Other Amps

small battery powered amps

I know of

Roland Micro Cube -- has modeling added Orange Mini Crush --has nothing added Boss Katana (one of the Katanas) has delay added

Any others?

Roland Cube Street EX owner - bigger, but extremely useful bit of gear. Lots of really useful features, good battery life, and great volume to weight.

Yamaha THR series are great and have modeling... I googled Battery powered amp and it took me to Sweetwater. They carry many brands.

I really like my Yamaha THR10. Its easy to take out in the deck and play in the cool summer evenings.

I tried out several for strictly the battery power. The Micro Cube gives you a little over 6 hours with 6AA batteries, at full volume. And when it goes bad, it does so quickly. In volume, it compares favorably with a Vibro Champ or a Gretsch 6150T. In central California where power outages (and the utility thugs known as PG&E) are common, it's proved itself to be a real winner. Hows the Gadabout holding up?

Vox has quite a few. The DA series comes to mind as do others.

Then, there's the Pignose. Coolest knob ever.

Smicz Portablues. Nothing else like it. 12 volt battery generates 350 B+ volts for a hand wired, Class A all tube amplifier running a 12AX7 and 6V6 to produce 5 watts. Sounds just like a blackface Champ.......cause it is. Virtually unobtainium.

Thanks for all the info. I will pick something simple and cheap for my lo-end use. STill have not found a Gadabout schematic but I think my tech can be talked into taking it on without one. Will keep looking tho.

The ZT Lunchbox Junior can run on batteries. Only 5 lb.

Best sounding: Mike Mathews Freedom Amp, circa 1969.

I’d love to hear one. Not sure I’d like to own one. It put out a whopping 55 watts but needed forty D cell batteries to get there. Bet it sounded awsome.

Smicz Portablues. Nothing else like it. 12 volt battery generates 350 B+ volts for a hand wired, Class A all tube amplifier running a 12AX7 and 6V6 to produce 5 watts. Sounds just like a blackface Champ.......cause it is. Virtually unobtainium.

– Powdog

Found one. Bought it.

Found one. Bought it.

– Bob Howard

Cool! My buddy has one and it runs just fine off a rechargeable 12 volt garden tool battery.

Interested to hear what you think.

Vox DA-5, now discontinued, is mighty fine. Several very usable models and way more effects than you'll use. Small and mighty.

I own the Yamaha though mine is the THX version. Very happy with that little amp!

Anyone have any experience with the Vox mini 5 rhythm? It gets good reviews but is a bit pricey.

I have the mini 5 rhythm. Bought it just for practice with the drum machine... don't do it often enough. But it's handy, I personally prefer more fender sounds than those available. The Bassman is a dead wasp in a jam jar of mud, that voicing never seems to work well. Cheap and fun amp though. Take battery panel off to lose some boxiness

My #3 son picked up an Orange Crush Mini a few years ago. I took it apart and wired in a 1/4” output jack that bypasses the internal speaker, then built this 1x12 speaker cab. It has a Vin30 inside and gets surprisingly loud. It’s a great little mod that turns a toy amp into an impressive amp head.

Microcube GX here. I've also had the older Vox DA5. They are about the same, and IMO, any of these amps with tiny speakers... like the Yamaha, Katana mini, etc... are pretty much all the same. You might PREFER the sound or effects of one over the others, but there isn't really a "better"... they are all a compromise. But the Yamaha seems to be a long-reigning "king" of this "world"... well, it and the Microcube. But then, I just like Roland stuff.

Yamaha THRC 10 here. Had it for three years now and only recently loaded batteries in it. To me, it sounds better with batteries than when it is plugged in. Was almost ready to sell it, but not now.

I spent a fair bit of time at a Roundup playing through one of the Yamahas which gets all the love, and it does indeed sound good - especially with the effects. Because of the cab design and speakers (I'm guessing), the overall sound is much like a studio-processed, well-recorded guitar coming out of a small boombox. That is, the output is very composed and refined, it makes the most of the speakers, and is flattering to the tone - but it kinda doesn't sound (to me) like an amp.

The Voxes, on the other hand, sound more "amp-like" to me, less like a recorded guitar through a radio, and more like - well, a live amp in the room with you. But yeah, a very small amp, and invariably a little boxy. I understand higher quality replacement speakers are available (even in that small size) which improve the tone considerably - and of course if you rig it up to run out to an 8, 10, or 12 in a real-sized speaker cab, it becomes not so much a tiny amp as a capable but low-power amp.

I spent a fair bit of time at a Roundup playing through one of the Yamahas which gets all the love, and it does indeed sound good - especially with the effects. Because of the cab design and speakers (I'm guessing), the overall sound is much like a studio-processed, well-recorded guitar coming out of a small boombox. That is, the output is very composed and refined, it makes the most of the speakers, and is flattering to the tone - but it kinda doesn't sound (to me) like an amp.

The Voxes, on the other hand, sound more "amp-like" to me, less like a recorded guitar through a radio, and more like - well, a live amp in the room with you. But yeah, a very small amp, and invariably a little boxy. I understand higher quality replacement speakers are available (even in that small size) which improve the tone considerably - and of course if you rig it up to run out to an 8, 10, or 12 in a real-sized speaker cab, it becomes not so much a tiny amp as a capable but low-power amp.

– Proteus

Agree with all of this- I had a similar experience with 2 different Fender GDECs. GREAT little practice amps, especially if you want lots of programmable effects and memory banks of your favorite tones, AND backing tracks, but... sounds like a RECORDING of a guitar, not a guitar amp. I lived with both a GDEC 3-30 and a Microbe GX for the last few years, recently sold the GDEC... the MC sounds more amp-like, and it's simpler. (plus, it can be powered with batteries, for out at the fire pit, unlike the Cube). Again- they are all a compromise, in one way or another.

BTW when I had my little DA5, I modded it with a speaker out jack, and DID plug it into a 4x12. It sounded like a REAL amp, no joke. The sounds are SUPERB, but it's hard to tell through that tiny speaker/cab.... I was planning to build a nice wooden cab with a 10" speaker, and put the DA5 chassis in it.... but these days, I simply don't have the time.... sold the DA5 when I bought the GDEC (with the cool western "tolex")

I modded it with a speaker out jack, and DID plug it into a 4x12. It sounded like a REAL amp, no joke. The sounds are SUPERB

Interesting. I never needed to go that far, but the amp hasn't left the family (I giftloaned it to my brother, who's learning to play), so I can still give it a shot. Even as is, it's too nice a tool to let go; I'm happy to hear it scales up to a real cab as I thought it should.

It's little more than a toy, but works well for its size.

Register Sign in to join the conversation