Other Amps

Seriously, Fender?

Is it just me, or have they lost their minds?

https://www.sweetwater.com/...

I'm sure it's got better tonewood from 100 years of farts on those benches. And we all know the old farts were better, since they weren't infused with modern preservatives.

No one fahts at the Hollywood Bowl. Patrons must pledge to refrain from gaseous diffusions, retrain their sphincters, and retain their flatuus. Infractions are ignited with blow torches to embarrass the offenders.

The precious gas is used instead to facilitate levitation to the divine music. (When Pink Floyd played there, some patrons were prosecuted for scandalous midair behavior with the flying pigs.)

That's how this ACTUAL (not imitation) 110-yr old yeller cedar was able to resonate to the legendary music played there. At any lesser theatre patrons at least in the front row would have remained seated during performances, completely dampening any grain-limbering vibration of the seats, rendering it dull and inert as tone wood.

Hollywood faht-powered levitation is the whole KEY to the superior organic natural complexly harmonic resonance of this bespoke tonewood.

Do we have to splain EVERYTHING to you guys, er WHUT?

$7,500!

I mentioned the term, "A fool and his money...", in another post. Seems to fit here, too.

I'm not currently in the market for an amp, otherwise, no way !! My first new car, a 69 SS Chevell, cost half what they are asking for that amp. And it probably sounded a lot better too.

I agree that, sadly, this thing is undoubtedly going to sell for that full price.

Given the price, the photos and specs -- that looks like massive ignorance.

...but it’s “front row” and we all know “that” goes for a premium. I wonder if they have any second or third row dandys? I might bite at one of those.

And they'll sell every last one...

Talk about cork sniffery! I’ll pass on this.

You can get some of the same wood here. Surely one of the builders on our forum could come in at a lower price point. Maybe.

i think it's great!!! you know what a heavy role the hollywood bowl played in r&r history?...the beatles alone!!!....

like rick kelly of carmine st guitars in nyc sources reclaimed wood from old nyc buildings for his beautiful tele re-creations...i think it's great...and that olde wood can be unmatched!!

of course not for the everyday player, but a great treat for a pro or a collector

i'd bet macca would want one!!

cheers

$625 per watt.

At least with these hi-end Cu$tom $hop guitars you are getting something pretty decent -- this is just a $1000 amp at least with a gimmick. I"ll take a Mojo cab any day over this

never underestimate the importance of the cabinet in producing tone!!

the present state of mdf and composites is all about $$$$ not tone!!!...& they aren't even as durable!!!

hollywood bowl!! that's some well cured wood!! hah

cheers

To be honest the only thing I don't like about the amp is the price. If I could find timber like that I would build one for myself. And if I built the amp as well it would sound even better.

Given the bull$hit asking price, this is just a crock. Smacks of the Emperor's New Clothes story.....some people can be convinced of anything, no matter how ridiculous, in this case that being the price.

12" is a deal breaker.

I dunno, I think they may be trying to pull a fast one. The finish is described as "A thin satin finish ". Not A thin Nitro finish. Poly would devalue it by at least half,what say ye ?

Now, if it were made from the seats from the old Yankee Stadium....

Well, maybe even old Shea Stadium!

How many of us would be tempted - or compelled, even - if this was 750.00, not 7,500.00?

There’s a reasonable (if not completely rational) buyer for this. He either makes ten times the money you do, or he’s made it in the past - or was born with it. He could be 50 - 75, in failing health, and concerts he attended decades ago at the Bowl are his fondest memories. Or he could be much younger, completely obsessed by the history of popular music - and maybe that venue - and sick with nostalgia for an era he can never live. Maybe his grandfather worked at the Bowl, or has told him tales of legendary concerts. Maybe he’s just a nuttily obsessive Fenderabilia collector.

Whoever he (or she, or she buying for him) is, he also reveres Fender tone. It’s an article of faith: it’s just the best. And he plays a bit of guitar. Maybe not a lot, but the time he spends plugged in is the best time he spends.

He has no financial uncertainty; he and his are fed, clothed, housed, saved for, and covered for any medical contingency. Maybe he’s given tons to charity - or maybe it would never occur to him (her, them), so it’s irrelevant to ask how he could better spend the money, because it’s this or some other consumer bauble or gambling or travel or investing in crackpot schemes. Doesn’t matter - it’s never going to be your money.

Point is, buyers for this amp spend 7,500.00 like you spend 750.00 - only the money means even less than that to them because it’s completely excess to any conceivable need, as such needs are already covered.

Deciding to buy this contrived memorial, intended to evoke the vibes of another era, is no more troublesome, risky, or frivolous than our blowing 750.00 on a weekend mini-vacation.

Of course these pieces are phenomenally profitable for Fender, but on the other hand, Fender practically subsidizes beginning players and us serial collectors of modest means with the low prices in the Squier line. (Also profitable, of course - but the result of complicated world trade, economies of scale, and decades of business creativity and acumen not easily reproduced or imitated. Hardly stealing candy from babies.)

I’m not the customer for this amp (nor the MFD and tolex version, for that matter), but it’s hardly the most egregious example of money for nothing we’ve seen, even in the music biz. I don’t quite say it’s Fender’s duty to liberate these customers’ excess money and put it to work - but it’s also not predatory. Maybe it’s just opportunistic, from my financial perspective, but it’s creatively so. (It’s also not very risky. What if the amps don’t find buyers at this price? There’s SOME price at which they’ll sell - and given the cost of manufacture, the venture will still surely be profitable.)

