a tad closed in. And through an extension speaker it’s quite big. Not as much volume as a Champ, breaks up easily and the reverb is useless, but for a battery op it’s remarkably good.

So...you're going to take the amp on your motorcycle, strap a guitar to your back, and drive around to shopping malls busking?

Ah. Very good. No strapping then.

I think the Miata offers a factory installed tip jar as an optional add-on.

Just FYI, the Blackstar SuperFly is the SDOD for $150, includes backpack and power supply. Never heard it, but thats super cheap for what it does

https://www.musiciansfriend...

I bought this Blackstar Fly 3 used on Guitar Center's website for $40. It sounds really, really good and not at all like a toy. I'm tempted to open it up to see if I can find a tube.

Frank live with his Pignose.

Well, the Smicz amp came and I’ve been playing it all day. I am surprised how good it sounds. Like a Princeton, but a tad closed in. And through an extension speaker it’s quite big. Not as much volume as a Champ, breaks up easily and the reverb is useless, but for a battery op it’s remarkably good.

– Bob Howard

If you ever want to sell the Smicz let me know.

I recently bought a used Yamaha Thr10. People are selling them because the new 20 watt model with blutooth etc. etc came out. And if you spend even more it comes with a rechargable lithium ion battery.

The thr10 sounded very good for acoustic level rehearsal (meaning our singer and I are singing without microphones) on batteries, is tiny and weighs about 6 lbs. Prior to buying it I tried my friend's 5 watt model (thr5) outdoor busking in a park with the Colorifics trio alongside an upright bass and it did the trick for a clean sound.

I bought an appropriate lithium ion battery pack with build in controller for and charger for $40 and am installing it in the area formerly occupied by the battery tray on my thr10. Also I have my electrical engineer brother in law building me a patch switching footswitch so I can basically use it without any pedals and switch sounds live and in rehearsal which I usually do with pedals and space echo. (there's instructions online)

The effects are quite good and you can edit all the patches extensively on your computer too (The new expensive 20 watt version lets you do this on a cell phone but I don't use those) For the price the used ones are selling for (average $200 Can)I think their great for portable decent sound. The new model is probably almost good enough to play with a quiet drummer. Very useful as all my rehearsals lately have been in outdoor spaces.

– Powdog

I’ll think about it and let you know.

Saw this just now at the stupid deal MF site.Link

– Powdog

PM sent.

Register Sign in to join the conversation