Other Amps

small battery amp roundup scene

There is just so much choice now, and is even stuff I miss after a prolonged search.

What you do you all know about what's out there in strap-over-shoulder type of battery guitar amps? Sort of to complete w/ Roland Micro Cube but hopefully w/o all the modeling and distortion dogs**t. So we're talking the really small ones.

Maybe there isn't anything. This is apart from those things you attach to body of an acoustic guitar.

I recently bought one of these Blackstar Fly 3 battery powered amps. It has dirt but you can play it clean.

I remember trying out a Zinky (?) that was made to look like a pack of Lucky Strikes but the Dynas made the thing sound like a distortion fest, and not in a good way. I'll stick with the 'cube which would be better if you could do delay and reverb (the only effects that really matter) at the same time. Someone needs to invent one that's wireless that uses your phone as a head and then you can go to the sound bar of your choice. Some 10 year old is prolly working on that now.

Wasn't this discussed very recently? No strap but the Yamaha THX(?) gets a lot of love. And yes, I own one!

Probably by me but I forget .... so I guess the Cube is still the best thing going. All the others were new to me.

Go get the THR10C. Best small amp.

I have a Microcube GX, and it does a fine job. If I ever decide to buy another small battery amp, it will likely be the Yamaha (whichever one runs on batteries), I have read nothing but raves about them for many years.

Researching these amps, the 10C (with the "normal" i.e. not high-gain models) is no longer being made... used only. It seems only the 10II and 10X are still available new? (as well as the 5s)

Ah... I see.... the THR10II has the ability to upload ALL the Yamaha models.... meaning, it can have the C and X models inside of it as well. Interesting.

Boy, the new one "II" with that UGLY grill: a hundred "Y"s... definitely liked the looks of the original better.....

Not an over-the-shoulder amp, but give the VOX Adio some love. No surprise, it nails classic VOX amps with nuance and subtlety.

Many here love classic VOX chime with Gretsch spank and bark. Well, here ya' go.

Not an over-the-shoulder amp, but give the VOX Adio some love. No surprise, it nails classic VOX amps with nuance and subtlety.

Many here love classic VOX chime with Gretsch spank and bark. Well, here ya' go.

– rhcole

Vox also made a line of small DC powered amps as well---DA3, DA5 and so on, not to mention a load of headphone "amplugs".

Researching these amps, the 10C (with the "normal" i.e. not high-gain models) is no longer being made... used only. It seems only the 10II and 10X are still available new? (as well as the 5s)

Ah... I see.... the THR10II has the ability to upload ALL the Yamaha models.... meaning, it can have the C and X models inside of it as well. Interesting.

Boy, the new one "II" with that UGLY grill: a hundred "Y"s... definitely liked the looks of the original better.....

– ruger9

This thread got me interested in a portable battery powered practice amp too. It's something that I've thinking about, on and off, for a few years. We have beautiful winter weather in Arizona, and it would be so nice to be able to play while sitting in the backyard, or at the park.

I'm considering one of the THR10 II or THR30 II Wireless amps. Sweetwater has them, and I'm tempted to grab one up.

"With the addition of an 'optional' Line 6 Relay GT10 transmitter, they're free of cord clutter". Why do they make the one component that makes the whole 'wireless' thing work optional? It's that money thing, and it's not just a few more dollars, it's a hundred of them! Apparently the amp has the receiver built in to it, but they conveniently don't include the transmitter!

The wireless versions (THR10 II and THR30 II) also have a rechargeable battery (the base model doesn't), but they're $150 and $200 more, respectively, than the $299 base model (it's just money, right?). It's getting a little pricey when you add a hundred dollar transmitter to the purchase ($550 - $600).

I could just get the base model, and plug in a cord and buy batteries, but I keep the gear that I buy, and long after the sting of the price tag fades, that is niggling feeling that "I should have bought the better one" remains for life.

I think they could have used any other color, and it would have been more attractive. That's a sticking point, they're butt ugly, but I could overlook that since they are one of the best things going in this type of amp.

Why do they have to be so cool? Isn't GAS a bugger bear?

The latest THRs have IR. Unless you need them, then buy it. Otherwise, just buy the old THR and get a U2 XVIVE wireless. Saves you money. And this is what I did.

The latest THR have built in batteries. I prefer the old model, with standard batteries.

Thanks, jetbunny, I appreciate your help! The new ones are pricey and I really dislike the color.

Register Sign in to join the conversation