Money is so fluid, and so incomprehensibly distributed in its relative proportions, that being outraged at this product is akin to whining, perhaps enviously, that things just ain’t fair. Well - who said they were? Maybe Fender will make better use of the profit here than the people whose bank accounts it will pass through. Maybe some of it will be invested in developing stuff we’ll like and can afford. And maybe it will just pass through FMIC to its employees, suppliers, communities - maybe it will just be fluid money, flowing through the economies of the world in the same way water makes its way through its cycles, making the world go ‘round. (Metaphorically. I know the world literally goes around thanks to the angular momentum imparted when it was struck by its smaller twin planet billions of years ago.)

Anyway, them what plays in the arena where such things are made and bought, I don’t begrudge them. To make sense of it, I can’t ask if this amp would make me 7,500.00 worth of happy, because in my situation that many zeroes on such a trinket don’t compute. But, if I liked it, would it make me 750.00 worth of happy? Would I get that much pleasure, satisfaction, joy, and/or use out of it? Then the question makes more sense.

I don’t know if we’re outraged that there are people who can easily afford this, or that Fender thought of something to sell those people. If I’m jealous of anything, it’s that I haven’t thought of a similar scheme to liberate the truly excess money that’s out there looking for a way to redistribute itself. I mean, you know Fender is only going to pick the pockets here of someone for whom that much money is trivial - not pry it away from Squier buyers who have to calculate it in their budgets.

How many of us would be tempted - or compelled, even - if this was 750.00, not 7,500.00?

There’s a reasonable (if not completely rational) buyer for this. He either makes ten times the money you do, or he’s made it in the past - or was born with it. He could be 50 - 75, in failing health, and concerts he attended decades ago at the Bowl are his fondest memories. Or he could be much younger, completely obsessed by the history of popular music - and maybe that venue - and sick with nostalgia for an era he can never live. Maybe his grandfather worked at the Bowl, or has told him tales of legendary concerts. Maybe he’s just a nuttily obsessive Fenderabilia collector.

Whoever he (or she, or she buying for him) is, he also reveres Fender tone. It’s an article of faith: it’s just the best. And he plays a bit of guitar. Maybe not a lot, but the time he spends plugged in is the best time he spends.

He has no financial uncertainty; he and his are fed, clothed, housed, saved for, and covered for any medical contingency. Maybe he’s given tons to charity - or maybe it would never occur to him (her, them), so it’s irrelevant to ask how he could better spend the money, because it’s this or some other consumer bauble or gambling or travel or investing in crackpot schemes. Doesn’t matter - it’s never going to be your money.

Point is, buyers for this amp spend 7,500.00 like you spend 750.00 - only the money means even less than that to them because it’s completely excess to any conceivable need, as such needs are already covered.

Deciding to buy this contrived memorial, intended to evoke the vibes of another era, is no more troublesome, risky, or frivolous than our blowing 750.00 on a weekend mini-vacation.

Of course these pieces are phenomenally profitable for Fender, but on the other hand, Fender practically subsidizes beginning players and us serial collectors of modest means with the low prices in the Squier line. (Also profitable, of course - but the result of complicated world trade, economies of scale, and decades of business creativity and acumen not easily reproduced or imitated. Hardly stealing candy from babies.)

I’m not the customer for this amp (nor the MFD and tolex version, for that matter), but it’s hardly the most egregious example of money for nothing we’ve seen, even in the music biz. I don’t quite say it’s Fender’s duty to liberate these customers’ excess money and put it to work - but it’s also not predatory. Maybe it’s just opportunistic, from my financial perspective, but it’s creatively so. (It’s also not very risky. What if the amps don’t find buyers at this price? There’s SOME price at which they’ll sell - and given the cost of manufacture, the venture will still surely be profitable.)

Money is so fluid, and so incomprehensibly distributed in its relative proportions, that being outraged at this product is akin to whining, perhaps enviously, that things just ain’t fair. Well - who said they were? Maybe Fender will make better use of the profit here than the people whose bank accounts it will pass through. Maybe some of it will be invested in developing stuff we’ll like and can afford. And maybe it will just pass through FMIC to its employees, suppliers, communities - maybe it will just be fluid money, flowing through the economies of the world in the same way water makes its way through its cycles, making the world go ‘round. (Metaphorically. I know the world literally goes around thanks to the angular momentum imparted when it was struck by its smaller twin planet billions of years ago.)

Anyway, them what plays in the arena where such things are made and bought, I don’t begrudge them. To make sense of it, I can’t ask if this amp would make me 7,500.00 worth of happy, because in my situation that many zeroes on such a trinket don’t compute. But, if I liked it, would it make me 750.00 worth of happy? Would I get that much pleasure, satisfaction, joy, and/or use out of it? Then the question makes more sense.

I don’t know if we’re outraged that there are people who can easily afford this, or that Fender thought of something to sell those people. If I’m jealous of anything, it’s that I haven’t thought of a similar scheme to liberate the truly excess money that’s out there looking for a way to redistribute itself. I mean, you know Fender is only going to pick the pockets here of someone for whom that much money is trivial - not pry it away from Squier buyers who have to calculate it in their budgets.

– Proteus

Well said, Tim.

Register Sign in to join the conversation