Other Amps

Restoring an original ‘65 Marshall BluesBreaker

My buddy picked up a JTM45 chassis that had been cobbled, hacked, on fire, modified, desecrated, and generally forsaken for the last couple of decades. The tremolo circuit had been ripped out in favor of some kind of master volume circuit. It was hard to tell, because the amp was not in working condition.

No one else seemed to want to restore order to this old girl to Clapton spec. After all, where you gonna get the tremolo board? The original RadioSpares De-Luxe output tranny? Phew.

Top - the OT is a Drake from a JCM series amp. Nice iron, but not nearly correct.

Looks complicated...and what are those salt shaker things sticking up?

Oh you lucky dog.

Man’s gotta have a hobby.

When that’s done, you wanna take a look at a Kustom head, see if you can debug a couple issues - and generally lower the inherent noise floor?

Give it hell JB. Bring another classic back to life.

It's in very good hands.

Bob - That's where the sparks and smoke come from.

Tim - Absolutely! I'm reconing that EVM you gave me so I can give it to Joe. He's a hell of a good guy and a great player. Google Joe Metzka if you get a chance.

Powdog - I sure am! Some day I'm gonna own one of your builds!

Thanks, JD and Winnie -

Initial thoughts -

This thing is cobbled to hell and back. I want to restore to a point, but I also have to make it roadworthy for Joe. Authenticity to a point, but then durability.

The RS Output tranny is unobtanium, as is a chunk of the correct brown perfboard. But if I can fabricate the tremolo sub-board, it will cover the nasty hack job by whoever put in the bogus output tranny. Enter: Chris Merren.

The amp would have had a Style 1 cabinet, but Joe wants the Clapton look, so we're doing a Style 2 cab. Clapton's was an early chassis, just like this one, so the Beano amp may have been re-fitted into a Style 2 cabinet also. For the cabinet, I'm using Jeff Swanson... although I'm not really happy as he has been yanking my chain for five months now.

The first goal is to get it up and running. I see evidence of a fire under the circuit board, so that may be a challenge.

https://www.mojotone.com/Ca...

I don’t know style 1 from style 2, but this may be a reasonable alternative I f your cab guy falls through.....

I picked up a ‘Mimi-breaker’ from them to transplant another chassis I had laying around....

You’re a talented guy Josh. It will come out great.

Thanks, Matt. I have used a lot of Mojo cabinets in my builds. They are great! That might be Plan B. Thank you Baba!

Chris made me a Dead nuts reproduction of the correct transformer.

He also had a chunk of amazing reproduction turret board. The amp’s tremolo was originally built on a small sub board just like this one I put together.

great work...bringing back an iconic amp!!!

hope your friend joe has an equally nice les paul to put it thru its paces!! hah

cheers

Very cool project. Does it have KT66 output tubes?

Very cool project. Does it have KT66 output tubes?

– Shuggie

I had an odd mismatch of 6550s in it when I got it. It will be back to Gold Lion KT66s soon!

Thanks, Matt. I have used a lot of Mojo cabinets in my builds. They are great! That might be Plan B. Thank you Baba!

Chris made me a Dead nuts reproduction of the correct transformer.

– JBGretschGuy

That is awesome. It makes me almost want to build a JTM45 just to use the OT.

That is awesome. It makes me almost want to build a JTM45 just to use the OT.

– Afire

It took me a long time to get it. He said he had to buy it back from a dealer outside the US. I'm not sure he makes them any more. But he's a very helpful guy.

Very cool, Josh! Can’t wait to see/hear the final result.

Great project, that would be the Marshall I would want to own.

Boy, this thing was knackered! I’m getting it, a little at a time. Some of the pots were seized up solid, so it clearly has been decades since it last ran.

But run it will!

More, including my fabricated tremolo section to mimic the original setup.

Register Sign in to join the conversation