Other Amps

reverb pedal question

Is there such a thing as with 2 inputs and outputs so you can run two things thru it at once... some one said this one does

https://reverb.com/item/147...

I don't get what this stereo trip is either. But I am not a pedal person really so don't stay up with this. To me the most modern thing is like the 1972 Maestro Phase Shifter

Stereo. Because we have two ears, separated in space by several inches, and pointed mostly 180 degrees away from each other (though focused somewhat forward).

So when we’re in a real space (a room, a hall, a cathedral, a cavern), our ears pick up different patterns of acoustic impulses reflected off the walls or other surfaces of the space, arriving at different times to our two ears. The differential between what our ears detect is what enables our brains to locate audio sources in space.

A stereo reverb device (of course amplified through stereo reproduction) emulates all that, creating a left-right stereo image from a input source. No matter how wet you make it, how “big,” mono reverb comes from one place. Stereo reverb surrounds you. It emulates how your signal would sound in a different space than the room in which you’re listening. In that way, it’s more realistic than mono.

But it can also be unrealistic in creative and entertaining and inspiring ways, because effect designers have combined reverberation (zillions of tiny echoes) with other effects: delay and other time-domain phenomena like chorus and flagging, eq, modulation, tremolo, you name it. And when they program slightly different amounts or characters of these effects in each side of the image, the complexity of the overall effect is more aurally stimulating to the brain.

When I switch from a mono reverb to stereo on the same signal, it sounds like the sound has moved from the middle of my head to both sides, surrounding me. It’s more immersive.

That’s why stereo reverb. And I believe all stereo verbs are digital: after using real rooms, water tanks, coiled springs, and steel plates to create the illusion of space, mankind figured out how to manipulate signals with math to model physical reality.

If your main reference point for reverb is spring reverb, and you compare a real spring to the emulations in pedals, you may or may not be convinced. Along with plate reverb (and outside of the obvious hybrid effects mentioned earlier), spring is the most artificial effect digital verbs emulate. (Both spring and plate evolved as pretty low-tech - but still electronic - ways to create an artificial illusion of space.)

Several recent pedals have gotten very good at simulating all the artificial behaviors and artifacts of springs. (They’ve been good at emulating plates for decades; turns out the cool parts of spring reverb are harder to model.) But if you live and die by good ol’ spring reverb, you may or may not be impressed or even entertained by a digital stereo reverb. You should probably use real springs.

For my purposes, that’s not what stereo digital verb is about. It’s about the realistic modeling of the behavior of sound in real rooms - and the creative possibilities of the crazily unreal spaces the hybrid effects inspire. I also usually actually prefer plate to spring, so a good plate emulation in a pedal is often my home base.

So. Could you use the Digitech Supernatural stereo reverb pedal (which is a turd, by the way) to reverberate two instruments, by using one input-output pair for each? Yes, though you might create grounding and phase issues by tying two signal chains together in one pedal. But even without that, you wouldn’t have separate control over the reverb type, depth, time, or tone of each instrument. Both would be treated the same - and since their outputs would be half of the stereo field the pedal intends to create, I would expect it to sound thin, muddy, or otherwise unconvincing.

If you need to apply different reverb effects to two instruments, buy two reverb pedals. Even cheap ones are good now. And I’d get two different stereo reverbs, because they can be run in mono if you want (which seems to be what your question asks), but you could also play with the stereo options.

Why do they have two inputs if not for two instruments, you may ask. Well, because that lets them be connected after other stereo effects (usually modulation and delay) without “collapsing” the signal back to mono. ANY stereo verb lets you plug in a mono source and will create the stereo effect at the two outputs.

For simpletons like myself I would think that a better use case would be an a/b pedal which lets your run A or B or both and then just run the pedals separately on each side? It depends on if you're intending to use this as an effects loop or if you want to actually run reverb on both lines.

What's your end desired result?

I liked the Proteus dissertation -- stuff I never knew or had a clue about!

I am not a tweaky spring reverb purist although I used to be. I don't use wet sound, etc. Just a decent spring approximation is fine.

