Other Amps

Show us your homebuilt amp!

weekend project from an old silvertone organ. basic tube amp. I've since put some old Fender grill cloth on. Photobucket

these are waiting for some time availablility to add some tubes.a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll11/76buggy/?action=view&current=cabssm.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

Here is the amp project I'm working on currently.

It looks like a dog right now. Does anyone know a good place to have a custom face plate made? :)

[edit] Ah, and here is the build thread: http://gretschpages.com/for...

Surprised to see an amp from my birth town Alkmaar here, MaBerY. What is that rectifier tube? Looks bigger than a 5U4GA.

It's a TAD branded 5U4G, I suspect it's a Chinese Shuguang rebranded

So you came from Alkmaar too Frank? Nice to meet another cheesehead here 8-)

I love the joints on thise amps. I wish I didn't suck at wood work!

I wonder if anyone has found a schematic of the Fender Excelsior yet. That would be the kind of amp I like to build...

I wonder if anyone has found a schematic of the Fender Excelsior yet. That would be the kind of amp I like to build...

– Frank Bas

– Frank Bas

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://gretschpages.com/for...

here's mine i built about 10 years ago, right channel is straight up blackface deluxe reverb, left channel is tweed champ preamp into the deluxe power amp. 2x10 weber california speakers. Haven't used it in years. Don't know why it always sounded great.

There are some real beauties here. Impressive work and a real inspiration.

Here's mine, a 5w Marshall-ish kit build (12AX7 and EL84), in a 2x10" combo, also added VVR to make it more "family friendly". I was really pleased with the way the etched brass logo plate turned out but it was a nightmare of a job.

The main reason for building it was to find out a bit more about valve amps and wasn't really expecting the end result to be more than a toy, but it has rapidly wormed its way into my affections and is now my #1 amp.

There's some real craftsmanship on display here. I'm only in the planning stages of my first build, a 5E7 Bandmaster. I want a hardwood cabinet with no exposed screw heads. Those of you who have done that, like GuitarFarm and Dave MacLeod... How are you attaching the chassis to the top of the cabinet? I've thought about brass inserts into the top (too risky that the inserts would pull loose) or making a lift system attached to the ends of the chassis with bolts to push it up against the top of the cabinet. How are you doing it and keeping it tight and secure?

Thanks.

Fender 1957 Twin (5E8A) in a bloodwood cabinet. Bloodwood is an exotic hardwood from Brazil. I found out the hard way that I am allergic to the dust from machining and sanding it. Put a cane front on this one and a glass panel on the back to show the wiring.

– GuitarFarm

Fender 1957 Twin (5E8A) in a bloodwood cabinet. Bloodwood is an exotic hardwood from Brazil. I found out the hard way that I am allergic to the dust from machining and sanding it. Put a cane front on this one and a glass panel on the back to show the wiring.

– GuitarFarm

Man that is a sweet amp... she is so classy...I'd be afraid to haul it back and forth to gigs for fear it would get scratched or banged up.... I bet she sounds sweet too...

here's mine i built about 10 years ago, right channel is straight up blackface deluxe reverb, left channel is tweed champ preamp into the deluxe power amp. 2x10 weber california speakers. Haven't used it in years. Don't know why it always sounded great.

– Johnny_Atomic

– Johnny_Atomic

oooh how nice... best of the best Fender worlds...all in one box....nice work.

weekend project from an old silvertone organ. basic tube amp. I've since put some old Fender grill cloth on. Photobucket

these are waiting for some time availablility to add some tubes.a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll11/76buggy/?action=view&current=cabssm.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

– notenuff

– notenuff

nice collection ... I would be all over these...wow

Guitarfarm....... day-ung. The collection grows. - My money is on the 5E8A to win. The Kendrick to show.

– Johnny_Atomic

– Rick Trotter

– Johnny_Atomic

– Rick Trotter

thanks, i built it about 10 or more years ago.

I'd like to build a tweed deluxe, that would be a fun project, and not too complicated, i bet it's half the parts count of this amp

This is a 1970s Earth "Revival" (Bassman copy) that I gutted and had recovered in blue sparkle. I installed a Crate V32 "Palomino" chassis, four 1970s Sunn 10" speakers, and a vintage Accutronics 17" reverb pan (not pictured). It's loud and heavy, runs hot (class A), but sounds great.

Register Sign in to join the conversation