I never got along w/ a/b boxes (got one for sale CHEAP) but the answer is made evident in my next post about my new custom build amp. Two channels -- I thought intstad of having two reverbs on top of the cab (I don't put em on the floor) just one until would do w/ both going thru one unit then off to each channel input. But I had posted about what mini size reverbs are any good and lot a few leads ... so if there's not a stomper w/ 2 ins and 2 outs, that will be the way to go.

Two channels -- I thought intstad of having two reverbs on top of the cab (I don't put em on the floor) just one until would do w/ both going thru one unit then off to each channel input.

Yes, that's the way they're intended to be used. One stereo reverb pedal, two inputs - whether on a single amp (where you'll lose the stereo effect anyway, but still get all the intended content) or two amps.

Since you have two Champs, that's the way to go. Set them both up 4-6 feet apart, plug into the mono input of a stereo reverb, then from the L&R outs of the reverb into the channel inputs of the amps.

For cheap, good stereo reverb, I still haven't found anything to beat the TC Electronics Hall of Fame (NOT the Mini), in either its original version or the new one. You can find it under 100.00, it has mono/stereo in and stereo out, and all the reverb programs you'd need. Very clean, pure tone, doesn't mess with your guitar's tone, no noise, compact. (Reverb search: https://reverb.com/p/tc-ele... )

For more entertainment, a used E-H Cathedral isn't much more than that. (See on Reverb: https://reverb.com/marketpl... )

I know you're a Boss guy; their RV-5 (used) is also pretty spiffy.

The trick is probably to stay under 150.00. For not much more than that you can get into used examples of the leading "big box" digital reverbs, which is where you'd end up if you really fell into the rabbit hole - but which are likely overkill (in both capability and complication) for your immediate needs.

Summary: if you just want to experience the effect of stereo reverb, you need one stereo pedal - and two amps.

Would be fun to try. Still I am just one amp @ a time guy. So guess I will have to buy two mini reverbs, one for each channel. A one-knob spring reverb mini is what I will shop for since dual input ones aren't being made.

Still the folks @ EH and other places say doing reverb is one of hardest effects to design and get sounding good. They have made a lot of progress.

No, you can still use a stereo verb. Guitar into the input, each output to one of the inputs of the amp. The reverb will be richer, even if it's not in stereo (unless the inputs of the amp are out of phase with each other).

Would be fun to try. Still I am just one amp @ a time guy.

But if you HAVE two amps there...surely you'd try it. How would you know you're a "one amp @ a time guy" until you've tried the alternative?

@Proteus — excellent synopsis! And I agree 100%!

The crowd won’t get to fully experience and enjoy the sound and feel of a stereo guitar setup unless it’s a small room with an independent amp in a stereo landscape, or without a sound man mic’ing up both the Left and Right speakers and feeding it thru the P.A. accordingly.

It’s pretty much the equivalent of listening to Pink Floyd thru a mono system, VS listening thru it’s intended media...

You’re still gonna get that great Pink Floyd sound... but it would be an amazing experience if you hear it in it’s true sonic interpretation!

No, this was 2 guitars in, 2 guitars out, Just 2 sets of paralell inputs out puts for 2 different signals.

Ah. Two pedals then.

But you know you've been hearing guitars in stereo your whole life - or at least since the 70s, when recording tech evolved to have enough tracks to permit them to be recorded that way...

Stereo will increase or decrease the delay in the onset of the reverb....but so will altering the distance/position of the speakers in relation to the listener. So in my opinion stereo reverb (and delay) are probably more useful effects for recording than live recording. Actually reverb itself isn't that useful playing live because the room is going to give you some of that naturally.

What do have 2 inputs and 2 outputs are studio effects units.

Flint has two separate inputs and outputs. They are not mixed in the pedal. Pricy, but probably cheaper than two other pedals. Plus you get tremolo.

https://www.strymon.net/faq...

I also agree you should try one guitar through two amps, if you have the means

Flint has two separate inputs and outputs. They are not mixed in the pedal.

But you don't get separate control over the two sides. In this highly hypothetical application, it may not matter. But I would think in any actual musical context, each player would want his/her/their own settings.

True, but the Flint sounds good at all settings. Not ideal, but fine for rock and roll. In high school, we all plugged into the same amp.

Anyways, for subtle spring 'verb, I'm sure a happy medium could be reached.

Register Sign in to join the conversation